Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 23:50 

So i was thinking more about how to fix the lack of PLP support.

Question:
What if we could hack the Monitors Firmware and switch the way it reports that it is in portrait vs landscape.
if that were possible, then eyefinity would see it as being in landscape, and now that eyefinity 2.0 supports mixed resolutions it would allow it.

thoughts?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 11:37 
Administrators
Administrators

You are in the same situation of needing a video processor unit, mostly found for use in video walls, another example, similiar to the datapath x4, http://www.digitalsignagelcd.com/video-processors-dido-jr.html
Again, wont be cheap.

There are some monitors around that have this image rotation ability built into them configured by an option in the monitors on screen menu.

I am not sure hacking the firmware is enough, you might be able to swap the width and hieght around, but you still need to rotate the pixels 90degrees.
Sadly it seems there is no easy/cheap solution.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 16:05 

ya, I was chasing down this thought last night, and there are a couple of other issues as well. Even if we could hack the fw and swap landscape with portrait, when you use eyefinity with different screen sizes, it doesnt use the optimal resolution for each monitor, it looks like it scales down the 30 resolution to match the resolution on the 20's. I tried this last night by just rotating the 2 20" into lanscape and creating the eyefinity group. So even I did trick windows and the ATI driver, it would still not run at max res, just maybe would let the 20's run in portrait. still not enough.

I think I need to make an inside contact at AMD, and see if I can talk to one of the driver folks. At least get an explanation why they wont support PLP.

On another note. Ive been posting in the SoftTh forums trying to get Kegety to release the source code so someone can update it to support DX10 and 11. Lets hope that happens..