Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 23:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 11:58 

So if I were to connect my monitors like this: 1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI and 1 x DVI to mDP, will it work? Or is the Flex edition just an overall better choice?

As for "will it work" you should be able to get Eyefinity working, yes. But, with this configuration, I would almost expect tearing on all three due to none being connected identically to one of the others.

Is the tearing problem of concern to you or not? If not, then go with whatever combination you can get for the lowest cost. Just be aware that these DP adapters can sometimes be a real pain to deal with. So, make sure you can return for a full refund any that may not work for you.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 12:14 

Well, the tearing is an issue for me. So this means I 1. have to get a Flex card, or 2. get three monitors with (mini)DP outputs. However, choice number 2 is very, very expensive. But getting active adapters is also expensive, so I guess I getting a Flex card. Am I about right in my conclusions here?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 12:34 

Well, the tearing is an issue for me. So this means I 1. have to get a Flex card, or 2. get three monitors with (mini)DP outputs. However, choice number 2 is very, very expensive. But getting active adapters is also expensive, so I guess I getting a Flex card. Am I about right in my conclusions here?

Yes, I think the Flex is the better option if you're going to go for consistency over all of the screens. I see where you've opted for the IPS panels which is a very good...and wise...choice, IMHO. Also, IIRC, doesn't the FLEX card also come with the adapters needed? Might want to check that out.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 12:42 

This is what I get with the 6950 Flex:

Video Adapter: DVI to D-Sub adapter, DVI to HDMI Adapter
Video output: DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI, 2x Mini Display Port

Is that enough for a monitor with D-Sub (VGA), DVI-D, HDMI ports?

PS: I've also watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMVDejZH4kw (I'm trying to get that video a sticky, it's soooo helpful!).
I'm also editing my first post with the setup now.

Post subject: This is a quote from a
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 23:49 

This is a quote from a reviewer of a Sapphire Flex card:

"Stock AMD cards require that one of your monitors have a DisplayPort input, but such monitors are rare. Sapphire's FleX cards let you use the two DVI and the HDMI port in Eyefinity mode, so you can play games on two DVI and one HDMI monitor, or three DVI monitors using the included HDMI adapter."

Whether or not the HDMI and/or the HDMI adapter will solve the tearing is something I have no idea about. However, this would seem to be the much better option over using any DP solution.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 00:12 

Okay, thanks mate, for all the help! I'll keep you up to date