Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 17:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 05:56 

So I've been using 2 5770s xfired for about 2 years. While the performance is alright, I've gotten tired of having to deal with the Displayport. I'm tired of getting flickering on the screen. I'm tired of having to unplug and replug my adapter. I'm tired of every time I do some driver update (regardless of it being related to the graphics card or not) I have to go through the process of setting everything back up, which usually results in about an hour of unplugging and restarting the computer in every possible order. What annoys me the most about this is I've recently done a fresh install of Windows, and before I install CCC, all 3 monitors work fine. As soon as I install CCC trying to get Eyefinity to work, then the problems start.

So, at this point, I want to get a card that doesn't require a Displayport out. I've found these cards so far:

5670 1GB
6770 1GB
6870 1GB
6950 2GB

Note: I know there is also a 5770 Flex, but I'm not finding a price difference between it and the 6770.

Now, as far as I know, wasn't there also a HIS card that supported Eyefinity without Displayport? As far as the cards listed, there are only 2 I see worth getting. The 5670 is obviously a downgrade. The 6870 won't crossfire with a 5770, thus making it also a downgrade. That leaves the 6770, which would give me the same performance as I get now, or the 6950, which I can replace both cards and get a slight performance increase. (I know you can OC the 6950 and make it a 6970).

So does anyone know of other cards besides these that might work? Or does someone have a suggestion on where I should go from here? I'm leaning towards the 6950 and selling my 2 5770s. Sound like a good idea?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 09:44 
Insiders
Insiders

As far as I can tell none of those options are usable. The third port will still have to be displayport. No card will do DVI+DVI+HDMI. It'll only do DVI+DVI+DP or DVI+HDMI+DP. The cards only have two legacy clocks for legacy ports, so you can't push three displays via all legacy ports. Can only use two legacy ports at a time.

Post subject: According to the newegg
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 15:20 

According to the newegg articles I linked:

The SAPPHIRE HD 6770 FleX delivers a true SLS (Single Large Surface) work area without the need for costly DisplayPort monitors or Active adapters. With the SAPPHIRE FleX solution, the first two monitors are connected to the two DVI outputs, as usual. A third DVI monitor can be connected to the HDMI output with the passive adapter supplied. The SAPPHIRE HD 6770 FleX can also support up to four simultaneous, independent monitors if you choose to include the use of a DisplayPort monitor or active adapter.

Which is a direct quote from the Sapphire website:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1073&pid=1194&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

According to WSGF's own faq:

Is there a way to avoid Display Port?
Yes. Sapphire has just recently announced and launched the Sapphire HD 5770 FleX Edition. The card forgoes 2 DL-DVI outputs, in favor of 1x SL-DVI and 1x DL-DVI. This allows the card to utilize three display clocks to drive the outputs - up to a maximum of 1920x1200. A SL-DVI connection only requires one clock (but maxes out at 1920x1200). A DL-DVI connection requires two clocks (which allows it to max out at 2560x1600).

http://widescreengamingforum.com/article/amd-eyefinity-faq

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 16:05 

He still is correct, just that you need a DP adapter still.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

Post subject: Ok, I'm either not
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 17:20 

Ok, I'm either not understanding what you are saying, or you are blatantly contradicting what is said that the cards can do. Why is it I still need an DP adapter? Why is it that I can use EVERY output on the card at once, but if I only use 3, I have to use a DP adapter?

To quote some reviews:

I fought with eyefinity and their display ports since the beginning so this flex version made my dreams come true. I use HDMI -> HDMI, HDMI -> DVI, HDMI-> DVI and it works like a dream. No screen tearing as another user stated not sure why they are having that problem.

This card is great! I am running two DVI monitors and a TV through HDMI simultaneously. I get 80 FPS on high settings at 1650x1080 in WOW while watching a 1080P movie on my tv! Audio output through HDMI works flawlessly. All with a single $140 card?

I have only had the card a short time, but wow. This card can run the three games I have at high settings in eyefinity. (Hot pursuit, BF BC2, Dirt 3). If you are seeking to do an eyefinity setup with one card and without adapters this is the card for you.

I fought with eyefinity and their display ports since the beginning so this flex version made my dreams come true. I use HDMI -> HDMI, HDMI -> DVI, HDMI-> DVI and it works like a dream. No screen tearing as another user stated not sure why they are having that problem.

Cons: Your going to need two DVI->HDMI converts if you set it up like mine but hey it's better than 100 bucks for a active display port to HDMI converter as opposed to two 10 dollar adapaters.

It plugged in 3 monitors without a mini display port, Everything is working great..

. . .The BIG difference is for 3 monitor/Eyefinity setups. You DO NOT need an Active Displayport Adaptor with this model. The card is designed to handle 3 monitor setups as is.

Is there something I'm missing?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2011, 17:50 

The sapphire flex edition can supposedly work without using one of the mini-display ports for output on the 3rd monitor in eyefinity. I am not sure how well it lives up to it's claim, but I have purchased this card and I can report back in a couple of days after I receive it.

