Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 May 2024, 02:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 19:47 

I would guess that the only thing that would change in game files is the save/progress data and when patches are applied. Perhaps a fast dump for shutdown or something would be possible.

Post subject: Cynagen wrote:... move
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 03:11 

... move originals to safety deposit, copy originals into RamDrive...

I've covered this guys. I never move the originals straight to the RamDrive. That's asking for all sorts of trouble. Please re-read my post and make a numbered list for everything I mention, so you can see step by step how this operates.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 01:37 
Insiders
Insiders

Haha, it's 3x4GB + 3x2GB so I can maintain triple channel. ;D It's not THAT much extra performance, but I'd rather have it than not.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 17:13 
Insiders
Insiders

This tool does nothing of the sort. No code injection, no intra-process redirection. There is only the NTFS junction (redirect) which is seamless to the user and games run on the machine. The process is relatively simple: Figure out which files to pre-load, generate a pre-calculated RamDisk based on the max disk size permitted and the total size of files to be loaded, move originals to safety deposit, copy originals into RamDrive, junction the files on the RamDrive back into their original places on the HDD/SDD, launch the game. Upon close of the game, unload the RamDrive (freeing up your RAM for normal operation), and then restore files to their original locations from safety deposit. Pretty simple (for those technically inclined), it's just the fully automated management is what I'm providing. Technically you can all do this now, I'm just making it a no-brainer and readily available for every user to take advantage of. Not everyone is comfy running all the command line tools required for this operation to be completed successfully.

That sounds pretty elegant in its simplicity :). I guess I was expecting people to go completely overboard with their architecture nowadays. Question though, what happens if the power goes out or the computer locks up? When you reboot is there anything to clean up the junctions back to their former files (safety deposit)?

Also it goes without saying you wouldn't be able to do partial file IO (e.g. compressed files) ram backing this way since you can't junction part of a file (can you?) afaik. I'm actually more of a Linux dev myself so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

There was also talk in the IRC chat of why this tool was not written up and released years ago... well there was 2 reasons. First, RAM was not cheap like it is today. Second, most machines before the Phenom/i5 series could not address more than 8GB of RAM, the "cap" on desktop computers has recently been lifted to allow greater and greater quantities to be installed. Yes, server hardware has traditionally had a much higher "cap" however these components were usually much more expensive than desktop, and thus prohibitive to enthusiast gamers by being outside their price range.

I wanted to further update everyone, I will have a 5-day weekend coming up here shortly, 6-day if I don't get called in on Labor Day, and plan on getting a beta out sometime on the weekend. I look forward to everyone's feedback.

Yes, yes, this makes perfect sense. Up till now the only reason I had to have a lot of RAM was to run a bunch of virtual machines, with this tool I could see more RAM being a lot more useful. Gotta remember to go up to 32 or 64 at my next upgrade.

Post subject: In this Windows
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 09:59 

In this Windows implementation I cannot address parts of files (compressed or otherwise) with this tool. I had a startup check implemented to check the safety deposit and make sure there weren't any stragglers, and if there were, check if a link existed with the original name, and remove it, then move out of safety deposit to original location before starting the application.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 04:27 

So uhh, yeah, I planned on having a beta out this weekend, that clearly didn't happen. Brief explanation, Diablo III is what happened, and no, I didn't play the game, I was testing the tool on the game Diablo III and well, lo and behold, the last accessed timestamp never changes unless patched, (when accessed by the loader), so I can't track which files are being read and load those ones up into RAM. However, the game IS small enough that if you have a computer fitted with 16GB of RAM, you could just load all of Diablo III into RAM, but alas, that doesn't solve the problem for those with less. I'm looking into other ways to track this information and implement them so I can make sure this tool works as advertised...

I'm back at the drawing board for the usage detection methods, so I'll keep everyone posted on what's going on. I don't work tomorrow but I have to visit my sister, she's been ragging on me and wants me dead if I don't make an appearance at her place every 3 months.

UPDATE: I talked with Hayden in IRC earlier, and he pointed out that the behavior I was expecting from windows was no longer valid and hasn't been since Vista. I'm reworking my strategy and looking at making use of some free tools in order to accomplish the goals set forth. We'll see how this turns out. Hopefully I can have something for you all next weekend.

Post subject: Filemon - run it whilst
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 10:13 

Filemon - run it whilst playing and see what pops up although going this route will leave you with the problem of either having to play the entire game or guess at what files later levels might be using. Perhaps this is one of the cases where you might have to rely on the community to provide the necessary config. Might be worth considering the option to load an entire directory to ramdisk as well as individual files (if you haven't already) - sub-directory recursion as well?

Post subject: Update on UIPL So About
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 22:07 
Editors
Editors

Update on UIPL :P

So About Process Write/Read Monitor.

Sysinternals "Process Monitor"

The Problem! you'd need a pre configured "configurationFile.pmc" which sets Filter. But when you have that its kinda easy. You Log From Start to Stop. Terminate the tool, extract the .csv from the logfile. And Voilà you just need to create a statistic from this MASS of data which files are read/wrote the most.

Here is what i've done with Smite. (Procmon.exe is direclty in C:)
Code:

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'C:/Procmon.exe /LoadConfig C:smite.pmc /quiet /backingfile C:smite.PML /minimized /acceptEula', "", @SW_HIDE)
   MsgBox(0, "Test", "Pause, Press OK when game is finished")
   Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'C:/Procmon.exe /terminate', "", @SW_HIDE)
   WinWaitClose("Process Monitor")
   Sleep(2000) ; Security time to make sure File write is over.
   Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'C:/Procmon.exe /Openlog C:smite.PML /saveas C:smite.csv', "", @SW_HIDE)

Sadly i have no idea how the .pmc file is built. At least i cant edit with with an simple Editor. IF you somehow can change that, you'd just need to change the "Process name" in the Filter from "Smite.exe" to "Gamename.exe" to make in universal.

In the Attachements there is this smite.csv just startet up the launcher and then went into Login Screen, nothing more!

Maybe you could tweak the filter from Process Monitor to filter more...

P.S make sure you set "Drop filtered events" or else it will log ALL process but only show filtered!

Attached files smite.csv (1.5 MB)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2012, 00:26 

I love how you've latched onto the same idea that we all have and went so far as providing a sample file, this will go a LONG way, I can completely hook and automate the interface for procmon while completely hidden from user view, making it just a utility tool. Same concept, 'cept without running it 3 times, just one shall suffice.

I found a way to get WAY smaller files which give me the summarized data that I need without actually sorting any of it myself in UIPL, huzzah! Now to write up some automation and make sure it work.

Post subject: Tell me when you got a
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2012, 19:13 
Editors
Editors

Tell me when you got a *working* version and need some results from different games :) i'd be happy to test it out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next