Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 19:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 20:37 

Hi,
it might be the ATI drivers causing the problems with the DP and not the adaptors folks. I've been trying to get my DP-VGA adaptor working for a week with no success. I thought I'd try the bios flash and had a short period of success with W7 until I tried eyefinity where it went pear shaped. Fed up with the toe-curling nightmare that has been my W7/eyefinity experience so far, I booted back into XP to play a game with good old softth. Unlike W7 which automatically recognised the flashed card, XP didn't and went to the standard VGA drivers and, guess what, it worked like a charm. I was even getting 1600x1200@85hz which was rock solid without a single issue.

Emboldened with success I uninstalled the ati drivers and loaded up the 9.12 hotfix and, you guessed it, my screen was back to a gibbering blinking mess. If anyone else is having problems, can you try uninstalling your ATI drivers, rebooting with the DP monitor plugged in and seeing if you get any success?

We may have found the culprit. ;o)

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 22:01 

My first thought was that it may be the drivers as well. I have tried 9.11 ccc, 9.12 ccc / + hotfix and beta MSI 10.1 ccc. Also I tried several different versions of only the display drivers from my manufactures website. None of the drivers gave me any change in how the DP reacted. so I'm sticking with 9.12.

I did stumble across http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/display-flashing-when-connected-to-displayport.aspx. This leads me to believe that ATI is well aware of the problem, and may be a compatibility issue with supplying the proper amount of power to the DP line on the card itself. This can be fixed threw firmware.

To my knowledge most of the 5870 cards run on bios ID version's are 113-C00101-x01 and 113-C00101-101(ati released on 9/14/09). Where sapphire has released a new bios that "fixes" the DP blinking issue and it's ID is 113-C00101-103 (ATI released this bios on 11/12/09). I think it may just be a waiting game to see if the manufactures release the bios on their site. When It comes down to specifics about bios changes, ou may have a good question for Dave. :-D

From what I have read, there are people who have no issues, some have replaced their DP adapter with success and others just have bad luck all around.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 00:50 

Already flashed the bios, mate, and no go with ATI drivers but works a treat with standard VGA ones (when ATI's aren't installed). This makes me scratch my head and wonder if the adaptors aren't at fault but ATI's drivers.

I was suggesting that anyone else experiencing problems with DP adaptors may want to try uninstalling ATI drivers and seeing if they can get a non-blinking stable picture using bog standard generic VGA windows ones. No good for gaming (or much else really) but at least we can know where to lay the blame and get them to sort it out quicker.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 01:53 

i'll gladly uninstall my drivers and test it out... i'll get at it right away. :-D

-Tanshin

Edit: Completely uninstalled Device drivers, card instead of showing up as a 5800 series shows up as an EAH5870.. DP adapter is still not working. I will now try to flash the bios with ati's 103 bios.

7:30pm CST Update: Flashed bios on card, white/multicolor small lines still flashing across my screen, DP screen shut off, I now have it plugged into a USB hub and it's staying lit w/ lines moving across screen.

8:05pm CST Update: The signal last a lot longer to my displayport now that i have updated the bios, but it is still plagued by shut offs and colored lines. Unfortunately, now that it's been flashed to the latest bios, i can no longer use the ASUS Smart Doctor tool.

Here is a video I just uploaded of the problem still continuing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRVV2w1Ib2o

8:53pm CST Update: Games are no longer stable and crash 15 minutes into gameplay. Reverting back to original bios.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 17:33 

its the card bios, update

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240336

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 20:09 

Only the updated BIOS fixed it for me. Drivers from 9.11 to 10.3 didnt help. New BIOS also fixed 2d flickering bug for me.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 22:13 

any better bios ?

this bios helped one of my card work with dp, but now on both cards i need to plug out and then in the dp adapter in order to make it work.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 22:14 

its the card bios, update

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240336

Any BIOS updates for my 5970 available then?

Some reading for you guys:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=19175

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=19299

A lot of threads are covering the same thing it seems.... :searchplease