Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 14:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 01:00 

I don't really see what the point is. Why would you play non-Steam HL over Steam HL?
You own it and can't transfer it into the Steam account through a serial number?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 01:13 

I had Half Life on CDs somewhere but just bought it on steam on the day they had it for 0.99$, it was the 10th year anniversary or something.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 01:19 

[quote]I don't really see what the point is. Why would you play non-Steam HL over Steam HL?
You own it and can't transfer it into the Steam account through a serial number?

But you can transfer Valve games (and a small selection of others) to Steam.

It really does seem like a lot of trouble to just not use steam..

The Steam version has a bunch of patches that are automatically applied aswell. Just like the Widescreen enabler.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 03:27 

But you can transfer Valve games (and a small selection of others) to Steam.

It really does seem like a lot of trouble to just not use steam..

The Steam version has a bunch of patches that are automatically applied aswell. Just like the Widescreen enabler.
But to add them to your Steam account (and not just launch them) don't you need a serial number for Steam to read?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 03:33 
Insiders
Insiders

You need a serial number just to install the non-Steam version in the first place. Might as well just register it on Steam.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 03:39 

You need a serial number just to install the non-Steam version in the first place. Might as well just register it on Steam.
Didn't know if serial numbers were included with HL1, thanks for clearing that up.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 11:47 
Editors
Editors

Have to say, if it wasn't for the fact that I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about with Half-Life 2... I still wouldn't be using Steam. The only other game I've played on Steam that would make my buy it was The Last Remnant... but if I hadn't had Steam at the time I bought it, I wouldn't have.

Which would mean that I'd be playing Half-Life with this hack for widescreen. And not playing quite a few other games.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 19:03 
Insiders
Insiders

Steam's free. Even if Half-Life 1 is the only Valve game you have and you refuse to ever purchase a game by download, if you want to play HL1 there's really no reason at all not to play it through Steam.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 19:07 
Editors
Editors

Alright.

Fine.

Whatever.

We'll obviously have to agree to disagree. I do not see any point in using Steam simply 'because it's there'.

It has other reasons for use, but had I not been tormented into finally playing HL2... I still wouldn't be using Steam. It's rather like saying I should buy a Kindle and never read a paper book again.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 20:05 
Insiders
Insiders

The point is the ability to play HL1 with an updated engine with fewer bugs, MP3 music, native widescreen support, Internet multiplayer, and no need for a CD key every time you want to install it and no need to insert the disc every time you want to play. If you have the game and want to play it, there's really no reason to walk away from these advantages, even if HL1 is the only Steam compatible game you've got and ever will have.