Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 13:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279 ... 302  Next
 Post subject: takaides}I'm a fan of
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2012, 03:58 

I'm a fan of Steam, but apart from Skyrim, I like having all of my games update automatically in the background. I also like the social aspect of being able to friend family, and easily play games with my brother 300mi away. And then there's the lovely aspect of travelling, and the fact that I can simply log into steam on my brother's desktop, and get access to all of my games (and most of my custom key-mapping) without issue, and without having to bring my tower and triple monitor setup.
I don't blame Steam or Valve for the pain and anguish most users of this forum have had to deal with. That blame lies squarely on the shoulders of Bethesda who make a great game, but don't give a shit about the 'hardcore' gamers with expansive and expensive systems and instead about the money making masses and their consoles.
I do agree that if you mark a game as 'do not update' that it should abide by those wishes though.

Yeah, I agree with the "anywhere accessible / downloadable" perk. One I like is that I can buy, download, and instantly play any random game they offer if the mood strikes me without having to drive to the store.

However, all the other negatives IMO are what sink it for me. I see you conceded the "forced update" issue, and that is pretty much the only issue that is screwing us. That is not Bethesda, that is Steam. Bethesda sucks for their lack of the slightest effort and consideration while coding, but the ones not allowing us to benefit from the "clean up" work others have done... Steam. The forced updates, no company published "user implemented" patches or reverts available, no freedom, the crappy user interface, the switching of preferences without warning; all Steam. Not to mention all the EULA details that, contrary to the practicality of "disk bought" games, you don't own what you buy, they can yank it without refund, etc.

The following IS from Cracked, but is no less true...

What many people don't realize about buying digital files online is that you aren't really buying the file; you're just buying a license to use it. Such as video games. The wording from the Steam download services says that paying full price for a game grants ...

"... a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software."

Steam
So you aren't buying Rage. You're buying a Rage license.

That wording is standard -- you find the same in competing download services like EA Origin. If you are playing a game that requires access to the service and they decide to ban you from using it, your ability to play that game is gone and they don't have to offer a refund (or as they put it, "No refund will be granted, no Entitlements will be credited to you or converted to cash or other forms of reimbursement, and you will have no further access to your Account or Entitlements associated with your Account or the particular EA Service").

Not to mention that, though I may be wrong, I always seem to see a lot of postings from people with problems getting Steam games to work, not being compatible or as easy to implement certain mods, etc. as the normal install versions of game software.

And the social issue... I could be wrong with that as well, but I don't see any great difference or advantage that doesn't already exist on every other platform on the market. Than again, I'm not too social, so there you go! :-)

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2012, 07:16 

Yeah, I agree with the "anywhere accessible / downloadable" perk. One I like is that I can buy, download, and instantly play any random game they offer if the mood strikes me without having to drive to the store.

However, all the other negatives IMO are what sink it for me. I see you conceded the "forced update" issue, and that is pretty much the only issue that is screwing us. That is not Bethesda, that is Steam. Bethesda sucks for their lack of the slightest effort and consideration while coding, but the ones not allowing us to benefit from the "clean up" work others have done... Steam. The forced updates, no company published "user implemented" patches or reverts available, no freedom, the crappy user interface, the switching of preferences without warning; all Steam. Not to mention all the EULA details that, contrary to the practicality of "disk bought" games, you don't own what you buy, they can yank it without refund, etc.

The following IS from Cracked, but is no less true...

[quote]

What many people don't realize about buying digital files online is that you aren't really buying the file; you're just buying a license to use it. Such as video games. The wording from the Steam download services says that paying full price for a game grants ...

"... a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software."

Steam
So you aren't buying Rage. You're buying a Rage license.

That wording is standard -- you find the same in competing download services like EA Origin. If you are playing a game that requires access to the service and they decide to ban you from using it, your ability to play that game is gone and they don't have to offer a refund (or as they put it, "No refund will be granted, no Entitlements will be credited to you or converted to cash or other forms of reimbursement, and you will have no further access to your Account or Entitlements associated with your Account or the particular EA Service").

Not to mention that, though I may be wrong, I always seem to see a lot of postings from people with problems getting Steam games to work, not being compatible or as easy to implement certain mods, etc. as the normal install versions of game software.

