Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 19:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 00:50 

You could get 18 if you used EYEFinity and 6 TH2G.

I will eventually own this card with 6 30" displays. I have to... damm its gonna be awesome.

TBH I may have to settle for 6 24" displays. 30" cost way to much compared to what 24" cost.

I would wonder what would be the best cards to CF with these. Time will tell.

I also wonder if there will be a second generation of EYEFinity cards with 6 ports.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 02:46 
Insiders
Insiders

I also wonder if there will be a second generation of EYEFinity cards with 6 ports.

EyeFinity is just another feature like Crossfire is now. It'll mature with time and goodies will be added to it as needed to be competative. I'll be more excited about EyeFinity in 3 years than i am now because then it'll be mature and the hardware driving it will be a beast compared to now. Sure, the 5000-series hardware is nice, but like anything computer related, is destined to be obsolete and replaced with something significantly better on about a 1 year cycle.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 11:01 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]But does it do EF with CF?
Not yet

Well I just don't see how people will be powering 6 monitors with just 1 card unless they're playing old games.. and those might not even got that high resolution-wise.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 10:47 

Sure wil be nice if they could just get crossifre to support eyefinity.. with the ports form both cards.. i think there working on it.. we may find out more after the 16th

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 23:25 
Insiders
Insiders

with the ports form both cards.. i think there working on it..

Again...wishful thinking...there would be no need for an EyeFinity6 if you could just use 2 5870s. It's an archetectual and driver limitation right now. Show me an AMD press release stating EyeFinity will be able to bridge cards and GPU port outs and I'll back down on this statement otherwise people need to quit making up disinformation. :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 04:17 

I think most people are assuming that this will be, and not that it is. I know that it isn't possible now, but I am hopeful that it will be.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 09:53 

I just can't see this card handling top game's without reducing a lot of settings. I mean 1gb with 285 GTX can handle 3 monitors in the 5040x1050 pretty well in my opinion but 6x monitors with 2gb?. Well then you might think 1gb/3 monitors but that's not the case.

Wouldn't it be better to get a 5870X2 with 4gb?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 18:20 

The 5870x2 4GB, assuming that is 2GB per core, and not 4gb per core, then the frame buffers and only generated on the VideoRAM allocated to the first GPU, the ram for the second GPU is not used for anything.

So in that regard it would still be 2GB/6 Monitors, or 1GB/3Monitors as per then GTX285.

In this setup the only way you would be using the 2GB VideoRAM on the second GPU is if you were running Soft Triple head.

ta

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 01:15 

with the ports form both cards

In fact Dave Baumann specifically said that this would require hardware found on workstations (so that means totally beyond public prices)
Now don't get me wrong, they should get CF running with EF, actually they are working on it but it will be with all outputs connected to a single card and the second one will just assist the first one with the workload (CF)

again you won't be able to connect one screen to one card & another screen to another get and get EF running !

the reason behind it is that you would need to sync frames between outputs on different cards (which again needs workstation hardware)

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 01:19 

the ram for the second GPU is not used for anything.

not exactly true, the RAM for the second GPU holds replicated data from the RAM of the first GPU (assuming CF is enabled)

it's true though that there's only 2GB of available memory/framebuffer on a 4GB X2 card which is probably what you meant I guess