Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 08:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2006, 02:19 

Ok all I have my widescreen labtop for over a year or so. Its set to 1680x1050. I have been playing World of warcraft this whole time so I had no problems till now. Got bored and got some other games.

Picked up Knights of the Old Repbulic II : Sith lords for 20 bucks and of course it does not have the widescreen resolution choice that I need. I tried the univeral ws patcher. I get to the GUI and do the "find it for me" option. It does its thing and tells me it found the KOTOR.exe. Excellent I go to enter my new resolution and I can't seem to click on those two boxes to enter 1680x1050. Its like they are unavalibale. I looked for a .ini file in the game folders but I did not see one right off. What am I doing wrong?

I tried the Spellforce 2 demo. Again resolution not supported. I read the solution to replace the desired resolution in the config.xml file. I opened it with notepad. I changed it hit save and ran the demo game again. Nothing changed.

Battle for Middle earth II. I have the full version of the game so the solution I saw on the PC widescreen solutions page was for a demo version. I looked around in the other game files. I saw a file call just INI in caps. Opened in notepad and its HUGE. Not sure if what I need is in there or not.

I think im either missing a step or I just don't know what Im doing :) Im not real used to editing all these files but learn fast. Ill keep trying things. Any tips would be appreaciated. KORTOR II is the one im kinda focused on. Played WoW only on this labtop and it had the stuff I need right out of the box.

I assumed that newer games would support the widescreen. Its totally retarded that they dont hehe. I tried to read as much as I could before posting and making myself look like a total noob. Sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated.

Voxana

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2006, 22:38 

Hello all,

Well I messed with this quite a bit and have come to the conclusion that my video card has a problem with KOTOR2. I may try a different driver for my video card or something. I have read that KOTOR primarily supports 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 resolutions. I found a tweaking guide at this following address:

http://www.tweakguides.com/KOTOR2_1.html

It seemed somewhat helpful. Perhaps it will help someone with the game as well.

The only resolution choices I have are 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024. I don't have an option for 1280x960. It says in the WS patcher to have 1280x960 set as your res and then you new custom res will work. I still have been unable to get the patcher to work. When I edit swkotor2.ini manually with my custom res type and save it does not have a impact on the game at all.

If updating my video card driver does not work or using a different driver then I may just end up running it at 1280x1024. Its not great but in the future I may just stick with games that support WS which I have found most don't.

The biggest disappointment was buying Battle for Middle Earth II and finding out that it does not support WS. It looks so horrible. If it would work properly on a 1680x1050 res it would most likely look fantastic *sigh*

Anyways hopes the tweak guide I found is helpful.

Voxana

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2006, 01:42 
Founder
Founder

Hey Voxana,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Sorry to say, but both EA Games Battle for Middle Earth II and KOTOR II are probably among the worst introductions for gamers new to widescreen. Sorry you had to go though all that frustration. (Kotor II seemed particularly stubborn - i couldn't get it to support 1920x1200 even after messing around with it for three days.)

With cranky and Ibrin's help, I got together a no-hassle list of games both new and old that support widescreen resolutions right out of the box. The way in which they implement widescreen may vary, but no tweaking is required. Just install and play.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3779

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2006, 12:48 

Battle for Middle Earth II should support widescreen, although the field of vision won't be properly adjusted to the wider aspect ratio.

Have a look at:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3447