Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 23:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: custom resolution
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2006, 17:29 

I have a game that gives the option to select only those resolutions allowed by your desktop. I would like to play it in widescreen, but the lowest 16:10 resolution available is '1280x800'.

I only bring this up because I read somewhere about a game that did the same thing, and they posted a way to add custom desktop resolutions, which would show up in the game. But the solution was for NVidia cards.

Does anyone know how to add custom resolutions to your desktop with a RADEON card?

B.T.W. PowerStrip wont work for this. It has to actually show up as an option for a desktop resolution.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2006, 18:03 
Editors
Editors

Yes powerstrip will work. With PS you create a custom driver(.inf) with whatever custom resolutions you want for you monitor and install that one and voila you have all the new resolutions to choose from as desktop or game res.

It is not like with Nvidia you can do it on-the-fly without having to install but it works.

There might be an easy way with ati too but I don´t have an ati card so I don´t know how to add custom resolutions on that. Maybe that ati traytools can do something like that.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2006, 18:31 
Editors
Editors

Maybe that ati traytools can do something like that.

I've not used them for all that long, but I've not found a way to do that yet...

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2006, 20:17 

well I have powerstrip and I can't figure out how to do it. Would you mind going through it step by step please?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2006, 21:45 

OK, I've figured out how to make the .ini file, but now I'm haning trouble installing it.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2006, 22:10 
Editors
Editors

Rightclick my computer and choose manage, go to device manager, locate your screen under monitors in the right pane, rightclick your monitor and choose update driver, choose the manual option so you can point out the inf file yourself and install it.

There are many ways to install the monitor driver and this is just one of them. No need to write them all.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2006, 09:31 

I have exactly the same problem with my ATI card: that I want to run games on a low 16:10 resolution.

I have omega drivers installed but it still doesn't have the reslutions that I'm looking for (1152x720 and 1024x640). So I installed powerstrip went to display profiles -- configure -- advanced -- custom resolutions -- add resolutions -- restarted my comp -- tried custom res with windows -- it didn't work properly (there were weird lines everywhere on the screen) -- went back to powerstrip -- removed the custom res -- restarted comp -- and went to display settings in windows -- all the custom res were still listed -- I could set my desktop res to any of them and they worked properly (even the ones that didn't work before) -- I uninstalled powerstrip -- but still every custom res works properly (even in games).

Well, I wrote down every step for you because I'm still not sure where and how I solved my problem.

Could somebody please enlighten me? How could I add the working custom resolutions? I'm just sooo confused...

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2006, 17:19 

Does anybody have any idea about my question above?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2006, 21:59 

i have the almost same situation

Now, i have another problem too,
i have no idea why i can't change the resolution on Powerstrip
the custom resolution was blank that i can't go on this option.
do anyone have idea how can i enable it?

also i have create the profile by powerstrip but after i follow the step

Display properties> Advanced > Monitor > properties> Driver> update Driver

also i try another way:
System Properties> hardware> Device Manager> monitors> plug and play monitor> update driver

it's still won't work.... =.=
i really have no idea of how to set the correct resolution 1440 x 900 for the stupid acer monitor AL1916W

My setup

i can't enable the custom resolution

the profile i created

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2006, 22:46 

First of all, I'm not a big expert in this field but could that be that your monitor simply doesn't support custom resolutions? That's my guess.

I've read it somewhere that it could happen.... maybe it was in a powerstrip guide don't remember...

But going back to my original question: could somebody tell me how I enabled all those resolutions with powerstrip? I want to reformat my HD soon so I want to get back my resolutions. This is still a mystery for me...