Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 22:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 21:02 
Editors
Editors

Try to ask People who own a Asus HD7970 DC to buy theyr Displayport --> DVI Adapter.

Find somehow out where Asus buy's their Displayport --> DVI adapter. I Bet they're not producing them! maybe the Producer sell's them under another name ?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 21:21 

The problem is that the card isn't released in the market yet. That's why there is so little info on the web. I guess I'll have to google some more about adapters

Post subject: What to do?
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 06:59 

Hi guys.
I have been reading this thread because I am about to buy and build a new PC using the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme MOBO and have been considering getting two ASUS HD7970 graphics cards for triple monitor gaming on 3 Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. However, the discussion about microstutter and tearing has made me reconsider doing this.

I had planned to get two ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 3-slot cards plus an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card; however, I do not believe it is possible to put all three cards onto the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme MOBO without creating overheating issues for one of the graphics cards, and causing one card to run at X.8. Is that true based on your experience? The ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 cards would be my preferred approach as I could connect the three Dell monitors to one of the graphics cards using 3 Displayport cables. :)

So I have been considering getting two of the smaller 2-slot ASUS HD7970-3GD5 graphics cards instead and installing them in slots 1 and 4 on the MOBO, and putting the sound card in slot 3 on the MOBO. I think this would work.

But after reading this thread, it appears that microstutter and tearing could occur because the connections for the monitor would use a mixed connection arrangement: 2 Displayport cables to 2 miniDisplayportsn the graphics card plus 1 DVI-D cable to 1 DVI-D port on the graphics card. Is this a correct understanding?

So perhaps one ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 3-slot card would be preferable. Any comments or advice?

NEW SYSTEM: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, Intel i7-3930K, ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Corsair AX1200 PSU, Western Digital 2TB HDD, OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD, 3X Dell U2410, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair H100 CPU cooler, Windows 7 Pro, Corsair Vengeance K90 keyboard, Logitech G9X mouse, 32 GB (8X4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws, ASUS DVD R/W & Blu-ray R/W, Thrustmaster T500RS Wheel & Pedals, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke & Instrument Panels, RailDriver

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 09:25 
Insiders
Insiders

So perhaps one ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 3-slot card would be preferable. Any comments or advice?

The microstuttering is far more severe than the tearing is. But yes I would go with one card and not two. If you want to completely het rid of tearing the CUII cards are the way to go. Personally I don't notice much tearing if it is not on my center monitor.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

Post subject: BirdOtt wrote:But after
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 11:08 

But after reading this thread, it appears that microstutter and tearing could occur because the connections for the monitor would use a mixed connection arrangement: 2 Displayport cables to 2 miniDisplayportsn the graphics card plus 1 DVI-D cable to 1 DVI-D port on the graphics card. Is this a correct understanding?

You haven't got it quite right sir. Microstuttering is a CrossfireX problem. The tearing on the other hand is caused by different outputs. You will need to connect your monitors displayport to displayport. All three of them.

So, with one card you'd have no microstuttering and when correctly set up, no tearing.

Moose

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 12:58 
Editors
Editors

@BirdOtt
You cant just use any Pci-E Slot of the Mainboard. 1 got 5 (or 4?^^) PCI-E 3.0 16x Slots on my Mainboard! Bit only slot 1 and 4 are capable of using 16x!

Post subject: Thanks for the comments
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 01:04 

Thanks for the advice Wijkert regarding the microstuttering (caused by Crossfire) being far more severe than the tearing (caused by using different connectors). I would rather get the CUII card because I could connect the 3 monitors using Displyport cables without any adapters.

Would using a single CUII card negatively affect the graphics quality in any significant way when using 3 monitors?

And thanks Moose for your comment regarding microstuttering being a CrossfireX problem and the tearing being caused by different outputs. Also for advising that with one card there would not be any microstuttering, and when correctly set up using Displayport to Displayport there would be no tearing.

So I think using a single 3-slot ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 graphics cards installed in slot 1 and an ASUS Xonar Essence STX in slot 4 on the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme MOBO would work best.

Or should I put the sound card in slot 5 or 6 on that MOBO?

