Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 10:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Far Cry 2
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 19:59 

The crux of the argument revolves around which aspect ratio is the "correct" one, 4:3 or 16:9.

I'm not saying 4:3 is the 'correct' AR, It is just the standard to compare it to.

The vertical fov in games should be fixed with the horizontal fov changing based on aspect ratios. By changing the vertical fov in games only one aspect ratio is correctly supported.

Maybe we should put an emphasis on this for developers.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 20:11 

I too am going to do terrible things to people if this is not fixed. Seriously Devs, how can you make a great new engine and produce lovely looking games like Far Cry 2, and not support the proper FOV for widescreen users? Wide FOV = good.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 20:34 

I don't have the game, but is this a roughly accurate representation of 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3?

I'm not looking at the screen right now, but I was running 1600 x 900 on a 16:10 monitor (with black bars on the top and bottom) and that looks right as far as how much of the gun I could see.

At first I thought this was the reason everything felt so cramped, and it wasn't until I googled "far cry 2 fov" that I found out the problem. I'm probably just going to play in a 4:3 resolution until this gets fixed.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 20:52 

No one will ever convince me that this game was designed in 16:9 as the game has a FOV that is clearly too narrow for 16:9 ... it feels wrong ... and it feels perfect in 5:4.

And what about all those FPS games from the last console generation which are 4:3 only an have an equivically narrow FOV for that aspect ratio. Surely you won't argue that those were designed for a narrower aspect ratio than the 4:3 they exclusively support?

Amen, kyleb and dopefish, please go try playing the game in 16:9 or 16:10 and then tell us that it feels better than 4:3.

I am playing it on a 16:9 plasma, as I have done nearly all my gameing on for about 4 years now. The thing is, haven't been talking about feelings. As for my feelings, I'd like a wider FOV, just like I'd like a wider FOV on pretty much every console based FPS around. That goes for the games designed to target 16:9 this generation just the same as it does the ones designed to target 4:3 last generation.

The narrow FOVs of such console games do feel wrong to those of us who are accustomed to the wider FOVs of PC games. However, for console gamers who have generally played such narrow FOV games, and who sit respectively further from their TVs than PC gamers sit from monitors, such narrower FOVs feel perfectly natural.

And, GeneralAdmission, the image you edited is an accurate representation. To clarify the situation, imagine that screnshot is of a cutscene where you talk to two people, one on the left edge of that 16:9 view and one on the right edge. Now imagine if narrower aspect ratios didn't add to the top and bottom of the image, but instead cut off the sides; that would leave 4:3 users not being able to see the charachters talking to them.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 21:01 
Editors
Editors

There is a lot of debate about the correct implementation of widescreen but shouldn't the view get wider the wider your screen gets no matter what the aspect ratio the game was designed in ... Far Cry 2 doesn't.

btw ... click the image to see the full res 5040x1050 version of that screenshot without the lines etc. ... :D

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 21:04 

Checking the Gamerprofile under Docs/My Games/Farcry2.

I saw these two options.. I havnt seen them brought up in this thread yet. Does anyone know if they have any impact on this issue?

ForceWidescreen="0" AspectRatio="0"

"0" being the default value

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 21:24 

this is bad. I was wondering why this game was giving me headaches.

I thought that devs had wised up to this... guess not. The games too addicting to stop, IMO... So i'll just tough it out until there's a FOV hack.... hopefully its soon cause i'd really hate to play all the way through this game like this.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 22:17 

There is a lot of debate about the correct implementation of widescreen but shouldn't the view get wider the wider your screen gets no matter what the aspect ratio the game was designed in ... Far Cry 2 doesn't.

It should get wider when you go to wider aspect ratio, and it should get taller when you go to a narrower aspect ratio. Far Cry 2 unfortunately doesn't do the former to properly support wider aspect ratios than it's intended 16:9 view. However, it does do the latter, which allows it to preserve intended view when using narrower displays.

Post subject: Far Cry 2 widescreen
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 22:24 

Far Cry 2 needs some serious widescreen support, incase none of you knew this is what happens when you set ForceWidescreen="1" from your GameProfile.xml in "X":Documents and Settings"username"My DocumentsMy GamesFar Cry 2

You get the black bars. Has anyone else messed around with the settings? Cant seem to work the AspectRatio="0" setting. Doesnt seem to do anything.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 22:32 
Editors
Editors

... and it should get taller when you go to a narrower aspect ratio.
The screens get wider or narrower ... the height doesn't change so the vertical FOV shouldn't change.

Which is why I posted this to explain ...

The narrower aspect ratios are no taller ... so their vertical FOV does not change.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next