Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 19:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 13:38 

Ok I'm trying to play Kotor 1 on a 1360 x 768 Monitor which obviously you can't do.

I've downloaded the UniWS program to patch it as well as the files for 1530 x 864 that go in the Override folder.

I also created the 1530 x 864 custom res like you're supposed to, and then my monitor scaled back down to it's native 1360 x 768. I then patched the game at 1024 x 768 to run in 1350 x 864. I then placed the files for the Override folder in to the Override folder.

My problem is that when I then start the game and go to select the 1530 x 864 (which I'm under the impression I should be able to do) it doesn't appear in the list. When I've tried with 1360 x 768 it appears in the list but then I get the problem with the text not appearing in conversation's. The GUI which was supposed to be fixed by the files for the Override folder also doesn't work.

Can someone walk me through it? Preferably someone who's managed to do this. I'm using a Nvidia 9600 gt and the Nvidia control panel means it is easy to create my own resolution, I just need clear steps and some answers why it may not be working.

Thanks

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 16:11 

I've tried again, following the instructions in the right order. I'm not entirely sure what video card scaling is, I was under the impression it was when the screen adjusted to fit better.

When I set the resolution in UniWS for 1530 x 864 it doesn't show in the game options, but 1360 x 768 does.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 07:25 

The modified GUI files will not show up correctly at 1360x768, they are resolution specific, so that is expected behavior.

1530x864 should appear in the list in the game's option if the game is patched with UniWS correctly. I'm the creator of the modified GUI files and I used that resolution myself because I used to have a 1360x768 TV at one point (upgraded to a 1080p display a while back).

If you believe you've patched the game to 1530x864 correctly and the option is still not appearing in the menu for some reason, you should still be able to set the resolution through he ini file. In the main game directory there should be a kotor.ini or something similar (I forget the exact filename). Go ahead and open that up after patching the game and you should see height & width settings. Change them appropriately.

If the game doesn't start correctly at that point either the game was not patched correctly, or the custom resolution (on the video card side) is not working correctly.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 12:36 

The modified GUI files will not show up correctly at 1360x768, they are resolution specific, so that is expected behavior.

1530x864 should appear in the list in the game's option if the game is patched with UniWS correctly. I'm the creator of the modified GUI files and I used that resolution myself because I used to have a 1360x768 TV at one point (upgraded to a 1080p display a while back).

If you believe you've patched the game to 1530x864 correctly and the option is still not appearing in the menu for some reason, you should still be able to set the resolution through he ini file. In the main game directory there should be a kotor.ini or something similar (I forget the exact filename). Go ahead and open that up after patching the game and you should see height & width settings. Change them appropriately.

If the game doesn't start correctly at that point either the game was not patched correctly, or the custom resolution (on the video card side) is not working correctly.

Ok, thanks for the reply and it has half worked. I modified the .ini so the game now runs at the correct resolution but the screen is out of sync.

What I mean is that when I go to click on a menu button for example, the mouse isn't aligned with the screen, so I'll have to go lower then the menu button to highlight it.

Also, the convo options appear but half the HUD (except the health bar and portrait which is in exactly the right place) has gone off screen. Any ideas now?
Sorry to be a pain in the arse.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 15:20 

Ok I've noticed something interesting:

Like I said above where the page goes out of alignment with the mouse so they don't line up, this doesn't happen until after I load a save.

So everything's fine when:
I start the game and get to the main menu, everything aligns correctly - I press load and the game loads in about 3 seconds.

It goes wrong DURING the load, the screen flicks for a split second, and the central window with the menu buttons flicks closer to the upper right side of the screen.

I've also noticed that when I start the game up and get to the main menu (when everything is aligned) that the menu box is lower and closer to the bottom right corner (where as it should obviously be in the middle).

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 02:32 

That sounds like your video card isn't scaling/centering the screen properly. Check your scaling settings or your custom resolution setup.

Video card scaling has always been finicky with both nVidia and ATI cards. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee you can get it to work correctly, even if you do everything right.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 09:39 

Ok, will try it.

What would it need to be set to?

And where oh WHERE is the scaling option?! I assumed it would be in the Nvidia control panel but I can't see it anywhere.

I'm running Vista by the way (as the location will probs be different to XP as always).

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 11:13 

Scaling is right there on the left... says flat-panel scaling. I don't think it appears if you are using VGA though, FYI.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:08 

Brilliant - I am using VGA. So I can't scale unless I'm not using that connection?

Like I said I'm a novice at this as it's something I've never had to bother with before - I'm really not stupid :lol:

Scrap that, I forgot about this but (at the PC end) my monitor cable (which is a VGA) is plugged into some sort of adapter.

If you look here: http://www.bitcorner.de/shop/images/kabel/roldvivgastbu.jpg

That's exactly what I've got, the regular VGA on top plugged into the DVI adapter on the bottom which in turn goes into the machine - I haven't got one plugged in the monitor end though as no one's ever said I need to.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 21:22 

Which one has no DVI connection, your monitor or your video card? I am confused as to which one is forcing VGA on you.

Anyway, I don't know of a method to foce scaling through VGA, but google something like "force flat panel scailng through VGA" and see what comes up... you never know.