Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 11:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2004, 21:16 

Thanks again for the info Shifter!

I'll check for "window" in the ini. From what I can tell, SCPT uses multiple ini's for various things and loading from various directories. It's set up a little different than the original SC proly because of the multiplayer.

I was able to do the custom monitor driver trick with powerstrip and then untick the "Stretch Display" (?) from the Radeon display properties tab. At least it's playable (even if extremely small) now at 1024x768 and not stretched...

OT: I can finally get BFV to work @ 1400x1050 with grafx on low and only have to deal with black bars on the sides! That's a big improvement over BF1942's stretch-fest...

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2004, 15:45 
Editors
Editors

Thanks again for the info Shifter!

I just hope it works. I haven't got SC:PT, and I don't really have the time (or the money) to buy it right now... :wink:

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2004, 21:16 

Also, most Ureal based games have two lines in the ini that have:

WindowedViewportX
WindowedViewportY

This lets you change the windowed resolution. I can't believe that the old game can accept custom resolutions but the new on cannot!...and I hear you cannot even force AA which is why you see all the jagged edges! :evil:

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2004, 12:50 
Editors
Editors

I can't believe that the old game can accept custom resolutions but the new on cannot!...and I hear you cannot even force AA which is why you see all the jagged edges! :evil:

Kinda makes you wonder exactly what they're doing, doesn't it? I would have thought with the increasing popularity of widescreen that developers would have started to bend over backwards to include decent widescreen support. Some have, but most of the big names still cling to their 4:3. :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2004, 00:44 

Hey dripgoss, I have the same laptop. Nice machine, isn't it? I have the 3.06 desktop P4 though.

I didn't see a "pandora.ini" file. Mine was "splintercell2.ini". (SC:PT Single Player Demo)

I tried the windowed setting, and it stayed at 1280x1024 anyways. When I changed the user settings, as has been seen by others, it dropped back to 640x480.

BTW, dripgoss: PM me if you have been able to run anything at 840x525. Some games are too much for this thing at 1680x1050, and 840x525 is half of both those dimensions, so it won't look too bad on the fixed resolution LCD.

I tried Halo and it crashed with a DirectX error when forcing this resolution.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2004, 17:41 

Hell yeah, R3000T represent!! heh.. It is a nice lappy. I just replaced my 512 ddr333 with 1GB of GeIL Golden Dragon DDR400 and it smokes now. I need to get some benchmarks...

What I did was just searched in the C:Program FilesUbisoftSplinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow directory for *.ini and perused all of them for anything that looked like resolutions. Replaced everything I came across with 1680x1050, set Read Only atrib and as in your case too, it still defaults to 640x480. I wonder if they did this because of the online mode and not wanting cheaters (widescreen isn't cheating, it's an advantage! :))

So so far I can only get 1280x1024 which sucks. I think someone is going to have to come out with an exe hack because I have a feeling Ubi put some logic in the code that says "IF res is set outside 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 or 1280x1024 THEN default to 640x480"...

Wogg? :)

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2004, 21:25 
Editors
Editors

I tried Halo and it crashed with a DirectX error when forcing this resolution.

Did you have that resolution selectable as a windows res? If not, you need to use PowerStrip to create it in your drivers .inf file. At which point, Halo should run this res happily. :)

I know, a bit OT in this thread, but still. :wink:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2004, 21:30 
Editors
Editors

What I did was just searched in the C:Program FilesUbisoftSplinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow directory for *.ini and perused all of them for anything that looked like resolutions. Replaced everything I came across with 1680x1050, set Read Only atrib and as in your case too, it still defaults to 640x480. I wonder if they did this because of the online mode and not wanting cheaters (widescreen isn't cheating, it's an advantage! :))

So so far I can only get 1280x1024 which sucks. I think someone is going to have to come out with an exe hack because I have a feeling Ubi put some logic in the code that says "IF res is set outside 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 or 1280x1024 THEN default to 640x480"...

I wonder...

How do you load the game? Do you use that menu that is fixed at 800x600, or do you go straight to the Single Player or Multiplayer executable? Will the .exe's work without coming from the loader?

Could it be the loader program that's stopping the widescreen res?

Try setting up a link straight to the single player .exe, and write protecting the splintercell2.ini so that it can't be changed.

I'm just guessing, but it might be worth a shot. :)

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2004, 06:14 

I tried to launch from the separate exe's and still same thing. 640x480...

So then I decided to take one for the team and I did a windiff on the offline and online versions of the various ini files. I found something interesting...

The online SCPT game MIGHT do widescreen (I say MIGHT because with grfx and goodies set to low or off, it looks like crap anyway). But it does in fact fill the whole screen. Now this is with the ATi stretch display mode applet turned off in Display Properties, that's why I don't think it's being stretched. However the offine (aka Single Player) mode still reverts back to the 640x480 when an unrecognized res is inserted.

So I decided to go for broke and copy all of the online ini's to the offline ini's and it royally borked the game (so kids don't try this at home). However, this finding supports the theory that Widescreen is somehow limited by the exe or a condition set in the code somewhere purposefully. Now if we can just find out why they decided to cut widescreen access and thwart it...

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2004, 12:26 
Editors
Editors

Thanks for trying it out. Pity it didn't work, but then at least we know that they set out to stop Widescreeners. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next