And the social issue... I could be wrong with that as well, but I don't see any great difference or advantage that doesn't already exist on every other platform on the market. Than again, I'm not too social, so there you go! :-)

This is getting off topic, so this is my last post on the subject, don't feel like I'm ignoring your valid arguments, but what Cracked so validly pointed out is that you don't own the games, you merely own a license for the game. However, just because you own a disk, doesn't mean that you own the game (from a legal standpoint). Almost all big name software coming from companies with any kind of legal team have the same clause in their own EULAs. Microsoft, Apple, Avast, Adobe, etc... all only sell (or give, ie Avast) licenses for their software. It all comes down to what we, as consumers, are willing to tolerate in order to use said software. Windows phones home every so often to verify that you have a valid license, as does Adobe, and most games you install from a disk. Have to put in a key and you are connected to the internet? Even if internet access isn't required, you can almost certainly bet that there will be a license validation check at some point. Sure, you have a disk with your game's code, but if you'd like, you can make one with Steam games (Steam->Backup and Restore Games). Sadly, the current state of the software industry as a whole isn't kind enough to grant free and unlimited use of its products to any and all... or even a few, and some.

Personally, I think Steam is the best, least evil, option available today. That may change, but I feel like they provide the most features I can and do make use of while only requiring things that I'm willing to agree to. 24/7 internet access? Sure. Personal account? Fine. Only allow me to be logged into one computer at a time? I'm the only one using my account, so that's cool with me. Do I wish it could do things better? Of course, but I'd rather deal with Steam than have to repeat the awful experience Games for Windows recently put me through.

You're free to disagree (in fact, I encourage debates on such topics), and I'm hopeful that things will change, but I'd rather play games than argue over which game provider/DRM method is the shittiest. And also, this is a Thread about Skyrim, not Steam's annoyances.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2012, 18:32 

You're free to disagree (in fact, I encourage debates on such topics), and I'm hopeful that things will change, but I'd rather play games than argue over which game provider/DRM method is the shittiest. And also, this is a Thread about Skyrim, not Steam's annoyances.

Hey thanks for the permission to disagree, friend, I really appreciate it! :-) And were you arguing? I wasn't... The initial question I asked was rhetorical and required no such in depth initiation of debate from you, so if you'd rather be playing games I suggest you take your own advice.

Have a nice day!

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2012, 08:20 

Using Widescreen Fixer v3.1 r417 w/ fix version 1.5.26.0.5 w/ TESV just updated to version 1.5.26.0.5.
Skyrim crashes to desktop the moment it activates. I tried starting from the launcher and changing the resolutions and delay, but now it just crashes to desktop the moment I try to load the game from main menu. I click continue and then bam! Desktop. Without Fix it runs and loads fine w/ all the god-awful menu bugs that Bethesda still refuses to correct. I've downgraded skyrim and the fix to 1.4.21.0.4 because those are the last versions that worked.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012, 00:18 

I'm having the same problem, Crashing to desktop before I have a chance
to choose continue or anything else. Without WidescreenFixer works fine, Had been working good

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012, 00:52 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm having the same problem, Crashing to desktop before I have a chance
to choose continue or anything else. Without WidescreenFixer works fine, Had been working good

Are you sure that you properly setup the plugin? Try to set the resolution manually. Also try to run the game without any other mod. The fix doesn't make the game crash, I suspect something else make it

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012, 04:36 

I was having the crash to desktop as soon as I booted as well and found out it was the Catalyst 12.3 and CAP profiles. Uninstall the CAP profile and it should work.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012, 06:52 

Didnt have Cap 1 installed rolled back to 12.2, uninstalled all mods, deleted save games
uninstalled Skyrim , Fresh install with no mods, manual detect, plugin dropped in to plugin folder
like before when everything worked. Checked for virus,s, malware,errors, still just crashes like when
there is a new update. any clues

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012, 09:44 

turned off all mods and pushed timer to 30 secs to check and after 30 secs poof back to desktop, up until 3 days ago working fine...

Cheers

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012, 13:04 
Insiders
Insiders

turned off all mods and pushed timer to 30 secs to check and after 30 secs poof back to desktop, up until 3 days ago working fine...

Cheers

Hmm weird stuff... I see , based on the game version, that no update has been pushed. I cannot seem to find a reason why this happens. Are you using other programs like Afterburner or Fraps that put an overlay? Also try to disable steam ingame overlay. Sometimes (most of the times) it creates this weird behaviour...
Let me know if one of the above fixed your problem.

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279 ... 302  Next