Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 Jun 2024, 14:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 07:56 

Anandtech talked a little about the 5870 Eyefinity 6 edition during their 5830 review:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3750&p=2

Post subject: Re: Dave... Eyefinity6
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 09:44 

Gah!! Only 2 mini-dp to single link DVI? Awwww I need 4 to start. Oh well, atleast I know I need to order another 2 cables now atleast.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 13:23 

Gah!! Only 2 mini-dp to single link DVI? Awwww I need 4 to start. Oh well, atleast I know I need to order another 2 cables now atleast.

When Dave was talking about "wait until you see what's in the package", I thought about the possibility of more than 2 DAC's on board, and considered yet again if I should wish for more patience. I realized that I am happy enough with my DisplayPort monitors (P2310H) even if I could have bought cheaper options, and I've been enjoying two of them at a time while I wait for the 5870E6.

If true, I am disappointed that they're pushing for vendors to include anything. While it doesn't impact cost greatly, if it's a good idea vendors could include the adapters they want, without forcing one size on all. Just like there are a couple of the cables that you won't use, I won't use any as I've already bought a miniDP to DP adapter for each monitor I have (I picked up 10ft cables) Allowing vendors to offer different bundles for different users would potentially allow both OzHuski and I to get the adapters we want without wasting money on ones we don't. This is especially true for those who might CrossFire these cards.

They're a waste of cost for the vendor and retail price for me. Monoprice lists the 5 items AnandTech mentions as about $35 retail. Even at their rates, it's adding a decent unneeded amount to the final retail price on the card for me. Hopefully, AnandTech is wrong.

Overall, I hope that there's some pushback internally to allow more nontechnical details to leak out earlier. It'd be nice if nothing was demo-ed that wasn't coming within x months without warning the consumer (and a comment given in the case of slippage). Apparently x = 6 or so, which seems a bit high to me. We've known that this card is coming since last fall. Maybe I was unrealistic, but given when the 5870E6 was demoed, I was expecting it in time for Christmas or an announcement at CES.

Something like "We want to broaden the 5xxx line to the budget end of the market, give some time to stabalize Eyefinity drivers, and have some new software features to roll out before we feel comfortable releasing the 5870E6. It's likely going to be longer than either ATI or you would like." would have been great to reduce undue expectations. In retrospect, I understand why it's waited, I just wish that I had known so I could have been more patient.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 14:58 
Editors
Editors

Perhaps I'm getting a bit confused (got other things on my mind at the minute) but I want a couple of things clarified if I may:

- How many screens the "5876" can actually EyeFinity together
- How many screens the "5876" can run in EyeFinity if also running in Crossfire
- What connection options there are for >3 screens. I currently suspect it'll be an all mini-DisP->DisP setup, using whatever monitors that are available with a DisP connector. Such as the Dell P2210H, U2410, 2711 and 3008...

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 17:15 

- What connection options there are for >3 screens. I currently suspect it'll be an all mini-DisP->DisP setup, using whatever monitors that are available with a DisP connector. Such as the Dell P2210H, U2410, 2711 and 3008...

From my understanding of what I read so far:
- 6 (all connected to one card) // haven't actually read it, but should work

1 of the screens can be hdmi/dvi or dp
1 of the screens can be dvi or dp
rest needs to be dp or will need an active DP to dvi/vga adapter.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 23:35 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]

From my understanding of what I read so far:
- 6 (all connected to one card) // haven't actually read it, but should work

1 of the screens can be hdmi/dvi or dp
1 of the screens can be dvi or dp
rest needs to be dp or will need an active DP to dvi/vga adapter.
this.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 10:49 

I thought that they would be including dongles, so that is why I bought 3 wires... I hate dongles or extra stuff that isn't needed. So I got my 3 Mini to Regular DP Cables waiting.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 05:07 
Founder
Founder

On February 25th, ATI announced the long awaited Eyefinity6. By and large the technical specs are the same. The differences are the 2GB of RAM, the six Mini-DP outputs and power consumption. Power has increased from the HD 5870 (188W/27W) to Max 228W and Idle 34W. The box also comes with an array of adapters from Mini-DP to other display types.

Here are a couple of slides from the press deck I was briefed with a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 05:14 
Founder
Founder

Since all of my monitors have a DP port, I'm going to be picking up Mini-DP > DP cables from MonoPrice.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 07:20 
Insiders
Insiders

Oh that's interesting, there's only 2 passive adapters since I'm guessing there's still only 2 DVI clocks?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next