Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 22:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007, 01:20 

EDIT - Thread title changed to save some installs. :D

The game has an automatic system configuration that forces resolutions or someone screwed the pooch in as big a way as possible.

In game I have

640x400
640x480
800x600
848x480

That is it.

Put this in your target field in the game shortcut.
-ResX=**** -ResY=****

I will get up some pics and a DR in a few.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007, 01:41 

And what a suprise, Vert -. :D

I will hunt around and see if I can find the FOV.

One interesting note is that there are display options for TV mode in game.
Plasma
HD Tube
LCD
NTSC Tube
Bright
Vivid
Film
Hi-Con

I guess some of our more hardcore members might find that neat. (Where is the CRT? 8) )

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007, 02:14 

I think I have located the FOV. When changed the game crashes on load. When switched back, the game crashes on load. :(

I have to reinstall. I will not post the fix unless I can get it working. I do not want to kill your install.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007, 02:58 

Do not edit your ini file!

The game does something similiar to a time stamp or hash check with the file. If you make any change the game will crash on load.

After I reinstalled I made a backup and then added a space and deleted it from the file. After I saved the game would not load. When I switched back the game worked fine. :(

Patch time.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007, 03:42 

NTSC Tube is a CRT

Is it me or is it beginning to look like UE3 games all use the same aspect ratio coding.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007, 04:08 

Thanks. I will try it out and see how it looks.

The game should be Hor+ with an ini edit but not until someone fixes the check problem.

EDIT- Was fooling with the ini file and I have noticied that there is a considerable delay when the file is saved. More than normal. No luck with anything.

I am not going to do a DR. This game needs work and a patch for proper widescreen. If someone wants to do a Vert - go right ahead.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007, 04:47 

And what a suprise, Vert -. :D

Well, arguably 4:3 vert+.

I think the game looks ok at the default FOV in widescreen and presumably the game was developed with widescreen as the primary platform (since the 360 and PS3 are the game's real home).

Vert+/- implementation is still bad of course, it's just that in this case it could be argued that it's 4:3 users that have the incorrect FOV.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 18:35 

Tried editing the modification date of the file which is set to a date before release but it still crashed.

A simple copy in Windows will create another working file but any changes and it crashes on load. Even changes that do not change anything. :?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2007, 09:17 

Personally I consider this game a real Vert+ for 4:3 users as the 16:10 FOV seemed perfectly well for me. Just out of curiosity I had a look at the config file as this post puzzled me. The problem is, that the file contains a lot of binary characters, that aren't treated proper by notepad and wordpad. I've opened the file with Emacs, changed the FOV from 90 to 99, launched the game - crash. I've reverted the change inside Emacs (back to 90), launched the game - no problems. Long story short: one has to use a program, that can handle the binary data (like Emacs, vi or any hex-editor of your choice), but simply changing the FOV value does not work. Maybe some changes of the binary data inside the file as well will help, would require further research.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2007, 22:11 

Thanks for the input. I fooled around with a HEX editor and at least I can save the file now. :D