Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 01:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 14:53 
Insiders
Insiders

Has anybody tried this one? Or know where to buy it from?

http://www.bizlinktech.com/future_displayport.html

Scroll Down to: DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual Link Adapter Cable

I can't find it for sale online though anywhere.

- Jay

That one box mid-way down that page would probably work. "DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual Link Adapter Cable". That looks like it has an active transcoder in it.

We need to find one that specifically states that it transcodes/converts the DP signal actively to a whole different signal type (DVI or HDMI). Passively running DP signal through to DVI port isn't working because our DVI/HDMI displays don't know what to do with a DP signal in from the DVI/HDMI port. It wouldn't be an issue if the video card was designed to push DVI/HDMI signal through the video card DP port. Then these passive adapters would work. It's a design limitation of the video card right now.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 15:09 

[quote]Has anybody tried this one? Or know where to buy it from?

http://www.bizlinktech.com/future_displayport.html

Scroll Down to: DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual Link Adapter Cable

I can't find it for sale online though anywhere.

- Jay

That one box mid-way down that page would probably work. "DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual Link Adapter Cable". That looks like it has an active transcoder in it.

We need to find one that specifically states that it transcodes/converts the DP signal actively to a whole different signal type (DVI or HDMI). Passively running DP signal through to DVI port isn't working because our DVI/HDMI displays don't know what to do with a DP signal in from the DVI/HDMI port. It wouldn't be an issue if the video card was designed to push DVI/HDMI signal through the video card DP port. Then these passive adapters would work. It's a design limitation of the video card right now.

I've emailed Biz Link to find out how/where to get one of these. I will update the thread when i get some info. I don't have the an eyefinity yet, but I want find out what works.

- Jay

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 15:38 

It appears from the picture to be the same active adapter Dell sells just different branding.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5521
Not sure it will work for Eyefinity but it should be an active adapter.

And with the Dell coupons for electronics and accessories that are around can usually get it for $85.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 15:41 

That active box is the same one used at the Hornet Eyefinity event to display on 1080p HDMI panels, so we know that this particular model will work.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:02 

It appears from the picture to be the same active adapter Dell sells just different branding.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5521
Not sure it will work for Eyefinity but it should be an active adapter.

And with the Dell coupons for electronics and accessories that are around can usually get it for $85.

Yeah. Same here as well...

http://sewelldirect.com/Accell-UltraAV-DisplayPort-DVI-D-Dual-Link-Adapter-10.asp

Biztechs response time was less then one hour when I email them though.

100 bucks more.. wow

- jay

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Well, at least we know we have a $100 solution now. I suppose that beats spending $150... :roll:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:14 

I did some digging, and I think I have figured out the problem.

Now, we knew up front that we had to use the DisplayPort for a third monitor. ATi noted that was because the card only has two TMDS signalers.

Display port has an _optional_ component where you can put single-link DVI-D on a couple of pins that would allow a cheap, inline DisplayPort -> DVI-D adapter to work.

Well, we know that ATi only put two TMDS chips on the thing. You can't use both DVI and the HDMI because you'd need three.

Which means that they couldn't have implemented the optional part of the DisplayPort spec-- or, they can't have it active when using two other connections, because they're still short a TMDS signaler.

Which means that we'll need an active converter that has a TMDS chip built into it, and not a simple in-line one. I pulled the trigger on the Dell one this morning. They claim it'll show up on the 5th. I'll report back with my findings.

Hopefully future revisions of the card will be able to fit a third signaling device... This annoys me, as the big reason I liked this idea is I wasn't going to need some box converting signals around like a TH2G...

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:26 
Insiders
Insiders

Hopefully future revisions of the card will be able to fit a third signaling device... This annoys me, as the big reason I liked this idea is I wasn't going to need some box converting signals around like a TH2G...

Agreed, at this point we're just swapping one converter box for another. THe idea was to do away with converter boxes altogether. This is purely ATI passing the buck here. Just spend the $5 more per TMDS on the card and save us end users the $100 per port tax that you're imposing on us.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:35 

If nVidia are reading this their next card needs to have a proprietory connector going to a breakout box giving the choice of connecting between 6 DVI, 6 HDMI or 6 DP and package it with the card... They win again.

...or ATI need to come out with a cheap set of active converters very quickly.

My plan was to wait for the 6 DP output version and get three U2410's. That would still work fine since they are DP capable but I'd like to connect my existing 19" panels to the other three outputs. Even though they would only need single link DVI connections so should have been capable via standard DP - DVI converters if the DP outputs were compatible, it looks like my plans may be scuppered... :cry:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:46 
Editors
Editors

I'm looking at this picture again...

But it's not much help because it appears to cover the way the 'Six' card does things...

I've got a nasty feeling that the vanilla 5870 is running just four TMDS transmitters. (I saw four, because as far as I was aware, dual-link DVI needed twin TMDS chips?)

Right now, I'd be a little happier if someone could confirm that this does actually work with two monitors via DVI, and one via DisplayPort (without adaptors)...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 72  Next