Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 01:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 03:52 

[quote]That's good that they did the update. However the details are not entirely complete. More and more people are having success with the passive DP->VGA adapters, especially the HP (made by Bizlink) ones.

There are no "passive" DP->VGA adapters, by definition. Unlike DVI, DP doesn't actually pass a VGA signal through.

DP outputs can actually pass some power through them so "active" adapters can be powered directly powered from the DP output, the dual-link active adapters require more power than DP can supply so they supliment the power from USB.

OK this makes sense now. I guess the consumer (incl members of this forum) assumes passive to be any dongle that is not supplied with an external power source, but in reality this assumption is false due to DP having some level of power available. I guess its cos a "passive" DVI adapter looks the same as an "active" vga adapter.

Thanks for clearing that up Dave.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 10:57 

[quote]That's good that they did the update. However the details are not entirely complete. More and more people are having success with the passive DP->VGA adapters, especially the HP (made by Bizlink) ones.

There are no "passive" DP->VGA adapters, by definition. Unlike DVI, DP doesn't actually pass a VGA signal through.

DP outputs can actually pass some power through them so "active" adapters can be powered directly powered from the DP output, the dual-link active adapters require more power than DP can supply so they supliment the power from USB.

So whats the Conclusion? Can u run a 3 monitor set up with 2 DVI and one Displayport to VGA connection?

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 23:15 

So whats the Conclusion? Can u run a 3 monitor set up with 2 DVI and one Displayport to VGA connection?

Yes. I am doing this now with the HP DP-VGA adapter. Here is a pic of my setup

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 07:32 

2 DVI's and one Displayport to VGA works for awhile. However, after the card heats up i notice the third monitor turns off. When I reset the connection the screen works for awhile bfore the same thing happens again.

Someone on thread suggested hooking up to highest resolution monitor, which I did...however to no avail...the screen still switches off intermittently.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 02:48 

AMD have updated the page now to clarify this: :cheers

Connectivity Requirements: ATI Eyefinity technology is supported by graphics cards in the ATI Radeon™ HD 5400 series and higher. These cards can support up to six monitors (depending on the model), subject to the following restrictions:
• A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.
• To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used).
• Approved “active” adapters have no general connectivity restrictions with ATI Eyefinity technology.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Good stuff. Thanks again to Dave for his support!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 06:15 

Just completed my triple monitor Eyefinity setup today using this dongle that came in today:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=215179262&loc=101&#top

Got it for $16 w/ free shipping. Best deal for this type of dongle. It is an active dp-vga dongle made by Sunvalleytek, and is similar to the other types of dongles that work. Haven't had any issues or flickering with it. Highly recommend it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6