Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 09:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 07:54 

TexasTango good job on this discovery, as what Bhawthorne said - this is a huge plus for mainstream users, if only i knew this adapter would work, i wouldnt of spent $130 for my bizlink adapter, again this is great news and im sure majority of us probably wont use more than 1920x1200 each display.[/list]

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 17:43 

GREAT news, now to see if they have them in the UK :o Anyone finds one let me know plz!

Will this do: http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cables/Display-Port-male-to-VGA-female-adapter.html

how does this work if it's not powered by usb?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 20:21 

Will this do: http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cables/Display-Port-male-to-VGA-female-adapter.html

how does this work if it's not powered by usb?

It has to be getting it's power through the DP connection.

The reason it works, I think but don't quote me, is because by having to convert the digital output to analog VGA input, there is an "active" process taking place, not just a "passive" pass-through of digital to digital.

All I know is that it works!!

So, even though I can't say for sure that the one you found will work, it seems to me that ANY displayport to analog VGA adapter will have this "active" process taking place.

Good luck!!

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 00:05 
Insiders
Insiders

awesome, i might actually go save up for a new card now.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 22:17 

I tried the dp to vga from apple, it doesnt seem to support 1920x1200,when i make a group it forces all three monitors to do 1600x1200???

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 22:53 

thank you for making this discovery, once again this forum and its great members are eons ahead of everyone else in the world in regards to WSG

my question is, I just want to confirm that

3 x (22" 1680x1050) will work, the third monitor can go through vga to display correct?

also, just want to make triple sure that this adapter would work

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?l=en&c=ca&cs=cadhs1&sku=330-4091&dgc=SS&cid=38279&lid=1183571

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 23:29 

thank you for making this discovery, once again this forum and its great members are eons ahead of everyone else in the world in regards to WSG

my question is, I just want to confirm that

3 x (22" 1680x1050) will work, the third monitor can go through vga to display correct?

also, just want to make triple sure that this adapter would work

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?l=en&c=ca&cs=cadhs1&sku=330-4091&dgc=SS&cid=38279&lid=1183571

I can only confirm that it works with my setup:
19" DVI from 5850 graphics card DVI
19" DVI from graphics card DVI
22" VGA from graphics card displayport with VGA adapter

Two things about your choice of an adapter from HELL (I mean Dell):
1- The picture is showing the wrong item - that's a passive DVI adapter
2- Usually ships in 1-2 weeks ????? Screw that!

Just get it from here (http://www.directron.com/apdpvga.html) and you'll have it in 3 days!

I wouldn't recommend using Dell for anything. Their shipping nightmare stories are all over the internet.
Just ask yourself why would a simple thing like a $20 adapter take 2 WEEKS before they can even ship it???
Because they don't have it in stock but aren't telling you is my guess.

I buy lots of stuff on the internet - it ALL ships same day or next day.
Stay away from Dell.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 23:45 

This spec on this product....

DisplayPort v1.1 Compliant
Enable high quality optional digital audio transmissions
embedded clock architecture to reduce EMI susceptibility
Support greater than QXGA (2048x1536) resolution at 24-bit color depths
Support existing VESA and CEA standards
Support hot plug and unplug detection as well as link status-failure detection
Support reduced bandwidth transmission via direct drive over a 15M cable
Supports a minimum of 1080P resolution at 24bpp, 50/60Hz at 15 M
Support conversion from DisplayPort signal to VGA signal
Support DisplayPort connector 20pins
Support 8-bit & 10-bit deep color
Support the video bandwidth up to 10.8Gbps
Support the 1Mbps' bidirectional auxiliary channel
Support the 1 lane, 1 direction, 4 lines connection

That is probably why it works, there DP-DVI also has this feature.. someone should try it, im in the UK and if someone can find where i can get it, ill buy it...

ta

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 23:56 

That is probably why it works, there DP-DVI also has this feature.. someone should try it, im in the UK and if someone can find where i can get it, ill buy it... ta

Well, I bought and tried the DP-DVI adapter first - didn't work.

"Actively" converting from digital to analog for VGA is the key. And it's powered through the displayport

The DP-DVI is just "passively" transferring digital to digital. Must not need power to do this.
Someone with more knowledge will have to tell us what the USB power cord is actually powering on the DVI adapter that does work.

Just my take ....

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2009, 00:01 

I just spent half an hour on the phone getting transferred to every department at Dell :roll: . I figured out that the picture is wrong and that dell actually has the correct adapter, and not the one in the picture.

I think I will wait and see how this turns out before I make a purchase

I actually ordered 3 dell monitors a week ago, and got them 5 days later, so I am pretty happy. I also live in Canada, and I would happily buy the same connector that you bought, but the calculated shipping on that website is $40 for me :shock: . So I will maybe wait for an alternative.

----

Edit 1: Some one should try to connect their dvi to a vga, then back to dvi, and from dvi to dp, maybe that would work, since the signal would be converted?

Edit 2: I think this one should work http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41414&vpn=DP2VGA&manufacture=Startech.com%20Ltd I mean it even says

This DisplayPort to VGA adapter lets you connect a VGA computer monitor to a DisplayPort video card or other DisplayPort source, eliminating the expense of upgrading the monitor for compatibility.

Please Note: This product may be incompatible with some HDTVs. DP2VGA has known issues with LCD HDTV's, Plasma HDTV's, and older projectors. DP2VGA is intended for use with computer monitors. To use DisplayPort with LCD or Plasma HDTVs please use StarTech.com's DisplayPort to HDMI Video Adapter Converter(DP2HDMI) or see related products for other suggestions.

Certifications, Reports and Compatibility

View Certification

The StarTech.com Advantage

Easily make your new DisplayPort PC compatible with your existing displays with StarTech.com's line of DisplayPort converters.

• Keep your existing VGA monitor to be used with your new DisplayPort PC.
• Ideal for using your VGA monitor as a secondary display.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next