Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 19:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 20:54 

I'm sure that there are many others of you that have been watching the eyefinity setups with great interest and planning on getting your own. Once I discovered that the 5800's were selling out fast and also found that Apple's displayport adapters could be used in conjucntion with mini-dp to dp, I did a frantic search online and found 2 retailers that claimed stock.

Future Shop.ca had 3 Dimaond 5870's left at around $550 and 1 company that I found on shopbot.ca (extreme-pc.ca) had stock on the Saphire 5870 for just under $450.00.

The site looked decent enough and although I knew that there was almost no stock to be found, they were clearly claiming stock on the Saphire so I ordered one.

I was kind of nervous about it because nobody has stock and nobody seems to ahve ETA, but I figured that maybe they just weren't well-known.

I ordered on Nov 12 2009 and they estimated shipping at Nov 16 2009 and delivery on Nov 19 2009.

I also went ahead and ordered a mini-dp to hdmi converter and mini-dp to dp adapter and a 3rd Samsung 2693hm. (all from different vendors)

I looked at the Extreme-pc Order Status Page today and there was no sign that the order had gotten any further than processing. (Nov 17 2009)

So I sent an e-mail and I called. I got some guy on what sounded like a cell phone and when I tole him I had ordered a video card. (Not even which model or series I had ordered), he told me to look at the forum.

I pulled up the forum while he was on the phone and clarified which entry (the first one). And started to portest that the first entry was in French. About that time he hung up. I then proceeded to look through the forum and there are 5 pages of people wondering where their cards are and why they didn't ship when they said they would.

The company claims that technically they do have stock, but priority is given to full system sales.

As you can imagine, customers are not happy about this.

The company resorts to saying that they are the only one that has stock and that they are bringing in more cards "soon" and that anybody that is "whining" are "big babies".

There are 1 or 2 "users" that are defending the company as having "the best" "customer service".

It is really unbelievable.

If you go to http://www.extreme-pc.ca and do a search for 5870. They still show them as being in stock.

This thread is the discussion on people wondering where there cards are and some text-book examples on how not to treat customers.

http://www.extreme-pc.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5559&sid=59995a1abb2dededb81cda732af2c964

Anyways, I'm not sure where I stand or what I'm going to do, but I am appalled that they seem to continue to pull in orders because they are the only ones claiming to have stock when in fact nobody else is willing to make that claim and I thought I might save some others in here some grief.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 21:24 
Insiders
Insiders

Why in the world would you pick some random etailer without checking their reputation?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 22:21 

Why in the world would you pick some random etailer without checking their reputation?

Point paritally taken. I found them via shopbot.ca which generally seems to list reputable sellers. Until this time, I've never done exaustive searches on sellers credibility. I wouldn't buy something off of an e-bay seller that doesn't have significant feedback, but... I may have been blinded by desperation.

Normally I only go to newegg / NCIX / TigerDirect / Memory Express.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 22:30 

I got a few parts from them around 4 years ago, did not have any problems but it seems that they have gotten shady since.

Avoid like the plague, stick to newegg.ca and NCIX.ca, just be patient and wait until they have them in stock again.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 22:39 

Words cannot describe what I feel for the company right now.

Thank you! Company noted, will not buy from any untrusted retailers again, no nerves are worth the pennies you save.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 02:38 

if you can just cancel your order
wisest move at this point imho. someone apparently got two, 3 weeks and a month later .... that's not "in stock" !!!!

I didn't know there were still stores out there that don't have dynamic stock updates...

in any case I guess you will now know that one should always be wary of unknown stores... always a gamble.

EDIT: if you need any french=>english translation better than google of a particular post...

EDIT2: the very least they should do is apologize about the "in stock" error
instead of insulting their own customers ...

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 03:24 
Administrators
Administrators

Thanks for taking the time to warn others, may save someone the heartache.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 05:30 

stick to newegg.ca and NCIX.ca

I've had great luck with NCIX. Stock values are consistently accurate, never any fuss, express shipping whenever I want to pay for it. Good shop.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 05:08 

Just an small deal alert for those that use NCIX, directcanada is owned by the same company as NCIX and they share warehouses. direct canada support is handled via hardware canucks forums and one guy doing all the emails and phone stuff.

directcanada has great deals compared to ncix and if you can deal with email only support then I recommend them.

Also directcanada website is hard to navigate and specs can be incorrect.

You can also pricematch directcanada to ncix but they coordinate to avoid that.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 05:57 

I've noticed more than that:

ncix.com
nxsource.com
tddirect.ca (previously bestdirect.ca)
directcanada.com

all seem to be the one and the same.

I've ordered mostly from ncix and a couple times directly from directcanada.

Since ncix has an easy pricematch system I usually just compare everywhere and order from them

Just note that if any price matches aren't accepted they call and don't give you much in options except cancel order, which might be annoying if at the time you ordered there was a limited time deal/shipping offer/etc.

I've never had any problem pricematching to any of them. Guess they don't watch that well, but then, you're paying them so ... I did notice many times an item I recently pricematched at ncix get a price drop that matches the one I used though.