Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 01:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2010, 22:20 
Editors
Editors

Well, it is specificed in that Display Configurations document.

Problem is that people don't know what to buy and even which active adapter that works.

Let me illustrate:
Here is from today where the "validated dongle" list is believed to be a list of approved dongles for third monitor:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=29443331

Check the post from Gamer guy here who do the same on a sales site:
http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=100&threadid=2132199&pagenumber=1&msgcount=8&subpage=1&product_id=47519

or this guy not knowing what to get and already bought a passive one that didn't work:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034970729&postcount=14

Making it clear on that page which one that works or at least write a footnote on the passive ones that "for configuration of 3 displays or more, an active adapter or analog adapter is required", would make users less confused. :)

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2010, 23:48 

Making it clear on that page which one that works or at least write a footnote on the passive ones that "for configuration of 3 displays or more, an active adapter or analog adapter is required", would make users less confused.

That would be awesome. ATI are fooling themselves if they are thinking that they are making the info clear, concise and available. If ATI could create a nicer compatibility matrix that includes the configuration, it would make things easier for new customers. They only have to do a quick search to find that even the most tech savy of their customers (the early adopters) are finding it confusing.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 00:40 

Go to www.amd.com/eyefinity and the one of the links is "Learn how to configure your monitors, which then points to (among other things) Display Connectivity "How to connect displays to an ATI Eyefinity capable graphics card".

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 01:03 
Editors
Editors

Where they will find this map explaining the different ways to configure Eyefinity. :)

I want to thank you for paying attention to this thread Dave. :)
Problem isn't that AMD have places where this information can be found, but people are shopping even so.

When AMD have a page saying "AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongle", people go there, since they have heard that there is issues with some dongles and also want lower prices for their dongles.

Eyefinity isn't "being able to connect a screen to a 5000 series GFX card from ATI" for people. People have been connecting to their screens long before Eyefinity. If ATI says that those adapters are AMD Eyefinity validated, we think 3 screens or more. I have been paying attention to Eyefinity since the beginning and find it to be one of the big things in gaming today. (A bit OT, but I am still waiting for the Samsung Eyefinity screens). Still, even I had to think twice after seeing a page with Eyefinity Validated adapters. When I have connected my screen to my 5870 card, I don't consider it to be Eyefinity and wouldn't consider it to be Eyefinity even if I used the DP to connect it.

I wouldn't even use the expression "Eyefinity Validated Adapter" for adapters that you cannot connect a 3rd screen with in a multi-monitor setup.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 01:09 

When AMD have a page saying "AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongle", people go there, since they have heard that there is issues with some dongles and also want lower prices for their dongles.

Unless they were linked directly to it from a forum thread or something, then you'd have gone through the Eyefinity site, where the links to display configurations, etc., are displayed.

I wouldn't even use the expression "Eyefinity Validated Adapter" for adapters that you cannot connect a 3rd screen with in a multi-monitor setup.

What happens if / when a partner start selling DP boards with no or one passive adapter? We have to cater for that case.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 01:25 
Editors
Editors

Unless they were linked directly to it from a forum thread or something, then you'd have gone through the Eyefinity site, where the links to display configurations, etc., are displayed.

People link directly to it in forums. and people believe that this is adapters that AMD have tested and approved for Eyefinity (3 screens or more version). Thats the big problem. It confuses people. Even here at WSGF where you can find multiple places with the correct info, people still makes threads about the adapters.

What happens if / when a partner start selling DP boards with no or one passive adapter? We have to cater for that case.

Then please cater for the 5000 series and up cards, not Eyefinity. When you start mixing Eyefinity validated into this, along with marketing of games that are Eyefinity certified, people don't think single screen gaming and they don't think single screen DP to HDMI or DVI. If you need to use Eyefinity in your marketing of these adapters, it would be best if you have a footnote which ones that can or cannot be used when 2 displays are already connected. People get confused and I think its better to avoid this. Just look at the OP in this thread. :) :

Now, to the point - I was reading last night that ATI is trying to get a validated, passive single-link Dp to DVI unit onto their list of certified adapters. I see an Accell model listed on that page:

Thats how people see it in a lot of forums. A list of certified adapters for Eyefinity and I have yet to see a single person who only wants to connect one screen or two with an adapter. All of them wants to connect the third screen, which isn't possible with a passive dp->DVI "AMD Eyefinity Certified" dongle.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 01:43 

Dave, I also thank you for your replies and monitoring of this thread. Also, congrats on the hockey win today.

I think there are a couple of things here that we can all agree on:

- The information is not as clear as it could be
- We all want the information to be as clear as possible
- Beer

So, in the spirit of compromise, customer satisfaction, support and beer, can we please get a footnote on the approved adapter page (http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx) which states something to the effect of "For configurations of three monitors or more, please visit Display Connectivity "How to connect displays to an ATI Eyefinity capable graphics card" for additional important dongle information."

Sound reasonable?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 01:47 

An email, more or less to that effect, to the people that handle those pages was fired off several hours ago!

:P

Mmmmm..... beeeeer....

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 01:55 
Editors
Editors

LOL! :bowdown :cheers

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 02:03 

Gracias Amigo! :)

Also, very worth while to point out to the masses reading this, that the chances of getting this type and level of participation from 'other' manufactures, display card or any other type, on a sunday no less is well...not likely.

While I don't appoligize for a bit of a harsh tone in my original post, I do understand fully and appreciate the above fact and it is not lost on me. It is not easy to get manufacture respresentation / participation on public boards and your willingness to wade through the sometimes seemingly endless 'bickering'. Your ability to wear the target at times, yet remain cool, calm and informative is applauded.

Thanks again Dave and have a great night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next