Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 08:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 02:08 

Anyone know if anyone's working on a fix for it? They decided to drastically increase the FOV from the first game, which would be fine if I was playing a kiddiebox360 from across the room, but I'm not. I'm on a 22" monitor a few feet away, and running around everywhere with a FOV of 55 is going to make me sick to the point of vomit induction.

Kinda off topic, but why is it that the average FOV is almost half of what it was 5+ years ago? In another 5 years everyone will be running around Call of Duty making sniper shots with their 5 degree FOV all while never knowing they have been standing next to an enemy forever.

Really though, it doesn't make sense, given that MORE people are acquiring wide-screen monitors/TV's than before, yet the FOV's shrink. Seems backwords and counter-intuitive. Is there some sort of false perception like with the "volume wars" of the audio industry? If they're going to making navigating the ship difficult from the FOV, they could at least leave the command to change the FOV. I don't get why they don't; Mass Effect 2 isn't even a multiplayer game so "cheating" by increasing FOV shouldn't matter. Is it just because they care that little about the PC port that they can't include one simple command to change FOV?

Sorry, I'm frustrated.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 10:01 
Editors
Editors

Just FYI, the FOV is also being discussed on the Multi-monitor forum: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/12178
A patch has been announced that will correct the FOV in triple-screen resolutions... maybe it'll reveal how the FOV works and can be altered in widescreen, too :?:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 02:37 

I didn't see this posted here yet...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138680

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 05:04 

I didn't see this posted here yet...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138680

Unfortunately for eyefinity, it's not really a working solution. The menus are still zoomed in (I can live with that), in game looks good until you do any dialogue. The dialogue options are cut off of the screen.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 05:48 

I don't think the FOV is 55 or anywhere near that low. Anyone know what it actually is?

Anyway, ME2 FOV feels fine to me at 16:9 and was designed for that ratio I am sure.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 18:26 

I don't think the FOV is 55 or anywhere near that low. Anyone know what it actually is?

Anyway, ME2 FOV feels fine to me at 16:9 and was designed for that ratio I am sure.

Well according to the previous link, it's 70. I feel that the FOV of when you're running is the perfect default FOV. Using that 'fix' in the link allowed me to see it on one screen at 16:9 with 80 FOV and that seemed perfect.

However... like I said, it's still unplayable in triple wide which is a disappointment. Guess I'll just wait for the official patch for eyefinity.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 23:20 

Hello, from my forum browsing i found a half-solution that QuesarAA in gamespot forums patched together.
It works pretty ok by fixing the weapon zoom that gets broken from the usual FOV command, Cutscenes is still crapped tho.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/masseffect2workingtitle/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-53263798&pid=944906

I have had great problems with the FOV as well with this game... It is awesome, but it is really really problematic for me to play games with a narrow FOV. It causes me nausea after a few minutes. Especially when the character is this close to the screen.
Basically I need 85-105 degs in order to be confortable.

I have not been able to find anything related to the "normall" fov in the coalesced.ini file. But I did find zoom (right click) fov and sniper right click fov...

As you might probably already know, you can use the command "FOV xx" either in the game console or even better bind it directly to a key, which changes the fov all right, But: Once you use this command to change the fov, it will break all fov changes in the game: right click will no longer zoom, including sniper rifle, the cutscenes will look a little bit off, etc.

I managed to put together a remarkably crude workaround, but I prefer a worse gaming experience to nausea.

If you search the coalesced.ini file (which is a pain in itself to edit, google "coalesced.ini" for instructions, it is very complicated and deserves a 5 page thread in itself) you will find this line :
Bindings=( Name="RightMouseButton", Command="Shared_Aim" )

and this line ...
(Bindings=( Name="Shared_Aim", Command="SwapWeaponIfEmpty | TightAim | OnRelease StopTightAim )

You can change this line to:
(Bindings=( Name="Shared_Aim", Command="SwapWeaponIfEmpty | TightAim | OnRelease StopTightAim| FOV 40 | OnRelease FOV 100" )

Basically what this does is, crudely, repair the right click zoom: it manually changes the fov to 40 as soon as you right click to aim, and then sets it to 100 once you release the right click.

That basically means that you also aim with a 40 deg field of vision with sniper rifles. Which is NOT good.

So, I also added these two lines:
At [SFXGame.SFXGameModeDefault] :
Bindings=( Name="Z", Command="SniperRifleZoom" ) at and at [SFXGame.SFXGameModeBase]
Bindings=( Name="SniperRifleZoom", Command="FOV 10" )

So, you aim the sniper-rifle with right click and then press z to zoom in and aim. Once you release right click, everything is ok.

As I said, incredibly crude but I could not find a better way, at least until someone figures out a way to extract the game files.

+

Now that I think of it, you only need

Bindings=( Name="Z", Command="FOV 10" )

instead of two commands...

If some genious found a way to fix cutscenes aswell, it would be a perfectly good fix =)
..and even better, fix hud for Eyefinity res

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 17:50 

Tried the demo, like the game but FOV is indeed not good. Any word on a better fix. Racer_S not interested in doing a fix for this game?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 03:11 

If some genious found a way to fix cutscenes aswell, it would be a perfectly good fix =)
..and even better, fix hud for Eyefinity res

Yeah, the fov level during cutscenes is not proper and drastically reduces the cinematic feel of the conversations/game.

Partial fix is I've bound a key to fov 40 and hit that before starting conversations. After a few dialogs MOST of the time the cinimatic fov goes back to default.

Or for perfect default experience, do a quicksave/quickload before enter conversations, that resets to default fov but is much more time consuming.