Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 11:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 21:01 

Does anybody know how to change the fov and resolution for Versus? The singleplayer widescreen fix does nothing for Versus, which looks all stretched out. Any help is appreciated thanks.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2006, 06:21 

Well, the Versus mode is kind of strange for the game. First of all, it's locked by default at 30FPS -- go to This Thread at the Chaos Theory forums to figure out how to unlock your framerate if it feels slow to you. I actually helped figure out how to do that during the summer for the thread (I'm CoolCody77 on the Ubi forums if ever you are wondering).

Anyways, I know that Versus mode operates with a seperate set of config files than single-player... and I may have tried to change the resolution before, I'm not quite sure. Tomorrow, I will see if I can get widescreen resolutions working in versus mode, but I doubt a wider FOV will be possible because it's locked for online play.

I'll see what I can do and report back to 'ya!

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2006, 02:03 

Okay, I tested out Widescreen. If you edit the Default.ini file, under X:Splinter Cell Chaos TheoryVersusSystem, you can run any resolution you want, until you login. I found the lines:
Code:
FullscreenViewportX=
   FullscreenViewportY=

then I change the X and Y values to fit the resolution I wanted. I used 1920x1200 for example, and it worked until I selected my profile, and I logged in - then it reverted to the nearest resolutoin, 1600x1200. I don't know why this is, it appears that no other config files affect the screen resoltuoin. Maybe Paddy can help us a bit more :)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2007, 02:41 

That's weird... :? Need Help Paddy!

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2007, 08:52 
Editors
Editors

Many games have the FOV and or the res locked for on-line play ... I guess this is one ... :(

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2008, 21:59 

Hi all

I wanted to update this thread. It appears the topic on Ubisoft's Splinter Cell forums on how to unlock the framerate on Chaos Theory's versus mode kind of disappeared. Luckily, I have the file that allows you to do it.

This file is simply a ZIP with an INF file inside. This INF file installs a new, simple, monitor driver which allows you to set your display to any refresh rate. The Chaos Theory versus mode limits you to half of your framerate -- so using this driver, you can set your display to say 120Hz and still get 60 FPS in-game.

Note: This will not actually allow your display to run a refresh rate higher than what it is capable of, only trick windows into thinking it is. It's recommended you use a 3rd party program to limit your actual refresh rate or damage can occur. Most LCDs will automatically limit themselves to 60Hz while you are running this driver, but CRTs may not! Use at your own risk!

To install, follow these directions:

1) Extract the INF file.
2) Right-click the desktop and select Properties.
3) In the Display Properties window, select the Settings tab and click Advanced.
4) Another window will pop up. Click on the Monitor tab and click Properties.
5) The monitor properties box will pop up. Click on the Driver tab, and click Update Driver...
6) In the Hardware Update Wizard, click No, not this time and then the Next button. Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and continue. Now select "Dont search. I will choose the driver to install." and continue.
7) Now in the next screen select "Have Disk..." and browse to where you extracted the INF. You should be able to select it, and it should install the drivers for your monitor.
8 ) Afterward, you should be able to select any refresh rate in Windows and be able to play above 30 FPS in Chaos Theory versus mode!

Note that I have used this driver on my LCD for a long time now, and works great. It is nothing more than the default plug n play driver that allows you to select any refresh rate. Enjoy!