One last question: In the pic of the CUII graphics card provided by Moose, it appears that there may be sufficient air space in the third slot area with the grating such that sufficient air could be used by the fans in the graphics card to cool its components, and that a sound card might be used in slot 3 of the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme MOBO, while allowing a second 3-slot ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 graphics card to be used in slot 4. Microstuttering would occur with this arrangement though, based on your comments. I wonder if this would work. I suppose someone will try crossfiring the 3-slot ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 graphics cards at some point when they become available.

NEW SYSTEM: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, Intel i7-3930K, ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Corsair AX1200 PSU, Western Digital 2TB HDD, OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD, 3X Dell U2410, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair H100 CPU cooler, Windows 7 Pro, Corsair Vengeance K90 keyboard, Logitech G9X mouse, 32 GB (8X4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws, ASUS DVD R/W & Blu-ray R/W, Thrustmaster T500RS Wheel & Pedals, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke & Instrument Panels, RailDriver

Post subject: Really good thread, been
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 04:18 

Really good thread, been keeping up with it, and time chime in.

I HAVE seen tearing on my screens. Currently run Sapphire ref 6970 DP/DVI/DP 3x1L ASUS VE248/VE278/VE248 monitors. These babies have DP connectivity so use two miniDP to DP cables for the "wings" and DVI for middle. Until Skyriom io never noticed tearing, but it can really be appearant with Skyrim, especially when looking at wooden walls.

I am too looking at the new ASUS CUII 7970 for the use of three DP screens for eyefinity. This should remove all tearing and give best quality.

However as of this evening it appears one of my DPs has died on my card. I have been for a few weeks getting link error messages in win7 but it didnt cause any grief. Now today I went to boot up and system booted with no video, but it did not fully post, it hung on AA post code which is a legacy error code. The CPU_LED on the board was solid red, bad sign CPU will not engage on post. ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3.

After much mucking around I realized the LED went out once i disconnected the DP cables. I plugged them back in, system posted fine but i get a flicking screen on one monitor(liek soem 4yr old was hammering the power button for fun). When I shut down LED lights up and system wont post as before. IF i switched cable connection the flicker followed the connection, switching with the different monitor connected. This means it isnt a cable or monitor issue. From this I am led to believe (led get it?) it is a failed DP on my card.

So for now im gonna go single screen, when i buy my new 7970 I will RMA the card then sell it.

kinda disappointing, but what does one do?

New 7970 will also come with new Cosmos II case, I have run out of space in my heavily modded Lian-Li PC8FIR.

These days you can find me:

Vanguard - Exmortis/Falcron/Treager/Goraag/Scrotal/Phailse - Telon Server

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3/Gskill 4x4 DDR3-1600cl7/i7-2600K/7970 Lightning/24x27x24 eyefinity/Corsair K90/Corsair AX850/Revo3 240/ocz Vertex 3 240/WD VelociRapter 600/Corsair 600T/Logitech 5450Z 5.1

The priest asked "Who are you?"

And the voice replied "Legion for we are many."

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 12:23 

Would using a single CUII card negatively affect the graphics quality in any significant way when using 3 monitors?

Well, the 7970 has 3 gigabyte of vram, which is enough to run Battlefield 3 on high with some AA and still get 30+ fps on average. So, I guess the tiny bit less performance would weigh out any trouble regarding a CrossfireX setup.

Also for advising that with one card there would not be any microstuttering, and when correctly set up using Displayport to Displayport there would be no tearing.

This thread covers microstuttering, so I would highly recommend looking around there. There is always the chance that you won't get microstuttering, but the odds are high. However, I believe they found a fix of some sort. I'm not yet fully informed about the stuttering problems, so you should check that thread out before you believe me ;)

Moose

Post subject: Moose][quote=BirdOtt
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 13:00 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]There is always the chance that you won't get microstuttering, but the odds are high. However, I believe they found a fix of some sort.

There isn't a change you get no microstuttering. It might be less depending on the rest of your hardware. There is a change you won't be bothered by it though. The fix isn't all that great. It reduces the microstuttering, but not to a point that I would consider running xfire/sli.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next