Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 11:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: DOOM 3 is Awesome !
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2004, 00:02 

13th? I thought it was a world wide release..

For once Australians get something before someone else :D
Sorry, but we're usually last on the list :|

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2004, 00:33 

13th? I thought it was a world wide release..

For once Australians get something before someone else :D
Sorry, but we're usually last on the list :|

:lol:

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2004, 00:35 

That's good to hear that a current generation machine can run Doom 3 so efficiently. I'm reluctant to buy an ATI card now because I saw the benchmarks on HardOCP about how poorly they fared against NVIDIA's cards running Doom 3. I know that ATI's cards dominate nearly every other game out there, but Doom 3 is the only game I really want to play (besides Half Life 2). I read an article that ATI had stopped development on their OpenGL drivers over a year ago. ATI really needs to get back to work on those OpenGL drivers ASAP.

Catalyst 4.9 will change that ;)

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2004, 04:30 

not missing anything really.

gameplay includes these amazing features:

walk through a hallway with no light whatsoever

turn on tiny little flashlight

see zombie

frantically use scroll wheel to switch to something that actually hurts things

shoot blindly hoping to hit something

switch to flashlight, repeat

you get the occasional cutscene but it isnt really anything more than "im here, thank god youre alive, im staying in this spot while you continue on"

it would be great if you could at least have a flashlight ON your weapons.
-_-

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2004, 17:15 

Hit the flashlight button (F) again to switch back to the weapon you had equipped before.

I'm seriously digging this game.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2004, 20:22 

[quote]That's good to hear that a current generation machine can run Doom 3 so efficiently. I'm reluctant to buy an ATI card now because I saw the benchmarks on HardOCP about how poorly they fared against NVIDIA's cards running Doom 3. I know that ATI's cards dominate nearly every other game out there, but Doom 3 is the only game I really want to play (besides Half Life 2). I read an article that ATI had stopped development on their OpenGL drivers over a year ago. ATI really needs to get back to work on those OpenGL drivers ASAP.

Catalyst 4.9 will change that ;)

As i said : http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html

near 20% beter :shock:

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2004, 14:03 

Everyone should keep in mind that if your computer is decent, the game will look awesome. You don't to be able to do the highest settings and resolutions to get the full experience. The visual impact of the game comes from the textures and lighting, which comes across quite well at all settings.

If you're just making the minimum requirements, try the game out before you upgrade anything! Remember, this is John Carmack we're dealing with here. :)

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2004, 20:15 

Everyone should keep in mind that if your computer is decent, the game will look awesome. You don't to be able to do the highest settings and resolutions to get the full experience. The visual impact of the game comes from the textures and lighting, which comes across quite well at all settings.

If you're just making the minimum requirements, try the game out before you upgrade anything! Remember, this is John Carmack we're dealing with here. :)

yeah 8)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2004, 21:06 

I've got friends running Doom3 in 1024 x 768 w/a few settings cranked down, and it is still beautiful. This ain't FarCry folks. Id made this thing so you don't need a Cray Supercomputer with 90 gigs of ram to get 60FPS.

As far as waiting on "hardware to catch up".....that's crazy. The hardware is here. I have a Radeon X800 XT, and it would make you cry when playing this in 1600x1200. Smooth as glass....NO slowdown. As far as Nvidia's better OpenGL performance......yes, it supposedly runs the game a little better with AA turned on.....but you don't need it. TRUST me.

It doesn't matter. ATI is releasing new Catalyst drivers in a matter of a few weeks to specifically push all x800 card's performance in Doom through the roof. You can actually download a beta of these drivers right now to play with.

There is no point in arguing over which GPU is better for this game: You simply can't go wrong with either. If you're thinking of buying a new video card and FarCry didn't push you over the edge, then here's the perfect excuse.

One more sidenote: You guys might think I'm crazy, but a good sound card with 5.1 surround is probably just as important here as the video card. Go play it on a system with surround for 5 mins, and you'll know exactly what I'm talkin' about.

:evil: <== Smiley face in Doom 3.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2004, 04:15 

I agree that the sound is as important as the video, although I only play with headphones, so a good pair of those enhances the creepiness factor. Oh, didn't Carmack cap the fps of doom 3 to 65 fps? I read this somewhere but I think it was to prevent people from doing certain trick jumps etc by having a certain framrate.
I think I read it somewhere at quake3world.com...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next