Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 02:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crossfire Profiles!
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 04:19 

Just noticed this!

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-CrossFireX-Profile-Application-1.0-download-2501.html

Installed. Got a nice bump in BFBC2. Also, my Afterburner graph appear more realistic (prior, both GPU's were just pegged).

No clue where it sits or how to access it yet. Cant find an icon off SM or option in CCC. Smart people, please tell me how (or if I need to) use this, or if I just install the updates as new profiles become available.

:)

Post subject: Re: Crossfire Profiles!
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 04:51 

The "profiles" are not end user profiles, but a mechanism for us to patch the profiles that are stored within the driver ourside of a driver release. So, if you installed Cat 10.3a and then installed the update then you'll have the latest profiles that are available.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 04:55 

The "profiles" are not end user profiles, but a mechanism for us to patch the profiles that are stored within the driver ourside of a driver release. So, if you installed Cat 10.3a and then installed the update then you'll have the latest profiles that are available.

Sweet, sounds like that's exactely where I am at. Working great. Thanks for the info Dave.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 17:04 

Has anybody tries this with 2x 5970's running in eyefinity?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 21:36 

Is there a single card profile anywhere? How big of a boost did you get?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 22:39 

It lists AvP -> Single GPU and Crossfire profile

So I installed it even though I don't have crossfire. Havn't tested if there are any benifits yet though.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 23:58 

It lists AvP -> Single GPU and Crossfire profile

So I installed it even though I don't have crossfire. Havn't tested if there are any benifits yet though.

Yea I did notice that. I installed it anyway as well. I guess I just don't understand how these profiles work so if anyone knows could they educate me on them. Why is it that some games are only for crossfire, but some games on the list say single gpu as well. Are there any separate profiles just for single card users. Again I don't really understand how these work so I guess I just don't understand how and why these profiles would only benefit a crossfire setup. Specifically BFBC2 so if there is a single card profile for that game then where is it.

Another question I have is do you have to enable these profiles somewhere or what. And why don't they just include this in the CCC suite as part of the driver.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 13:54 

Single and multi-gpu profiles are included in the driver releases we download every month (9.12, 10.1, etc). They are internal to the driver and not visible in CCC. They load automatically when the game is launched.

In the past, if a big new game came out in between driver releases then ATI would often issue a hotfix driver which would weigh in at 100MB+.

With the Application Profiles Update patcher they can add single and multi-gpu profiles for new games and update older games' profiles whenever necessary and keep the filesize to less than 1MB.

For us it means a smaller download and a quicker response from ATI to new games.

For ATI it means less bandwidth and less QA.

The word "profiles" is a bit of a sticking point. There are Application Profiles and CCC Profiles. Application Profiles are described above while CCC Profiles allow you to save your settings on any or all of the pages of CCC and load them up via the Profiles Manager, shortcut, tray icon or hotkey. These are visible in CCC under Options -> Profiles. Both are usually just referred to as profiles so there can be some confusion. Especially as you can also use a CCC Profile to launch an application with your choice of AA/AF/vsync/etc.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 14:42 

Single and multi-gpu profiles are included in the driver releases we download every month (9.12, 10.1, etc). They are internal to the driver and not visible in CCC. They load automatically when the game is launched.

In the past, if a big new game came out in between driver releases then ATI would often issue a hotfix driver which would weigh in at 100MB+.

With the Application Profiles Update patcher they can add single and multi-gpu profiles for new games and update older games' profiles whenever necessary and keep the filesize to less than 1MB.

For us it means a smaller download and a quicker response from ATI to new games.

For ATI it means less bandwidth and less QA.

The word "profiles" is a bit of a sticking point. There are Application Profiles and CCC Profiles. Application Profiles are described above while CCC Profiles allow you to save your settings on any or all of the pages of CCC and load them up via the Profiles Manager, shortcut, tray icon or hotkey. These are visible in CCC under Options -> Profiles. Both are usually just referred to as profiles so there can be some confusion. Especially as you can also use a CCC Profile to launch an application with your choice of AA/AF/vsync/etc.

Hey thanks a lot that answered most of questions about them.

One more question, how do they determine what profiles they are going to create. I see there is a BFBC2 for crossfire but why no Single GPU.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 21:08 

This is guesswork but I'm sure ATI and Nvidia work with developers at some point before release to get the games running as well as possible on their hardware. If the game has licensed an engine which ATI/Nvidia are already familiar with (Unreal, etc) then I'd imagine getting the profiles ready would be a lot quicker than a proprietary engine. I would guess that they write profiles for most new games in order to get the best performance on their hardware via compatability flags and/or af/aa/shader optimisations.

The single-gpu profile for BFBC2 was probably included in the 10.2 or 10.3 preview driver.

They either didn't have a fully optimised crossfire profile ready in time to be in those drivers or they wanted lots of attention on the new app profile updater so they held the CF profile for that (marketing is important around the time of your competitions product release dates :wink: )