Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 22:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 06:43 

Hi,

I need to decide which monitor will be better for Eyefinity:

DELL U2312HM 23" IPS panel

or

LG E2441T 24"

Do you think that the 1" diffrence will be significant?
Or the IPS panel from DELL will give me better gaming experience?

Thank you,

Dani

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 08:56 

Hi,

I need to decide which monitor will be better for Eyefinity:

DELL U2312HM 23" IPS panel

or

LG E2441T 24"

Do you think that the 1" diffrence will be significant?
Or the IPS panel from DELL will give me better gaming experience?

Thank you,

Dani

If you follow the "experts" any IPS display will be much better than the other option you posted. AND, if those Dell panels have native DP connection, even better!

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 21:14 

I do need to mention that IPS display's cost much more, and have a much greater response time. For gaming, a screen of 5 ms or faster is recommended. However, IPS has improved on the response times, but it will cost you. I'm not the one saying that you will notice the 5 ms of a TN panel versus the 8 ms you get on an IPS panel (for example), however, that is what the "pro's" say.

PS: I'm typing this on a 2 ms screen :p

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 22:37 
Editors
Editors

Dyre said it!

IPS have way better image quality (at least every one say's that! They're not such a "WOW" better than a good TN panel)
But the important thing for Eyefinity is the Displayport. Its a MUST for Eyefinity. If you do it with a Monitor who has it native or if you buy an extra active adapter... its your choice ;)

and about reaction time of monitor.... Thes ultra pro 2ms reaction time screens! Just ignore it! Read some reviews about gaming monitors. There you get more information if a screen is FPS ready or not. This 2ms are from black to white change, and not color ;) they just write some small numbers that sounds cool!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 12:01 

Although I said I was typing this on a 2 ms screen, I am probably getting three IPS panels for my new eyefinity setup. They're at 14 ms, and I've read somewhere that 16.7 ms is 1 fps in your game (trying to find the source all morning :~ )
Anyway, IPS panels are of much greater image quality, give much more contrast (also from color to color Haldi ;) ) so you will even see enemys lying in a dark corner, whereas on a TN panel you would just get slapped in the face by them. I've read some stuff about IPS panels 'tearing' when the screen must react to, for example, a strobe light in your game. However, turning on V-sync in the game options menu will dismiss this problem ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing ).

Input lag

Video games, which have a wide variety of rendering engines, tend to benefit well visually from vertical synchronization, as a rendering engine is normally expected to build each frame in real time, based on whatever the engine's variables specify at the moment a frame is requested. However, because vertical synchronization causes input lag, it interferes with the interactive nature of games, and particularly interferes with games which require precise timing or fast reaction times.

This is really the only thing that TN panels have over IPS panels, and I doubt that (unless you are a world class gamer) this will weigh up against the far more superiour quality of IPS panels.
Hope this helps!

Post subject: I appreciate your
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 09:50 

I appreciate your replies.

Thank you.