Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 13:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 00:44 

Its definitely in the drivers linked in this thread. The CCC is older than the 8.703 beta so that needs to be uninstalled first.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 01:51 

Its definitely in the drivers linked in this thread. The CCC is older than the 8.703 beta so that needs to be uninstalled first.

Well that makes me extremely confused... why wouldn't that show up under my display group?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 02:51 

Thanks for the video.

So this ends up using bezel management on the desktop as well as in games? Wouldn't that cause some problems with some applications (do windows still limit themselves to the monitors correctly)?

Compared to the Triplehead2Go implementation of bezel management, do you think this is better with more pixels rendered? Worse? (You already stated in the video that the calibration screen wasn't up to par, but how about the end result?).

Just curious of your thoughts.

Also, I think it's a ship carcass, not an airplane one ;).

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 04:00 

So this ends up using bezel management on the desktop as well as in games? Wouldn't that cause some problems with some applications (do windows still limit themselves to the monitors correctly)?

As Ibrin points out in the video once you've done the bezel compensation setup the compensated and non-compnsated resolutions are exposed in the OS and CCC; this also translates through to games. So, you can set up bezel comp, use the uncompensated resolution on the desktop and then the compensated in the game.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 04:32 

[quote]So this ends up using bezel management on the desktop as well as in games? Wouldn't that cause some problems with some applications (do windows still limit themselves to the monitors correctly)?

As Ibrin points out in the video once you've done the bezel compensation setup the compensated and non-compnsated resolutions are exposed in the OS and CCC; this also translates through to games. So, you can set up bezel comp, use the uncompensated resolution on the desktop and then the compensated in the game.

Hey, Mr. Baumann, do you know the reason behind why the new catalyst version is not installed for me and NDH when we install this driver package? I have reinstalled multiple times trying different things. 2 times w/ driver sweeper, 1 time w/o it, uninstalled and used a registry cleaner, uninstalled and made sure all files were deleted by hand... all to no avail.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 05:21 

I didn't notice the outer edges of the side screens, do we lose real estate like Matrox? If not, and it goes edge to edge then I have to say kudo's to ATI :D

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 06:39 

Thanks for the clarification Dave. That makes it much clearer.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 07:53 

I ran Crysis GPU benchmark to ascertain if using Bezel Compensation affects in game FPS. All settings were on high. There was indeed a performance drop of about 4% for the average FPS and 15% for the minimum FPS.

5040 x 1050 No Bezel compensation

5284 x 1050 With Bezel compensation

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 10:25 
Insiders
Insiders

Very nice demonstration. And nice to see some actual proof of progress :) I like that we'll only have to set up the BM once, and it'll work for the rest of the EF resolutions. I've never seen the Matrox method, but I do imagine a large, thin X would be better than a single triangle. Or almost anything else, for that matter. I recall seeing that on another site and I thought there could have been better images to use.

But once thing that scares me about BM (i must admit, i smirk every time i type that) is being able to easily turn it on and off whe in-game, in case there's (usually text) something i need to see. I didn't expect to to make a whole new res, so i guess changing game resolution should be easy enough. Luckily, most games can change resution without a restart - though something like a temporary "squish/stretch" hotkey would be nice.

But all-in all, it's looking good, adn a 2fps average drop is pretty acceptable. But now I'm even more impatient for it. I've been putting off playing a lot of FPS games because the lack of BM (hee hee) is so noticeable in them.

tanky fer der viddy.

PS - why does your left screen not have AR correction on? And clean your screens.

PPS - boats have hulls- aeroplanes have fuselages.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 11:24 

I didn't notice the outer edges of the side screens, do we lose real estate like Matrox? If not, and it goes edge to edge then I have to say kudo's to ATI :D

No, you don't lose anything - this is why the compensated resolution is larger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next