Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 20:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 22:49 

Hallo. First of sorry for bad english.

Well here is my question. Im sitting here with my new rig, that has a hd 5970 card in it. I really want to try out eyefinity.
I know the simple solution would be to get one of the rather expensive active minidisplayport to dvi adapters, but they are just to expensive and not on the market in my country "Denmark"

I have read that i can use a minidisplayport to vga adpater, and still get the eyefinity feature.

With the card was an minidisplayport to displayport adapter. Can i from this cable/adpater plug in a displayport to vga adpater and still get a picture?
The reason for this is that this is the only adpater i can find here i can use. So can two dfferent adapters, cnnected to eachother work?

Hope it makes sense :?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 18:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes, you should be fine.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 19:44 

Using cables together like that should be fine, The cables nearly translate the signal to something that can be read off another male or female plug. This will work for desktop eyefinity setups. to my knowledge, you will need an Active adapter to use it for gaming.

Apply has some nice MiniDisplayport adapters.http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTA4NDU0NjA

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 22:58 

Could that apple one be the one i am looking for??

An active adpater should only be neccecery when using 3-digital signals. When one of the signals is analog "vga" u should be fine. Im just big time confused wih all these cables :)

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 00:49 

A Displayport to VGA does not need to be active because of it's lower resolution. You are correct sir, an analog signal does not need to be activly powered by usb :-)

I think the max resolution you will get with the VGA adapter is 1920 x 1200, I could be wrong. The guys over at Hardforum.com got it going with a VGA adapter. I may switch over to one myself :-)

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1472222&page=1

Hope this helped you.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 14:38 

Will a native displayport screen like the dell p23h10 be the solution for flickering and on/off screen problems?

I have read so mouch about this subject now, that i am more than confused.

Some say that bying a native display port screen fixed all problems, but have also read some that still has the same problems?