Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 05:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Using four monitors?
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 16:17 

The above is correct based on my understanding as well.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:17 
Editors
Editors

I thought that the legacy clock generators were for analog signals?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 03:03 

I thought that the legacy clock generators were for analog signals?

ChainSOV is right

the whole story is that, DVI & HDMI both need a separate clock source, 2 clock generators makes 2 separate sources & so only 2 DVI/HDMI panels
whereas DP can use a shared clock source

edit: dug back the post for you ;)
While there are Six TMDS/DP transmitters, there are only 2 clock sources on the ASIC. The issue with legacy display is that they all need their own clock generator - as soon as you plug in two DVI/VGA/HDMI you run out of clock sources. DP can time multiple outputs from a single clock generator.

What we do with these boards is add an additional clock source externally from the ASIC that is good for driving DP timing, but unfotunatly not others (the clock source is actually shared for another use, so we can't just arbitarily have any timing).

If you plug in a passive adapter to the DVI+DVI+HDMI+DP design then you it will use an internal clock source, up until you start plugging in other panels.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/11099t=450

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 11:30 
Editors
Editors

Thanks. :D

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 05:53 

I must be missing something then! I was looking at the Ati tech brief on eyefinity and on page 5 it lists the usage scenarios. Listed is 3x1 portrait, 3x1 landscape, 3x2 landscape display for 6 monitor gaming. Then it lists a 3x1 display group plus 1 extended. What would this be? I understand I will need the six port card with proper display port monitors or active adaptors. I just would want to game on 3 monitors with eyefinity but also have my teamspeak channels and hamachi stuff etc on the 4 extended monitor. doesn't 3x1 display group plus one extended mean exactly what I am trying to do?? Here is the link if you have not seen it. Thanks.
http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/ATI_Eyefinity_Technology_Brief.pdf

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 06:00 
Insiders
Insiders

I must be missing something then! I was looking at the Ati tech brief on eyefinity and on page 5 it lists the usage scenarios. Listed is 3x1 portrait, 3x1 landscape, 3x2 landscape display for 6 monitor gaming. Then it lists a 3x1 display group plus 1 extended. What would this be? I understand I will need the six port card with proper display port monitors or active adaptors. I just would want to game on 3 monitors with eyefinity but also have my teamspeak channels and hamachi stuff etc on the 4 extended monitor. doesn't 3x1 display group plus one extended mean exactly what I am trying to do?? Here is the link if you have not seen it. Thanks.

Part of the problem is that people are mixing examples in this thread between the standard 3 port card and the unreleased 6 port card. 3x1 SLS +1 extra will work just fne on the 6 port card. To run any more than 3 displays on the desktop at once you'll need the 6 port card (or a second video card).

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 15:32 

Also, I think it is only the "group" that requires monitors to have the same resolution and orientation. The "extended" monitors can differ. I'm just speculating, however, but this makes sense based on ATI's suggested usage scenarios.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 00:04 

[quote]I must be missing something then! I was looking at the Ati tech brief on eyefinity and on page 5 it lists the usage scenarios. Listed is 3x1 portrait, 3x1 landscape, 3x2 landscape display for 6 monitor gaming. Then it lists a 3x1 display group plus 1 extended. What would this be? I understand I will need the six port card with proper display port monitors or active adaptors. I just would want to game on 3 monitors with eyefinity but also have my teamspeak channels and hamachi stuff etc on the 4 extended monitor. doesn't 3x1 display group plus one extended mean exactly what I am trying to do?? Here is the link if you have not seen it. Thanks.

Part of the problem is that people are mixing examples in this thread between the standard 3 port card and the unreleased 6 port card. 3x1 SLS +1 extra will work just fne on the 6 port card. To run any more than 3 displays on the desktop at once you'll need the 6 port card (or a second video card).

Thanks for the feedback. I am waiting for the 5870x2 with the 4 gig memory (2 per core). I will get this if crossfire supports eyefinity.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 00:46 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote][quote]I must be missing something then! I was looking at the Ati tech brief on eyefinity and on page 5 it lists the usage scenarios. Listed is 3x1 portrait, 3x1 landscape, 3x2 landscape display for 6 monitor gaming. Then it lists a 3x1 display group plus 1 extended. What would this be? I understand I will need the six port card with proper display port monitors or active adaptors. I just would want to game on 3 monitors with eyefinity but also have my teamspeak channels and hamachi stuff etc on the 4 extended monitor. doesn't 3x1 display group plus one extended mean exactly what I am trying to do?? Here is the link if you have not seen it. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I am waiting for the 5870x2 with the 4 gig memory (2 per core). I will get this if crossfire supports eyefinity.

From what I've seen, the x2 will have 2 DVI and 1 DisplayPort out. So, only 3 displays max for it.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 01:23 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote][quote]I must be missing something then! I was looking at the Ati tech brief on eyefinity and on page 5 it lists the usage scenarios. Listed is 3x1 portrait, 3x1 landscape, 3x2 landscape display for 6 monitor gaming. Then it lists a 3x1 display group plus 1 extended. What would this be? I understand I will need the six port card with proper display port monitors or active adaptors. I just would want to game on 3 monitors with eyefinity but also have my teamspeak channels and hamachi stuff etc on the 4 extended monitor. doesn't 3x1 display group plus one extended mean exactly what I am trying to do?? Here is the link if you have not seen it. Thanks.

From what I've seen, the x2 will have 2 DVI and 1 DisplayPort out. So, only 3 displays max for it.

That would suck, and unless the drivers change I had no luck running an 4000 series card with a 5870 at the same time to use more monitors. The 5870 driver did not work with the 4850 I had forcing me to take the 4850 out of the computer for proper operation or use the 4850 drivers and not get the functions of the 5870.