Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Oct 2024, 19:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 06:27 

Hello good people of WSGF!

I apologize for being selfish and making my first post a request, but i really need your expert help :) The game is (as the title points out) Disciples 2, Rise of the Elves. I cannot, for the life of me, make it run in anything but standard 4:3 resolutions.

Apparently the game has no resolution entry in it's only *.ini file (Disciple.ini), and the only way to make it run in any res other than the default 800x600 is to use the ConfigEditor.exe . The annoying thing is that this tool gives one only 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024 resolutions to chose from. The game has no (at least to me) apparent way of giving you some sort of console access, it does not recognize commands in the end of the path of a shortcut to the .exe and it has no editable files that i could use to change the resolutions.

I hope that someone here will figure out a way of fixing this and add this great TBS to your large list of games.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 10:36 
Editors
Editors

Hi there,
I'm afraid it's simply not possible. The world map part of the game could probably be hacked for some kind of ws support, but then there's the combat part, which is limited to a 4:3 frame (the 2D scenery over which the 3D characters stand). Hacking this game would be pretty tiresome and give unsatisfactory results (stretching) at best...

There was a Disciple 3 (all 3D) in the works some time ago; in the meantime, have respect for the amazing 2D artwork in Dis2, play it at the original aspect ratio ! :P

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 15:04 

Sigh, well it was worth a try :) Thanks for the reply any way! There is a D3 in the works but i have little hope for it since it seems to be made by a different company and it sort of mimicked HOMM5 in it's engine (which is a bad thing for me). Ok thanks any way,

cheers!

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2008, 06:39 

The original Disciples was locked at 640x480 res. Disciples 2 ran in higher resolutions.

I think Disciples 3 supports widescreen. I found this screenshot which is 1440x900: http://en.akella.com/Image.aspx?Path=Games%2f28%2fshot_0001.jpg

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2008, 17:19 
Editors
Editors

Totally different game, but thanks for the heads up, last time I heard of it I thought the project was delayed/cancelled :D
Hopefully it's actual gameplay footage. Hmm, that 2D/3D mix should make for an interesting DR... :)