Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 16:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2008, 14:54 
Insiders
Insiders

Well I'm too impatient for someone else to make a report or ask, so here's the classic quistion on new games: will it support proper widescreen?

Of course being based on the UT3 engine i expect it to use stinkin' vert- to "achieve" WS. I've seen a couple gameplay vids(console) and it certainly appears to be zoomed-in, a-la Bioshock.

So has anyone tried it? Can we use GOW/Bioshock/UT3 methods?

Off-topic, this games installs to 15-forking-GB.

Okay well if you open TurokTurokGameConfigTurokInput.ini, find the [Engine.Console] section and edit the ConsoleKey= line and bind it to a key (the commands are in the section above, i bound it to DELETE) and when you start the game just use that now-bound key to bring up the console, and use the the same command as in Gears of War:

"fov X" - X of course being your desired value. oh and without the quotes.

The default is an incredibly tiny 65 degrees, but 85 seems okay to me. Seeingas how the 4:3 FOV seem too narrow as well you just have to use whatever FOV is best for you.

Unfortunatly, like GOW, you ahve to do this every time you play the game, but a sloppy fix is better than none.

So after playing for bit i see that altering the FOV will break the ZOOM function on your weapons, and setting FOV back to 65 does no fix it. However, when you die the FOV is reset and you can ZOOM normally.

Two steps forward, one step back, eh?

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2008, 21:06 

It is EXTREMELY zoomed in and does chop off the top and bottom when you use widescreen making it even MORE zoomed in. Unplayably so to me.

It has a boatload of INI files with settings like: DesiredFOV=65.000000 and DefaultFOV=65.000000, but changing them does nothing at all. So, I have no idea at this point.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2008, 10:20 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm sure a Bioshock-esque OFV hack would do it.. but this game doesn't seem popular enough to warrant one.

..unless one of the community's hack authors felt liek trying to fire one out ..hm?

PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 03:26 

If you don't like the crazy bobbing and bouncing:

Inside "**TurokTurokGameConfigDefaultGame.ini"

[TurokGame.TurokMovementShake]
mRollDamping=2000.0f
mPitchDamping=4000.0f
mStrafeDamping=800.0f
mTransAmplitude=0.0f
mPitchPhaseOffset=-90.0f

mRollDampingCrouched=1000.0f
mPitchDampingCrouched=2000.0f
mStrafeDampingCrouched=400.0f
mTransAmplitudeCrouched=0.0f

That's how I got rid of all but the weapon bounce...can't find that one. I just set the Amplitude ones to 0 and added a 0 (x10?) to the others. Higher number = less bounce. Setting them to zero makes your screen go nuts!

Default was:

[TurokGame.TurokMovementShake]
mRollDamping=200.0f
mPitchDamping=400.0f
mStrafeDamping=80.0f
mTransAmplitude=1.0f
mPitchPhaseOffset=-90.0f

mRollDampingCrouched=100.0f
mPitchDampingCrouched=200.0f
mStrafeDampingCrouched=40.0f
mTransAmplitudeCrouched=2.0f

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 07:56 

What a complete weapons bore. Where are the wierd-ass Turok weapons that I know and love?

Is this really Turok? :(

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 16:06 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes this is Turok. Of course anybody would be unrecognizable after being repeatedly raped with mediocre game design.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 19:20 

To be fair, I do like the look of the main character. But it feels like Gears was the primary factor influencing design.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 05:54 

Just got this game cheap... the FOV is horrid.

I don't have a "TurokInput.ini" file in the location you specify... I have a "DefaultInput.ini" but it contains no "Engine.Console" entry.

Could you perhaps check to make sure it is not located somewhere else? You've probably uninstalled this long ago, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind...

On Vista it is here:
C:Users%username%AppDataLocalVirtualStoreProgram Files (x86)TouchstoneTurokTurokGameConfig

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009, 01:00 

The FOV hack using the console not only breaks weapon zoom, but also causes missing textures and massive pop-in in the distance, ruining immersion in the game. During the indoor elevator sequence the wall textures on the other side of the room would go missing, showing the outside template instead. Without the hack, this problem did not occur.

Unfortunately I am playing with the normal FOV :(