Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 04:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2004, 22:14 

i changed all the .ini files in ths game as well. no dice.

there are ini.bak files as well; which i changed to 1440x900. i couldn't find a "windowed mode" option in the game anywhere, and since my max y is 900 i can only play at 1024x768 ... >_<

i tried launching from the .exe without using the menu file, etc etc. but nothing works with this piece.

im *trying* to get it to run on a sager 8790.

PostPosted: 24 May 2004, 20:50 

I had this game working at 1280 X 720 a couple of weeks ago but I can't seem to find the website that exlained how to do it. Unfortunately, i went into the configuration options page yesterday and everything defaulted back to the original settings and now I can't get it to go back. I might just try reinstalling it and start making changes again.

I know this post isn't particularly helpful but i just wanted to say that I DID GET THIS GAME WORKING in a WIDESCREEN 16:9 format...so it is possible. I believe it had to do with some FOV settings but I'm not 100% sure. I'm still searching for the instructions on the web. If anyone has anymore info on this please let me know...I can't get myself to finish it until I get it back to widescreen.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2004, 17:00 
Editors
Editors

Sounds like a go. That's not too much of a problem to do that: at least you don't have to edit an .ini file every time.

Thanks for sharing this. :D

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2004, 00:27 

Thanks! Pandora now runs at 1440x900 on my notebook, although i might shift it to my hdtv now that it does widescreen.

I wonder if this will work for Thief 3 (another botched widescreen game using the Unreal Engine) ?

Very acceptable hack! Thanks.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2004, 21:26 

I had this game working at 1280 X 720 a couple of weeks ago but I can't seem to find the website that exlained how to do it. Unfortunately, i went into the configuration options page yesterday and everything defaulted back to the original settings and now I can't get it to go back. I might just try reinstalling it and start making changes again.

I know this post isn't particularly helpful but i just wanted to say that I DID GET THIS GAME WORKING in a WIDESCREEN 16:9 format...so it is possible. I believe it had to do with some FOV settings but I'm not 100% sure. I'm still searching for the instructions on the web. If anyone has anymore info on this please let me know...I can't get myself to finish it until I get it back to widescreen.
Hey folks, I just want to say that I CURRENTLY AM ABLE TO PLAY SCPT in widescreen on my Samsung HLN437W -- at a 1216x684 resolution. The Sammy unfortunately, has some overscan, so using it at 1280x720 is a pain in the rear, but 1216x684 fills up the screen appropriately. I used PowerStrip to create the custom resolution.

First, I installed SCPT on my regular 1024x768 monitor. I then hooked up my desktop to the Sammy (via DVI). I ran SCPT, which came up with the dreaded 640x480 resolution. However, I switched resolutions to 1024x768 just for kicks, and voila -- it switched the resolution to 1216x684! Everything looks the same in widescreen as it does with the original splinter cell -- the "PDA"/Menu/Movies are all stretched, but the actual gameplay is NOT streched.

I'll take some screenshots and post them later, but for right now, I can say it is working! :)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2004, 21:49 
Founder
Founder

Can't wait to see the shots...

Post subject: TO SALTBOY
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2004, 03:44 

SaltBoy,

So I see you have the same Samsung widescreen TV that i eventually want to purchase...mainly for widescreen gaming...

So was it worth your money???

How come there is overscan if 1280 by 720 is a resolution listed in the tv's manual?( I acquired it off their site)

and, with the DVI can you achieve any resolution? Like 1280 x 768 800 x 600 etc...

thanks

Post subject: Re: TO SALTBOY
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2004, 16:08 

SaltBoy,

So I see you have the same Samsung widescreen TV that i eventually want to purchase...mainly for widescreen gaming...

So was it worth your money???

How come there is overscan if 1280 by 720 is a resolution listed in the tv's manual?( I acquired it off their site)

and, with the DVI can you achieve any resolution? Like 1280 x 768 800 x 600 etc...

thanks
First off to anybody -- what's the best way to take screenshots? I keep on doing Alt-PrintScrn, but that only lets me get one at a time, and Alt-Tabbing out of SCPT crashes my system

Second, Oscar -- There is so much about the HLN437W that I love. The picture is beautiful, it's easy to use, and the high-resolution video kicks some serious butt. DLP is the way to go, if you got the money.

Out of the box, a DVI connection provides two resolutions -- 800x600 and 1280x720. The Samsung works only in 16:9 or 4:3 mode, so a resolution such as 1280x768 would be impossible. Besides, why would you want a 16:10 mode? ;)

However, the overscan is a problem, yet probably the only problem, that I have with the TV. The native resolution of the HLN437W is 720p (1280x720), but about 4% of the outside pixels are NOT shown in that mode. As a result, in Windows, the Start button, the Min/Max/Close buttons, and the taskbar are partially cut off. They're still "there", they're just not 100% visible.

The amount of pixels you actually see on the screen is about 1220x688. The closest resolution to that that I can create with PowerStrip is 1216x684. There's a SLIGHT underscan at that resolution, but it is so negligible, you can't even see it unless you're really looking for it. The folks at AVSForum helped me set that up.

So, how does it work in the end? Personally, I think it works great. Although 1216x684 is a resolution that most people haven't heard of or tried, I've gotten it to work with all the games that I've tried -- Warcraft III, UT2K4, Splinter Cell, and SCPT. Of course, WC3 stretches the video, but everything else looks fantastic.

When I watch Hi-Definition video with my PC, I switch the resolution to 1280x720, since the source is usually 720p. Yes, some of the picture is lost, but then again, almost every tv has this issue. I just wish it weren't an issue with the Samsung, but there it is...

Post subject: Wow...
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2004, 17:27 

Wow...

Thanks for the reply...yea been savin up for one.... Even though I'm a PC gamer I do miss playin games on a TV...

and hell why not go for maximum quality...

thanks for the review...

Was it easy to set up that special resolution for games using power strip?

thanks again

Post subject: Re: TO SALTBOY
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2004, 21:04 
Editors
Editors

First off to anybody -- what's the best way to take screenshots? I keep on doing Alt-PrintScrn, but that only lets me get one at a time, and Alt-Tabbing out of SCPT crashes my system

There are a few programs out there that allow you to take screenshots flawlessly - a program called HyperSnap is one of them, and the one I prefer. The only slight inconvinience is that it sticks this irritating little box in the corner unless you're a registered user...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next