As for avoiding displayport cards, I actually want to bring something up about them in case you are unaware: for eyefinity setups, it is ALWAYS better to get a card that can output all 3 monitors with the same type of output. the default implementation (and typical use) of eyefinity on a 6000 series radeon is 2 dvi + displayport. the problem with this setup is that you will see a "tear" on the DP screen. this is not ordinary screen tear from v sync off; it's more like a moving scanline like on old fashion tube tvs getting static in the picture. this is not a software issue and drivers will not fix it. it is hardware problem with displayports outputting at a different frequency than dvi. so the only way to avoid this is if you use the same type of output for all of the displays.

there are several cards out now that have feature, but it seems like the most cost effective ones are the asus eah6950 dc ii 2gb and, as I will ascertain in a few days, the sapphire flex 6950 you linked to. I have owned the asus personally and I can confirm that the card does not have this issue when I use 3 displayports for my 3 monitors. however my card was faulty and could not run eyefinity at it's factory overclocked settings of 810mhz. I have returned it and that is why I'm getting the flex. I hope the flex will not have this problem since it sounds like they just split one of the dual link dvi ports into 2 single link and routed one to the hdmi port.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2011, 18:51 

The sapphire flex edition can supposedly work without using one of the mini-display ports for output on the 3rd monitor in eyefinity. I am not sure how well it lives up to it's claim, but I have purchased this card and I can report back in a couple of days after I receive it.

As for avoiding displayport cards, I actually want to bring something up about them in case you are unaware: for eyefinity setups, it is ALWAYS better to get a card that can output all 3 monitors with the same type of output. the default implementation (and typical use) of eyefinity on a 6000 series radeon is 2 dvi + displayport. the problem with this setup is that you will see a "tear" on the DP screen. this is not ordinary screen tear from v sync off; it's more like a moving scanline like on old fashion tube tvs getting static in the picture. this is not a software issue and drivers will not fix it. it is hardware problem with displayports outputting at a different frequency than dvi. so the only way to avoid this is if you use the same type of output for all of the displays.

there are several cards out now that have feature, but it seems like the most cost effective ones are the asus eah6950 dc ii 2gb and, as I will ascertain in a few days, the sapphire flex 6950 you linked to. I have owned the asus personally and I can confirm that the card does not have this issue when I use 3 displayports for my 3 monitors. however my card was faulty and could not run eyefinity at it's factory overclocked settings of 810mhz. I have returned it and that is why I'm getting the flex. I hope the flex will not have this problem since it sounds like they just split one of the dual link dvi ports into 2 single link and routed one to the hdmi port.

I also purchased the Flex 6950. Should be getting it tomorrow. Yeah, I'm aware that have the same native display is always better, wasn't an option when I first bought my cards. A appreciate someone else here who can actually read and not give the stock answer of "you need DP for Eyefinity" without researching the subject. I can't wait to try it out. And when the 7000 series comes out, and the price goes down, eventually I might get a second one to Crossfire, because it seems to scale pretty well.

Post subject: Elmakai wrote:I also
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2011, 08:32 
Insiders
Insiders

I also purchased the Flex 6950. Should be getting it tomorrow. Yeah, I'm aware that have the same native display is always better, wasn't an option when I first bought my cards. A appreciate someone else here who can actually read and not give the stock answer of "you need DP for Eyefinity" without researching the subject. I can't wait to try it out. And when the 7000 series comes out, and the price goes down, eventually I might get a second one to Crossfire, because it seems to scale pretty well.

With answer like that I'm surprised you'll get any help from me in the future. You'll find that I do know what I'm talking about. I subcontract out to AMD directly to assist them at their promotional events. Now what is done as a one-off aftermarket design by a partner vender isn't normal. If they claim they can do it, then I suppose they can, but don't expect that behavior from any other AMD Eyefinity card. When asking for help it's probably a good idea not to be an arse about it to those attempting to assist you.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 05:53 

With answer like that I'm surprised you'll get any help from me in the future. You'll find that I do know what I'm talking about. I subcontract out to AMD directly to assist them at their promotional events. Now what is done as a one-off aftermarket design by a partner vender isn't normal. If they claim they can do it, then I suppose they can, but don't expect that behavior from any other AMD Eyefinity card. When asking for help it's probably a good idea not to be an arse about it to those attempting to assist you.

Well, let me first say I never claimed I knew more about AMD cards than anyone else. I never claimed you didn't know what you were talking about. What I said was is someone can give me an answer other than "shooting from the hip", so to speak. If a company does something a little different than what is the norm, instead of telling me:

The third port will still have to be displayport. No card will do DVI+DVI+HDMI. It'll only do DVI+DVI+DP or DVI+HDMI+DP.

. . .you could have just said you didn't know. When you tell me something that is contradictory to what is being said by the company, can you understand why I'm baffled at the response? What makes it worse is I get essentially the same response again, (not from you) but even with less explanation. Essentially, what I see the conversation amount to is:

"Which of these cards that don't need DP would you suggest?"

"You need DP."

"That's not what the manufacturer says."

"You need DP."

"But even all these people say that they don't need it."

. . .No response for days.

Admittedly though, I did come across like you said, an "arse", for which, I apologize. I probably was taking out my frustration with my Eyefinity problems out on both of the original responders. With that being said, I can confirm that the Flex 6950 by Sapphire does not require a DP monitor/adapter. I am currently using 2 DVIs and one HDMI. I have two DP ports open, which are both 1.2 so I could possibly daisy chain 3 additional monitors for a total of 6.

Post subject: well, after all good to
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 12:06 

well, after all good to know.

the quite simple thing is that afaik the common cards do just have two timing clocks for the outputs. (wich is a pretty crappy thing since it could work if the manufacturer would have wanted it)
since your monitor needs the third clock it wont ever work without a DP. - so far so good -
the Flex (id didnt read the specifications) will have either a third clock or an intern soft/hardware workaround.
So, the thing is , i dont think the poster was an "arse" since he pretty clearly explained what his problem was and even though my first thought as well was "wont work" after considering what he was up to i thought "well this will work".

so i can tell our "arse" mate that calling people an arse after not reading their thread properly isnt THAT nice...
just wanted this to be mentioned.
I had the same impression on reading the posts like the poster - a "shoot from the hip " answering..

nvm dont wanna blame someone :) hf