Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 23:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 16:47 

EDIT: look at this new thread I recently started, because the Flex cards are no longer available. In the new thread a similar option gets discussed.

Hello people,

I've recently ordered an AMD 6950 Flex because I thought it was the only way to evade all the problems regarding flickering if I want to use 3 DVI/HDMI monitors.
However, on youtube and on this forum there are a lot of people that run three monitors in Eyefinity on cards such as the 6970. And they have no problem at all running games.
So I was wondering:
-Do these people all have active displayportadapters or have displayport monitors?
-Or do these people just connect 2 monitors to the 2 DVI and connect the other monitor to the HDMI port?

I doubt point one because displayport monitors cost tons of money, and so do three active displayport adapters.
I doubt point two because connecting your three monitors that way is the reason flickering happens and to prevent that they released a Flex edition.

Can anyone please help me with this/give me some information?

Moose

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 17:02 
Administrators
Administrators

The screen flickering issue was largely resolved a while ago, I think it was a hardware issue, none of the 69xx line should have it. Personally I use two active DP to DVI adaptors, one DVI, then the HDMI to my TV on my 6950 (flashed to 6970 bios). I've never had an issue with flickering, just one monitor turning itself off when the adaptor went doggy, I do get screen tearing on my DVI monitor if the frame rate starts to fluctuates allot.

I thought the flex version was actually release to allow you to connect more monitors at once, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Post subject: That was it! The screen
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 17:59 

That was it! The screen tearing issue. Could you tell me exactly what causes screen tearing and what can be done about it? Because I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Flex edition counters the screentearing problem.
It also has something to do with v-sync, doesn't it?

Moose

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 18:22 
Administrators
Administrators

The vast majority of users use an active DP to DVI adaptor without tomany issues these days, now that there is better compatability with adaptors.

Personally I use 2x passive DP>DVI adaptors and 1x active DP>DVI-dual-link adaptor as I am using a 5870E6 card which has only DP outputs.

Since day 1 when I got my kit I have never experienced tearing, I did have some screen flicker, but I found out that was due to the core and mem clocks changing back and forth when using Overdrive in CCC to overclock the card.

My resolution to the flickering when using OverDrive can be found here... http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/forums/multi-monitor-gaming/amd-eyefinity-discussions/15402/ati-overdrive-low-2d-clocks-causes

This may also work when not using Overdrive, but as I did not have a problem with it off, I have nothing to test with.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 18:41 
Founder
Founder

I wouldn't say that monitors with DP ports cost "tons of money". The Dell U2212HM is a 21.5" IPS panel with DP and it's $219. Granted the lower lines of monitors don't have DP, but for $219 you're also getting an IPS panel. The HP ZR2040w is $189. It's a 20" LED backed IPS monitor, and it has DP.

SINGLE link active adapters are only $30. You're probably thinking of the old Dual-Link active adapters that cost more than $100 and required USB power and were problematic. I'm going to be posting a review of a Flex HD 6770. I can tell you that I used the included DP>DVI and HDMI>DVI adapters, and it simply worked. I had some flickering on the bottom of the monitors if I had three plugged in and configured as extended desktops. Two didn't flicker, and enabling the Eyefinity config didn't flicker either.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 19:18 

Thanks a lot Delphium and Ibrin.

First of all, I already have three monitors. It are three IPS panels, with D-Sub (VGA), DVI-D, HDMI as video-input. I hope this means I can use single link active adapter.
IF the answer is yes, does that means I can use, for example an 7970, and connect the monitors as following: two monitors to the two DVI ports on the card, and the remaining monitor connected via a DP to HDMI/DVI single link active adapter?

IF, however, the answer is no, does that mean I have to buy expensive adapters or a Flex edition?

One final question: I absolutely want no flickering OR screentearing at all. Does the problem you encountered occurs to more people?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 19:42 
Administrators
Administrators

IF the answer is yes, does that means I can use, for example an 7970, and connect the monitors as following: two monitors to the two DVI ports on the card, and the remaining monitor connected via a DP to HDMI/DVI single link active adapter?

This is correct, single link adaptors are around the $30/£20 mark as ibrin stated.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 19:48 

So DVI-D is compatible with active single-link? Great to hear that!

I just need to know the answer to my last question :p

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 20:23 
Founder
Founder

As long as you have 1920x1200 panels or smaller, you are good. On any 6000-series or 7000-series card, the reference design on the DVI ports is the primary is DL-DVI (up to 2560x1600) and the secondary is SL-DVI (up to 1920x1200). You can plug DVI into both of those for 1920x1200, then use a SL-DVI active adapter on a mini-DP port for a 3rd 1920x1200.

If you want 3x2560x1600 or 3x2560x1440 that takes 2x DP + DL-DVI, or two DL adapters on the DP ports.

I've never had issues with tearing, so I can't say any technology offers a "solution". However, I ran the 6770 Flex through days of benchmarking and never saw any tearing. Nor have I had any on my 7970.

Post subject: What to choose
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 22:26 

I've got three 1920x1080 panels, so that'd be okay. Now it's up to me to choose:

-Buy an AMD 6950 Flex and just connect two monitors in the two DVI ports on the card and the remaining monitor on the HDMI port on the card.
This means: no hassle with adapters and not having to worry about two different digital signals (DVI andHDMI).

-Buy and AMD 6970 or 7970 and connect two monitors in the two DVI ports on the card and the remaining monitor via an SL-DVI active adapter on one of the DP ports on the card.
This means: extra costs for the adapter and videocard and worrying about tearing because I've got two different digital signals (DVI and DP).
However, going for an 6970 of 7970 gives me the option to play games on higher settings.

Can anyone help me decide what I should do (maybe based on experience) and give some arguments? Also, if you recommend option 2, then please add how I should overcome any problems regarding tearing due to FPS fluctuation:
I do get screen tearing on my DVI monitor if the frame rate starts to fluctuates a lot.

PS: Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but this is really important for me. It's a lot of money and I don't want to ruin it.