Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 04:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 20:23 

Has anyone every figured this one out? I'm dying to play it in surround, but havent had any luck messing with any of the INI's or console commands..

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 04:19 

what engine is this game?

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 10:41 
Editors
Editors

what engine is this game?

UE2 I believe.

Has anyone every figured this one out? I'm dying to play it in surround, but havent had any luck messing with any of the INI's or console commands..

Tried several approaches for a fix, so far no dice. Right now it sits on my dead projects list and I'm doubtful that will change.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 13:45 

hmmm, you tried the other UE2 games various fixes, I assume, right?

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 00:45 
Editors
Editors

hmmm, you tried the other UE2 games various fixes, I assume, right?

Tried everything from config files to executable hacking and memory editing. I'll probably come back to the game at some point and try again, but likely not anytime soon.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 09:36 

This can be done with much the same process as Deus Ex Invisible War (also a UE2 game), the file to edit is named a little differently, Engine.u instead of Engine.d2u. Use a hex editor and search for the default FOV value (85.0 float) and replace with desired fov. This needs to be done six times for each occurrence. Works great.

Post subject: I can confirm what
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 08:23 

I can confirm what ImperialCommando stated above. It does, in fact, work. I noticed that there were a total of eight instances of AA 42, not six. I don't know if this is a difference in the way that Republic Commmando was written or not, but I replaced all eight instances with no problems. The information is below. I am writing it in such a way so as to make it ready to be used on the main page by the admins when this ultimately gets approved.
As I am a new member, where do I upload screenshots to? Do I need to self-host and link, or does WSGF have its own upload server?

Thanks for your help. Now, the part you're all waiting for:

Open the engine.u file with a hex editor. This is located by default in one of two locations depending upon your OS. In 32-bit OSs, C:Program FilesLucasArtsStar Wars Republic CommandoGameDataSystem; in 64-bit OSs, C:Program Files (x86)LucasArtsStar Wars Republic CommandoGameDataSystem. Search for the following hex values: 00 00 AA 42. There will be eight instances. Each instance will need to be replaced with the value of your desired FOV.
The default value for Republic Commando is 85 degrees.

For a 4:3 resolution:
Change "AA" to "B4"
This will give you a 90° FOV. This is a more standard 4:3 FOV.

For a 16:10 resolution:
Change "AA" to "CC"
This will give you a 102° FOV.

For a 15:9 resolution:
Change "AA" to "D4"
This will give you a 106° FOV.

For a 16:9 resolution:
Change "AA" to "E3"
This will give you a 113.5° FOV.

For a 21:9 resolution (i.e. 2560x1080):
Change "AA 42" to "02 43"
This will give you a 130° FOV.
I did not have a formula to accurately figure out the correct value for a 2.37:1 aspect ratio. I just eyeballed it based upon the change I saw between all the other aspect ratios. If anyone can definitively find the correct FOV, or at least tell me how to find it, I would be most appreciative.

The following resolutions I have tested:

4:3
1280x960

16:10
1680x1050

15:9
1280x768

16:9
1600x900
1920x1080

21:9
1920x810 (windowed resolution)

A note on 21:9 resolutions. For those who aren't aware, 21:9 is a 2.33:1 (technically, two-and-one-third to one) aspect ratio. Resolutions like 2560x1080, however, have a 2.37:1 aspect ratio. In my work on this project I have used the 2.37:1 aspect ratio for 21:9 resolutions.

I have not tested any EyeFinity/surround resolutions/aspect ratios. I do not know if there are any surround-related issues like what Deus Ex: Invisible War experiences, nor do I have any advice on how to remedy them other than what has been stated over on that game's detailed report thread.
I'm pretty sure any common or sub-surround resolution will work fine.

Also, Widescreen Game Fixer recently added support for Republic Commando. The one problem it has though, due to the method of the change, is that your weapon remains in the aim position even though you are no longer aiming. This is remedied by changing your weapon. Note that this does not occur when editing the values in the engine.u file directly.

Values are based upon those used for Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Hope you all this useful. Many thanks goes to ImperialCommando for pointing the method out to make this a reality.
I have also posted this in the Republic Commando Detailed Report thread.