Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 18:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 05:36 

EDIT: UTinput.ini Solution is in the third post:

Inspired by this thread until someone find a DECENT fix.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?

I find FOV 90 on my widescreen monitor cramped, awkward and totally discomfortable on my eyes, and hence my concentration. I need a solution. There is the console command "FOV 100", but each time you spwan, the game resets FOV to 90. So, in an attempt to make a simple temporary solution I tried an ini tweak to improve the game, which should have had this implemented from DAY 1!

Results:

Well this has nearly got me beet. I could bind a NEW button to FOV 100, for example

Backspace:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="Backspace",Command="FOV 100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

This worked really well. However this is not optimal, as you remember to press the buttone ach time you spawn, which is not effecient and will see you get fragged cause you searching for buttons. So I tried to make "w" the button to command the FOV change, which means I have to put two commands on the "w" button, ie "MoreForward" and "FOV 100". This has proved impossible for me.

There are three sections in the UTinput.ini that have key binds.

[Engine.PlayerInput]
[Engine.DebugCameraInput]
[UTGame.UTPlayerInput]

I tried this in all three section :

Creating a Command Bind first:

Bindings=(Name="GBA_FOVLarge",Command="Fov 100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

then under each of these:
[Engine.PlayerInput]
[UTGame.UTPlayerInput]

Bindings=(Name="W",Command="GBA_Moveforward | GBA_FOVLarge",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

As well as:

Bindings=(Name="W",Command="GBA_Moveforward | FOV 100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

and:

Bindings=(Name="W",Command="GBA_Moveforward + GBA_FOVLarge",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

and:

Bindings=(Name="W",Command="GBA_Moveforward" "GBA_FOVLarge",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

However none of these worked no matter where I put it in the Input file. "W" always kept working, so I ran an experiment. What if I UNBIND MoveForward from "W" key and make it like the Backspace FOV 100 bind?

So in under of the sections

[Engine.PlayerInput]
[UTGame.UTPlayerInput]

Bindings=(Name="W",Command="FOV 100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Still, "w" only moved forward, no FOV change. This leads me to think that the game has another Input file somewhere.

I know that when I edited the ini file, and didn't make it READ ONLY then UT3 changes the "W" command back to its original. So I started editing the ini and then saving it and making it a READ ONLY file. Still no affect.

Anyone got any ideas?

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 02:02 

When I messed with it I think I had to scrap all the duplicates or they'd override the one I changed, even with read-only, the 'cross-platform' entries make a major mess.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 09:40 

Thank to LazyCrakBear:

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=25100550#post25100550

THe solution is so simple, I can't believe I missed it, I think I tried everything excpet adjusting the original bind.

BAAAA.

Anyway, replace this command with this new one:

Bindings=(Name="GBA_MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 | fov 100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

So, when ever you spawn and as soon as you move forward, you get a temporary FOV solution.

Waughlaaa! Enjoy.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 09:57 
Insiders
Insiders

But every time you move forward it sets the FOV. I can make a temporarily fix by just pressing the F1 button to set the FOV if you want.

Edit: What about a timer that sets the FOV value every 1ms? Use F1 to enable it and F2 to disable it.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 10:17 
Insiders
Insiders

hmm, what if your using a weapon that can zoom-in and you move forward? It sets the FOV to 100 and the sniper becomes a short range weapon :D

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 10:21 

Thank to LazyCrakBear:

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=25100550#post25100550

THe solution is so simple, I can't believe I missed it, I think I tried everything excpet adjusting the original bind.

BAAAA.

Anyway, replace this command with this new one:

Bindings=(Name="GBA_MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 | fov 100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

So, when ever you spawn and as soon as you move forward, you get a temporary FOV solution.

Waughlaaa! Enjoy.

Been using this workaround since the UT3 demo, and it's the best solution out of the box (other than patches/hacks) that I know of.

Problem is if zoomed in on sniper and you move forward the scope view/gun dissapears and you have to remember to unzoom (right click). Other than that it's better than nothing but still pretty ridiculous that it's not done properly by Epic in the first place. But that's Unreal Engine 3 for ya. ;)

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 10:49 

Sniper rifle eh? I forgot about that and havn't run into it.

When I was ingame and I consoled the sniper, it didn't give me any grief, but I better retest it.

"I'm going in!"

EDIT: DAGNAMMIT!!!! Yes, you lose the scope. AAAARRRRR!

Ok, there has to be a better solution. However, I think that FOV 100 and no scope, is 100% better than FOV 90 and the odd scope site.

Squizzy, I like your thinking! Set FOV 100 evey millisecond. Well, if that doesn't slow the game down, or the performance, or interupt other commands I think that is a good, very good workaround, better than the bind fix even. Now, I wonder if something like that can be overridden whilst in zoom mode?

Guys, we are getting close here!!! I can feel it. CAN YOU FEEL IT?

CAN YOU FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL ET!?

/breathe
/breathe

I know you can feel it.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 11:57 
Insiders
Insiders

But most important will be the final version. I'm sure they will fix it when it will be released. Do we have to worry about it that much for a demo? :)

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 13:34 

But most important will be the final version. I'm sure they will fix it when it will be released. Do we have to worry about it that much for a demo? :)

Thing is they havn't fixed it for the final. HOwever I think you can take it too 120FOV in the final

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 13:42 

I wish I could be as optimistic as you are squ1zzy, but for some reason I think they couldnt care less about proper WS/FOV... :cry:

...reason beeing that the UT3 engine is VERT- from all the games we've seen...