Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 17:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 17:36 

I am reading posts on here, overclock.net and other places on the net that you don't need an active displayport to dvi adaptor. People are saying that a non-active displayport to vga will do? This can't be right can it?

Would the non-active display port to vga give a resolution of 1920x1200? And if so would the image look any diffrent? Lag? Would it give a poor response time?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 17:51 

It more then just a rumor. check out all the posts at
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17468

Also, I bought one of the vga adapters thinking that I was going to get another bum active adapter. Turned out the active one I got works great. I still have the DP > VGA in my office closet, un opened.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 18:08 

It more then just a rumor. check out all the posts at
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17468

Also, I bought one of the vga adapters thinking that I was going to get another bum active adapter. Turned out the active one I got works great. I still have the DP > VGA in my office closet, un opened.

-Tanshin

Oh cool!! I will cancel my order for the active one. Will the basic displayport to vga adaptor be ok or is there a specific one to use?

So there wont be any adverse affects using VGA and/or the adaptor? The other monitors will be in with the DVI connections. The monitors max resolutions are 1920x1200. Will vga do that?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 18:14 

vga has no limit for resolution, it's just that at higher resolutions you will lose detail. That's why we have dvi and newer ports that can carry a higher detailed image at the upper resolution. You should be a-ok for that resolution. in that other thread, they give links to the vga adapter that is confirmed to work.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 18:30 

vga has no limit for resolution, it's just that at higher resolutions you will lose detail. That's why we have dvi and newer ports that can carry a higher detailed image at the upper resolution. You should be a-ok for that resolution. in that other thread, they give links to the vga adapter that is confirmed to work.

-Tanshin

I have found that same adaptor on the post for £15 deliverd on ebay - over on overclock.net they are saying it won't work.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 18:40 

If you are planning this for Eyefinity, or a three monitor set-up. whith three different outputs, you must use an active adapter.

Here's the reason. Most video cards are designed for the connection of a maximum of 2 monitors. These Video cards contain two timing circuits for syncing the timings of the video card's output and the monitor connected.

Displayport does not require the timing signal that is required for say a DVI connection, but once converted to VGA/DVI the monitor connected, does require some form of timing signal.

If you have only two monitors connected... great.. your video card can produce 2 timing signals for the two monitors, regardless of where your connections are. A non-active display port converter can carry the timing signal, when it is one of only two connections to the video card. Add a third monitor, and the video card does not have the ability to provide this third timing signal, and a seperate video output.

As mentioned before, a displayport connection to a displayport input on a monitor, does not require the timing signal. Using a non-active adapter to convert displayport to DVI/VGA in this senario, does not add a timing signal, that the monitor can sync with. Yotr other two displays (presumably connected via DVI/HDMI/VGA, are already using the timing signals the Vid card is capable of. The active adapter does just that... It creates a timing signal for the third monitor that has be converted to another input type, other than displayport.

This was posted on overclock.net and says that you DO need an active adaptor