Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Oct 2024, 01:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 18:20 

[quote]
What I meant is that Physx shouldn't be used as an argument against eyefinity because this isn't a Nvidia vs ATI discussion.

I don't see how this is true. I consider it part of the argument for or against Eyefinity vs Triplehead2Go, because it's going to affect the total cost of the setup for the same visual result.

Then why didn't you mention directx 10.1 and 11 support if were talking ATI vs Nvidia and visual results :?:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 00:48 
Administrators
Administrators

[quote][quote]
What I meant is that Physx shouldn't be used as an argument against eyefinity because this isn't a Nvidia vs ATI discussion.

I don't see how this is true. I consider it part of the argument for or against Eyefinity vs Triplehead2Go, because it's going to affect the total cost of the setup for the same visual result.

Then why didn't you mention directx 10.1 and 11 support if were talking ATI vs Nvidia and visual results :?:
That's a good point too! Had forgotten about that, unsurprising since DirectX 11 is not commonplace yet. So far it has had no impact on my gaming whatsoever as none of my games use DirectX 11 and this thread was about how each system has affected me. You will be able to use the TH2G with an Nvidia card with Directx 11 when one is available, though, one assumes?

Other people are more than capable of posting how each system has affected them and indeed that's what I was asking to hear about - we KNOW that people have had remarkably different experiences with the two setups!

I'm also finding the Radeon side of things so hard to setup. I still haven't managed to set up a hotkey to toggle between a Triplescreen and Singlescreen mode and back again without having to restart the computer when it fouls all the screens up again.

I want to get this Eyefinity thing working and working well, but it's proving so much harder than the TH2G for me.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 04:54 

Eyefinity -
* Unstable. Sometimes my PC starts with different monitor configurations for no reason, DP monitor blinks at times, was a nightmare to get working right. Can't demo to customers as it's embarassing when it starts up all screwed up, no faith in the system yet. Ok for home when you can keep the shame to yourself

Wow, I can say with my setup that it's booted just fine 100%. There are the occasional quirks here and there but one thing it hasn't done is boot up misconfigured. I have the Apple adapter plugged into a Griffin iPhone usb power adapter. The only time it does boot up incorrectly is during a warm boot when I forget to power cycle the adapter. Cold boots very reliably though.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 05:35 
Administrators
Administrators

Wow, I can say with my setup that it's booted just fine 100%. There are the occasional quirks here and there but one thing it hasn't done is boot up misconfigured. I have the Apple adapter plugged into a Griffin iPhone usb power adapter. The only time it does boot up incorrectly is during a warm boot when I forget to power cycle the adapter. Cold boots very reliably though.

Today was a major breakthrough in this area. As I reported in a post in another thread, as soon as the DP monitor is disabled, it all goes to tears. Ever since moving the DP monitor to the centre screen so that it never gets disabled when going from 3 screens to one, reliability has improved tenfold. Happiness +30.

I still have the same issue as you with warm boots vs cold, plus a strange little thing when starting up in single screen mode in order to get it to back to triplescreen. See this thread. 8)

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 13:33 

I'm also finding the Radeon side of things so hard to setup. I still haven't managed to set up a hotkey to toggle between a Triplescreen and Singlescreen mode and back again without having to restart the computer when it fouls all the screens up again.

I want to get this Eyefinity thing working and working well, but it's proving so much harder than the TH2G for me.

Depending on your equipment if you have a DP to DVI USB adapter unplugging the USB changes to single display instantly and plugging it back in goes back to Eyefinity without needing to change other settings.

With my setup I connected the DP USB converter to the monitor I use for the DP display because it has USB ports. Turning off the monitor also cuts out the converter and resets the Eyefinity display at any time. This actually cures all start-up display problems and re-initialises Eyefinity at any time just by turning the one monitor on and off again.

I work with 4 monitors. 3 x 22" in Eyefinity with a 4th 24" connected to the HDMI. Turning off the monitor with the USB DP connected disables Eyefinity and enables the 24" and the two DVI monitors in duplicate mode. Turning the Monitor with the USB DP back on re-enables Eyefinity and disables the 24". All with the click of a button.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 19:04 

Also you can get a PCI Physx PPU. A PCI-e 1x or 4x Nvidia GPU for Physx. All motherboards have spare PCI-e slots except maybe micro atx versions. The cost increase would be minimal.

Actually spare PCI-e slots are harder to find that you think, alot of people here that have been into triple head gaming for a while, are using 2 or even 3 card SLI/CrossfireX as there running 5.2million+ pixels. so spare PCI-e lanes are not always avail.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 00:55 
Administrators
Administrators

[quote]

Also you can get a PCI Physx PPU. A PCI-e 1x or 4x Nvidia GPU for Physx. All motherboards have spare PCI-e slots except maybe micro atx versions. The cost increase would be minimal.

Actually spare PCI-e slots are harder to find that you think, alot of people here that have been into triple head gaming for a while, are using 2 or even 3 card SLI/CrossfireX as there running 5.2million+ pixels. so spare PCI-e lanes are not always avail.
Rofl don't quote it as me saying it, I wasn't the one who said it.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 05:49 

The patch is a small software patch it is easy to install. You saying someone who goes to all the trouble of using triple monitors and all the fov hacks and configuration needed for games isn't going to want to use a software patch for Physx?

Show me this small patch, please, and also don't forget about breaking the bank to get those 3 monitor setups :P

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 08:16 
Administrators
Administrators

...and also don't forget about breaking the bank to get those 3 monitor setups :P

Yeah, but seriously, monitors are cheap these days. 200 bucks each will get you some nice ones. It's more about what to stick between your motherboard and the three monitors that I'm looking at.

There's no doubt that the in-between-bit is expensive, a pain in the butt at times, and can be mega frustrating, but when its working, you just can't go back! 8) 8)

Now that my Eyefinity setup has stopped being so unpredictable and a royal pain in the neck, it's growing on me. Still annoyed with some minor driver issues but when it's working, it performs great. If it had bezel management and didn't need 3 x hotkey to change profile, I'd be set!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 12:47 

2 Tn panel for the price of less than I paid for my single s-pva.
I run eyefinity using one odd s-pva and 2 tn panel ones at 5760x1080.
works well. I had to get TN panel screens due to budget constraints.

I can get 3 tn panel for the price of one s-pva or isp.
(special deals offered from time to time.)

here is my sisters kid playing testing this out.
Screens not aligned currently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next