Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 10:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 00:33 

I went to a computer store in Canada and I was told by a knowledgeable owner that knows about eyefinity and the display port problems. He told me that the display port adapters that ATI is making specifically for their graphic cards will be coming in within 2 weeks to stores. He told me like $10-$20-$30 I was going to buy the monoprice adapter, but I think I will wait. He has me on speeddial, so if it comes in ill buy it right away, and I already have my 3 monitors and 5870, so ill just plug that bad boy in, and tell you guys how it goes right away :rockout

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 01:03 

I went to a computer store in Canada and I was told by a knowledgeable owner that knows about eyefinity and the display port problems. He told me that the display port adapters that ATI is making specifically for their graphic cards will be coming in within 2 weeks to stores. He told me like $10-$20-$30 I was going to buy the monoprice adapter, but I think I will wait. He has me on speeddial, so if it comes in ill buy it right away, and I already have my 3 monitors and 5870, so ill just plug that bad boy in, and tell you guys how it goes right away :rockout

Hmm, interesting. Hope this is true.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 01:23 

Got another source for this info?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 05:54 
Insiders
Insiders

If its true, it's pretty douchy of ATI to release them after so much time. I guess better late than never, if it's a reasonable price.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 01:09 

If its true, it's pretty douchy of ATI to release them after so much time. I guess better late than never, if it's a reasonable price.

Yea I think they should send them out to everyone who has a 5 series card registered. Because this is a known issue. And it took them this long to figure out that not everyone has a Native Display and would be using these adapters. I am curious if this is true what is going to be different and how they will be able to sell them so much cheaper then other companies. Just shows that the adapters we are currently using are way over priced. Or hopefully I can return my one from dell but I doubt that is going to happen since it is close to a month old.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 23:12 

I have also noticed that suppliers also overprice, so the store might get something at cost for $50, and they will sell it for $55; whereas another store will get them for $45, and that store will sell it for $49. This is why at least some stores keep high prices. Stores that sell based on brand and atmosphere and customer service (usually pretty stupid customer service) *cough*apple*cough* overprice like mad. Ever tried going into an expensive clothes store, I happen to know some people that work in these, markup is >50% its messed.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 02:36 

I have also noticed that suppliers also overprice, so the store might get something at cost for $50, and they will sell it for $55; whereas another store will get them for $45, and that store will sell it for $49.This is why at least some stores keep high prices. Stores that sell based on brand and atmosphere and customer service (usually pretty stupid customer service) *cough*apple*cough* overprice like mad. Ever tried going into an expensive clothes store, I happen to know some people that work in these, markup is >50% its messed.

This is called bulk buying, in other words, the more one store buys from a supplier the better discount they get. It's to encourage bulk buys as from a supplier point of view, you want to move stock in volume, not little bits and pieces here and there which is time consuming for little return.

I don't understand what is wrong with this? Bulk buying often results in lower prices for consumers.

But I'm with you on the mark up some up market retailers provide. Despite buying in bulk, they still jack up the prices simply because they can. And the masses lap it up because it's a "big name" they can trust.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 05:48 
Insiders
Insiders

I would be willing to bet we know a bit more than some random owner of a computer store in Canada. :wink:

Not that I doubt the guy, but there is not enough information or credibility with a computer store salesman to trust them about as far as I could throw them.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 06:32 

I just checked there today, he said it will be 2 more weeks until he gets them. He has "ordered" them. Looks like I will have to wait it out.

You can make any assumption you want about this thread under the condition that you understand that I have very good faith that what I have stated is no joke. Too bad it didn't come this week. This person knows what he is talking about, he has actually read deep into these forums.

If anyone hears anything from any store, please post it in this thread so there are more confirmations about the ATI adapter. Thanks.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 13:31 
Editors
Editors

Eh, well, when they happen, they happen. Shipping delays occur all the time.