Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 07:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 13:33 
Editors
Editors

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/ATI_Eyefinity_Technology_Brief.pdf

First off, I'd suggest reading the PDF above - it details (Page 24) how to set saved profiles and assign them to CCC Hotkeys so that you can more easily flick between extended desktop modes and Eyefinity Display Group modes.

Also note that "Hydravision" is compatible with Eyefinity. Hydravision is our own desktop management app that intigrates into CCC, but is a separate download.

Ok Dave I tried making some profiles and I read the whole .pdf file.

I tried to save the profiles as the default and also tried the "save all catalyst control center settings"

Here is how it worked:

I have a 4 monitor setup

These are the 3 profiles I tried to make

1.) 3x 24" across that I run as a SLS (eyefinity) 5760x1200
2.) 3x1920x1200 Extended Desktop with center monitor primary.
3.) Just my two center monitors enabled and the two side monitors disabled with the desktop extended.

#3 works perfectly so far every time. My two outside monitors go into sleep and my HDTV mounted above my monitors comes to life and my center monitor is my primary. Great for movies, just drag the movie up and full screen it. I suppose for games I would have to create another profile with the TV as primary so the game launches on the TV.

#2 works BUT only after activating it 2x in a row. First time I can move from my center primary monitor to the right but not to the left monitor. After activating it a 2nd time it works fine. This maybe because I have rocket dock that sits hidden on the 2nd monitor.

#1 does not work at all, no matter what I try all it does is turn on all 3 of my monitors into clone mode and I have to manually go into the ATI control panel and make it an Eyefinity SLS screen.

So with this I can confirm that eyefinity modes are not properly saving or activating via profiles.

However other than that the profiles are working great for me being able to use my 4th monitor on the fly when I need it.

Also it seems to be lucky or just remembering the monitor order in both manually making the eyefinity group and when I activate #2 the monitors have always been in the right order so far.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 13:33 
Editors
Editors

From what Dave Baumann said, I think it's easier than that - a hotkey (once set up) will allow changing from SLS to other modes?

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 13:54 
Editors
Editors

From what Dave Baumann said, I think it's easier than that - a hotkey (once set up) will allow changing from SLS to other modes?

I do not think so, but I cant say thats impossible.

You can set hotkeys for pofiles but there doesnt seem to be any hotkeys associated with SLS mode.

Plus depending on what your setup currently is there is configuring to do for SLS, you have to OK disbanding your current mode/extension and then say OK to the new setup, and then change monitor order if needed.

To bypass all this is the profiles that already have you do all that and save it to the profile. With just a toggle key it wouldnt know what to do.

Edit: took a peek at the hotkeys manager.

You can do a lot of stuff in there but its all related to standard clone/extend modes and display options like flip/color/brightness there is no eyefinity or sls type option to bind.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 14:04 
Editors
Editors

OK, I misunderstood what he was saying, then. :(

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 14:26 
Editors
Editors

http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/

This just seems like an alternative to UltraMon...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 14:59 
Editors
Editors

http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/

This just seems like an alternative to UltraMon...

I may check that out, but I have a strong feeling its for standard stand alone extended type situations. eyefinity just like the TH2GO is not actually multi monitor its one big one :D

That said I wonder if you can use the matrox software to do some stuff.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 15:14 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, I had that feeling too, Vicious. Annoyed me a bit - I spend an hour or so this afternoon (bored of thesis staring) looking for any fixes. :(

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 16:12 

It would be nice to assign all that stuff to the center screen. The only setup that really does that though is a SoftTH + UltraMon configuration.
I use a TripleHead2Go plus an inexpensive secondary video card to drive three single monitors on the Windows desktop. The side monitors are dual-input and I switch the inputs over when moving between the desktop (discreet outputs) and gaming (TripleHead2Go output). This is admittedly a more complicated way to achieve the same thing that SoftTH will get you, but I retain the performance that SoftTH might take away and it is very simple once all of the cables are hooked up.

The ATI profile switching sounds promising, but it sounds like it's not the most straightforward thing yet.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:38 

Eyefinity 3x1 SLS mode doesn't seem to save to profile for me. I'm on the latest Cat RC. I have an Eyefinity profile saved just as described in the PDF and whenever I activate that profile, it just goes to 3 duplicate displays instead. Tried making another profile and got the same result.

And about having the start button & the task icons in the center monitor, I just use regular windows extended desktop to get that.

same thing with me. I though it was just me. I use Win 7 RC1 the free noe that MS was offering for a 3 month trial a month ago

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:53 

took me a little while to sort through that problem also.

what worked for me after settings up a normal 3 monitor extended desktop, and a 3-screen SLS setup, and getting my hotleys set up for both was:

- hot key into SLS profile (i got 3 cloned screens, but it said that the SLS was profile was active)
- select disable group.
- confirmation prompt (blah blah once selected cannot revert)
- select enable group.
- confirmation prompt (same thing again)
- done & working

hot keyed back and forth between 3 separate screen & 1 SLS screen multiple times, and all my desktop icons were in their appropriate spots for each of profiles.

seems like disabling & re-enabling (while in the SLS mode) was the key to getting past that cloned problem.

-ray

PS: Win7 x64bit, sapphire 5870 with most recent drivers from ati site.
3x(25.5" 1920x1200 asus dvi monitors /w 1 biztech/dell adapter)