Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 20:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 17:55 
Insiders
Insiders

Tanshin thanks for the shots they really show how "normal" the alien fov seems
I can't get around the fact that the alien sounds crippled in this episode ... too bad it was actually my preferred character :mrgreen:
If you are referring to the multiplayer balancing, don't worry. A friend of mine (who also likes to play as an alien) who played the demo with me was able to dominate almost every match he was in regardless of his player class, while this kinda betrays the lore (marines dominating?); it shows that there isn't one species that is underpowered compared to the other two.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 12:59 

Neat.

But how's the actual game?

Well this is just my opinion ofcourse, but it's an obvious console port. The controls feel clunky and slow, even with mouse sensitivity turned up to the maximum. There's a lot of handholding, with the game telling you which buttons to press to perform a certain action, and you can't turn off this behaviour. There are blinking powerups everywhere. The standard FOV of the marine and the predator is too small, although this was probably done from a horror perspective. If you have to look around a lot to see things you get that paranoid feeling. But combined with the clunky controls it feels like you're in a mech or something, not in your own body, if that makes sense. Anyway, it's been a bit of a let down for me and it made me long back to AVP2, which is not really a good thing, considering that game is outdated. :)

I think I'm going back to playing stalker before I touch this again. :)

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 13:25 

Nothing wrong with my mouse aim, it feels perfect. Several people on nvnews have even said "wow, finally an FPS that feels like the aiming was designed for PC!"

So I think you have an issue there.

In fact overall I don't think this feels like a "console port" at all, especially compared to Bioshock 2 which I played right before. The textures are very high res and the controls and hud feel perfect and PC like. No min-games, no constant loading breaks... it feels very well done from that level.

As for the gameplay I like it. Standard FPS, nothing too special, but it NAILS the feel of the movie Aliens and is just full of awesomely tense moments. If you want to play an interactive version of the middle hour of Aliens then this is your game, buy it with confidance. If you want the next big FPS with lots of innovation then stay away from it, it is not that game.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 21:32 

The voice acting of some character is complete rubbish. Vasquez is your main contact, didn't she die in Aliens.. You know, in the vent with the dumb simulated drops guy?

But yes, this game feels like it was very much made for PC, with some added console flare (glowing items, wtf?!). With console games you are shown where everything is, almost and the same goes for this game. I am enjoying myself. it's not frightening, just suspenseful.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 23:57 

Do you think anyone will make an FOV hack for this? The FOV is really, really narrow for Marine and Predator. The game itself, mouse acceleration makes aiming and annoying and the voice acting is silly. Also the pulse rifle is a pain in the bum because there's this stupid delay between when you click to fire and when the gun actually starts firing. Also where are my dedicated servers, Rebellion?

The voice acting of some character is complete rubbish. Vasquez is your main contact, didn't she die in Aliens.. You know, in the vent with the dumb simulated drops guy?

But yes, this game feels like it was very much made for PC, with some added console flare (glowing items, wtf?!). With console games you are shown where everything is, almost and the same goes for this game. I am enjoying myself. it's not frightening, just suspenseful.

lol, Tequila isn't Vasquez. On the note about bad voice acting: I found it funny that Tequila only has a Spanish accent when she's saying her own name, as if the voice actor needed a way of reminding herself of her own ethnicity.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 05:07 

Having an accent when pronouncing Spanish names or words and not with others is very common in Spanish Americans. You should here them talk to each other, it's half Spanish and half English, all the English words sound completely normal. it's like they are trying to confuse you. (I have a few friends who speak that way with their family)

Tequila has some down right awful voice acting. I guess I just mixed up the names. While I was waiting for the download to finish, I re-watched the trilogy. I don't think I'll every watch resurrection again, haha.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 08:33 

Do you think anyone will make an FOV hack for this? The FOV is really, really narrow for Marine and Predator. The game itself, mouse acceleration makes aiming and annoying

FOV feels fine to me.

Mouse is perfect for me. Do you have mouse acceleration turned off in the menu? There is an option.

Overall it seems like we are playing different games almost.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 19:56 

the only thing i think needs to be worked on is the player movement. as a marine it feels like I'm skipping, instead of walking.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 12:53 
Editors
Editors

From what I can see on screenshots, most weapon models seem to fill almost 1/4 of the centre of the screen... noticeably more than in the average PC FPS. It's a bit weird to see the tip of your gun so close to the crosshair, independently of the actual FOV. Hopefully it's not too distracting (invasive) in gunfights.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 13:42 

I think I was looking up in those shots, so that skews the weapon model size. I don't remember ever being bothered by the size of it in-game, though perhaps I will be now if it is indeed large... thanks Scav! ;)