Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 14:12 

Apologize (again) for posting after a long time :) It seems my old PC (or perhaps HD) just isn't up to the task. :| I've run Defraggler to defrag the HD but there's no noticable difference. As before, the PC couldn't even record plain desktop screen (no applications or games) without struggling.
What codec are you using?

IIRC I used Xvid MPEG-4 Codec, DivX, and Cinepak.
You desktop P4 CPU is old and weak compared to the C2Duo in the laptop--it might be choking on the task of running a game and encoding video at the same time.

How dare you call my CPU old and weak! :shock: :D Just kidding...I was wondering because it can run Crysis and Frontlines: Fuel of War fine, but can't run a simple application like VirtualDub :doh

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 15:12 

Sorry for posting on a old topic but can anyone point me another compression codec I can use that wont leave a watermark unlike PICvideo Mjpeg?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 17:26 
Editors
Editors

Sorry for posting on a old topic but can anyone point me another compression codec I can use that wont leave a watermark unlike PICvideo Mjpeg?

No apologies needed. This is why the thread is here! ;)

Did you install the PicVideo codec from the Afterdawn Showshifter demo I linked on the site? It shouldn't leave a watermark with that version.

If you are interested in trying some lossless capturing I've been impressed recently with the UTvideo codec. The newest version for download will be on the last page of the thread.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 17:51 

[quote]Sorry for posting on a old topic but can anyone point me another compression codec I can use that wont leave a watermark unlike PICvideo Mjpeg?

No apologies needed. This is why the thread is here! ;)

Did you install the PicVideo codec from the Afterdawn Showshifter demo I linked on the site? It shouldn't leave a watermark with that version.

If you are interested in trying some lossless capturing I've been impressed recently with the UTvideo codec. The newest version for download will be on the last page of the thread.

Oh I missed that one.
Tried it and yea it removes the pegasus watermark. But there is still another one: "www.xsplit.com" probably from VH screen cap (?), any ideas on how to remove this one?

Thanks for helping and quick answering

EDIT: yea this last watermark as from VH screen cap, got the other version that you recomend on your guide hehe

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 21:52 
Editors
Editors

Bummer. Looks like the entire VH product line has gone commercial. It's a good thing I have an archive of all the previous free versions. ;)

The VH Screen Capture Driver license specifically allows redistribution, so I'll host it on my site and you can grab it from there. Should have that available for download today some time.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 23:57 
Editors
Editors

Download is live on my site. Clear your cache if the page doesn't refresh with the new link.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 16:22 

Alright, thanks a lot for all the help :)

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 02:04 
Editors
Editors

If anyone runs into problems/crashes using the latest version of the VH driver, here is a download of an older version that you can try:
http://generaladmission.home.comcast.net/files/VHScreenCaptureDriver_1.5.0.exe

There are no essential features or performance lost by using this version.

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 02:32 

Hey and thanks for an amazing guide.

I'm completely new to this and by following your guide I've now set it up to record for me! I'm recording World of Warcraft with little to no FPS loss (as opposed to FRAPS where I dropped to 30 FPS first because of the cap and further down to 20 FPS at graphicly heavy moments).

Now, like many others I've had to run in windowed mode to surpass the overlay problem but I'd really like to be able to record in full-screen.
After extensive googling I've learned you can turn off the overlay by disabling your graphics hardware accelerator, either on a single program (if the option is available) or globally on your system (I've no idea how much of a performance loss, if any, this would cause). I'd love to try this at least, but my graphics card drivers won't let me (apparently no ATI drivers will) so I'm wondering if anyone's stumbled upon another way to fix said overlay problem?

I use ATI Radeon HD 4850 btw.

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 07:48 
Editors
Editors

Hi Sally. Glad you found the guide useful.

As to your question, you should be able to customize/disable hardware acceleration via control panel->display properties->advanced button->troubleshoot tab, wherein there is a slider control from None to Full.

I'm on Windows XP, so Vista or W7 might be a little different, but I think the control should be in there somewhere.

The major drawback to this is that many if not most games will cease to work completely if you disable hardware acceleration, so it's somewhat self-defeating. If you manage to get something to work I'd be interested to hear how.

One thing I've noticed that I don't think I included in my guide is that some games record perfectly in fullscreen when using OpenGL for rendering instead of DirectX. Sadly, OpenGL is not featured in most modern titles, or it only gets beta or 'unsupported' implementation. I don't have WoW, but a quick Google turned up OpenGL information:
Code:
Go to the WoW shortcut on your desktop. right click, click properties. At the end of the target path, where it says something like: ""C:Program FilesWorld of WarcraftLauncher.exe"" change it to this:
   "C:Program FilesWorld of WarcraftLauncher.exe" -opengl

Try this in fullscreen and see what happens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next