Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 15:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Far Cry 2
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 20:55 

Removed the avatar

Yes I am using the Razor1911 noCD.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 20:55 

Thanx for the speedy reply Paddy! :)
Yeah I am curious if you will get that too.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 20:58 

Thank you very much Paddy_S, now I can enjoy this game as soon as I receive it

Oculus Rift

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 21:01 
Editors
Editors

Removed the avatar

Yes I am using the Razor1911 noCD.
I see you are using vista ... I'm using XP ... dunno what Racer_S uses ...
Is there a compatibility mode of some sort in Vista ... maybe try running the tool in compatibility mode ?

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 21:03 

I tried DX10 and DX9, and then DX9 in XP compatibility, doesn't work. Just crashes as soon as I enable it. Then I tried the forcewidescreen 0/1 cvar, neither made a difference in it working. :cry:

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 21:06 

Out of curiosity I ran the game in windowed mode, at 4:3, and the image distortion in screencorners happens at this aspect too, but it's less pronounced than at 16:10. I never noticed this in other games (e.g. cod4) and I am a bit perplexed whether that's the way the game is supposed to look.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 21:09 

Out of curiosity I ran the game in windowed mode, at 4:3, and the image distortion in screencorners happens at this aspect too, but it's less pronounced than at 16:10. I never noticed this in other games (e.g. cod4) and I am a bit perplexed whether that's the way the game is supposed to look.

Well this is the first game using the Dunia engine, and the engine unfortunately seems a bit consolized, it's likely just another aspect they overlooked before releasing the game. A patch might come and fix it one day, along with the WS issue.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 21:10 

I tried DX10 and DX9, and then DX9 in XP compatibility, doesn't work. Just crashes as soon as I enable it. Then I tried the forcewidescreen 0/1 cvar, neither made a difference in it working. :cry:

Morder,

In my case the game crashed when I set AA at 4. Try to use this setting: MultiSampleMode="2" in GamerProfile.xml. Maybe that will help?

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 21:25 

[quote]I tried DX10 and DX9, and then DX9 in XP compatibility, doesn't work. Just crashes as soon as I enable it. Then I tried the forcewidescreen 0/1 cvar, neither made a difference in it working. :cry:

Morder,

In my case the game crashed when I set AA at 4. Try to use this setting: MultiSampleMode="2" in GamerProfile.xml. Maybe that will help?

It didn't work but I discovered a fix.

I discovered windows was using DEP (Data Execution Prevention) to prevent the changes that the fov hack was trying to do. So I disabled DEP and it works now.

To disable DEP in vista you need to open up cmd in administrator mode and type:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Then reboot and it will be disabled. It MAY work if you add it to the DEP disable list in Control Panel>System>Advanced System Settings>Performance>Data Execution Prevention. I didn't try this because I've added programs to that list before and it never seemed to prevent DEP from stopping these programs.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 21:35 

oh dear god. It's bioshock all over again. I really wish I had the energy to lay into the devs the way I did with 2k and their bioverhypedshocker but I can only bow my head in dismay and hope Paddy and other's like him (and me) keep up the good fight.

This is getting beyond a joke.

It's one things developers being STUPID or LAZY (because that's what it comes down to)... but another thing to see the amount of rabid fanboys who attack those who express concern over the way widescreen gaming is being constantly fudged.

When will those idiots realise there is no 'right or wrong' to physics, it dictates things like aspect ratio for a given FOV not me or you or a developer or a developers fanboy. It's just PLAIN WRONG as it is now.

As I said about bioshock, once we bring 4:3 into it we start loosing as the people who don't have a clue think we are complaining about the difference but we are not.

The game could exist now purely as a 'widescreen' only game and it would still be ergonomically "wrong". This isn't about extra space (per se) or 'more' (that is 2D thinking; of course it's a side effect/benifit of widescreen anyway). This is about the main problem this cheap cropping causes, which is the FOV problem, or zoomed effect.. the mild nausea/dizzyness inducing effect of not paying attention in 3D coding school. On top of that we have REMOVAL of a layer of immersion which can never be good for a game. Just like 2k LIED about their crap being 'for artistic effect', ubi's fanboys will argue this was 'as intended' when it so obviously wasn't. Certainly not what any sane developer would want to choose anyway. The comfortable FOV of a well supported WS game is what allows it to be as ergonomic and as immersive as it's 4:3 counterpart.. with, you bet, a little extra immersion due to the wider view (as expected - otherwise widescreen wouldn't have been invented).

The problem is simple. The game is broken and it needs a patch. Funny how this seems to be happening more and more to the overhyped games that turn out to be pretty boring in the long run. If a dev can't even sort out the basics of the PROJECTION MATRICES when setting up a first person camera, then I doubt the title is as polished as it should be anywhere.

One day, maybe ten years from now, once every other player on the planet has actually realised how right WE are this kind of crap won't need to keep happening.

Keep up the good fight fellow WSGers, and never let them convince you we are wrong when we could out-think them every step of the way.

this game = no buy for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 31  Next