Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Sep 2024, 10:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 23:02 
Insiders
Insiders

*edited by BHawthorne* Removed inaccurate pre-release info about adapters.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 23:13 

[quote][quote]Spot on m8 couldnt have said it better myself.
Can tell this is getting to u as well :(
hope something gets sorted.[/quote

but I'm damn well pissed off at the idea of spending a $500 premium on converters just to use their new

yep i see your point.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 23:20 

just seen this

The ATI guy Dave on B3D forum confirmed this. There are only 2 display engines that drive legacy ports (non DP ports), so 1 must be a display port. Apparently AMD are in talks with monitor manufactures about getting a adapter supported.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 23:24 
Insiders
Insiders

$500 in adapters blows the budget on my projector build. That's almost the cost of one of the projectors I need.

Anyone know if the new Samsung displayport LCDs are even on the market yet?

This raises the question, can we instead have a 6-port HDMI card developed? I'm willing to pay the added cost for 6 hdmi ports cost in whatever licensing that would add to the cost of the card as to not have to eat an exponentially worse cost with Mini-DP active adapters.

For the end consumer:
HDMI license cost = cheaper
Mini-DP active adapters = too expensive.

ATI please produce a 6 port HDMI card that is also capable of using single-DVI passive adapters for use with EyeFinity.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 23:48 

[quote]from ATI....

Dear Customer,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200241085]} has been reviewed and updated.
Response and Service Request History:
Yes, you are correct, there is no way some one with three monitors with dvi only ports on them can use eyefinity for a tri monitor set up. The display port to display port is required.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

The words I want to use after reading that are censored here.

...the next word I want to use after that is, "Why?"

I see no reason why it should require DP->DP with no adaptors... :(
obviously this is a "level 1 tech phone assistant" he's being told that you need a third DP only screen so he tells that ... (I doubt he could be level 2 but in any case this is "passed" information)

obviously at least, an active adapter should work since in this case there's no way for the hardware to know it's a DVI monitor and not an DP one
(maybe in this case we should talk about converter ? rather than adapter ?)

I think we'll need to wait for 5870 6DP outputs, I expect deeper eyefinity reviews with this baby ....

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 23:50 

I'm going to wait a while then. It sounds to me like as soon as both DVI ports are in use, the DisplayPort output does not output something that the DP->DVI converter can make use of, that's why you're only getting 2 monitors.

I'm gonna wait about a month or so and see what happens with this, maybe even two months. If AMD comes out with proper adapters that can come bundled in the box, that'd be great. If not, I may consider getting one of the new Dell U2410 24" IPS monitors along with the new video card, but that would be my last resort.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 00:55 

man this is bad news, if theres no solution to this problem then im forced to sell 1x samsung 2443bwt for $350 and get a dell 2408wfp... damn

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 02:33 
Insiders
Insiders

One would think that ATI would realize just how bad this is for the existing surround-gaming community and seek some sort of solution for this. Afterall, who is going to support this tech if it isn't for the surround-gaming community that is already established? Most of my frustration is based on the fact that I thought finally, we had a no compromise solution in the works, now we have a new set of hoops to jump through instead of the old set of hoops. Just give us something that works...

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the displays and projectors on the market are about 98% DVI or HDMI. Why target a specialized thing like EyeFinity then target it at the smallest installed cross section of hardware available? One would think in order to seek market wide acceptance of this, you'd seek to make it available to the widest cross section of hardware out there....IE: DVI and HDMI. That makes a lot of logical sense to me, but maybe I'm just not seeing ATI's perspective on this...

Make a variation of the card that allows these cheap passive adapter to work with DVi and HDMI. I could care less what crazy varaion of ports the card has as long as there is an affordable connection solution that can hook up to DVI and HDMI. If that means a delayed launch of the 6-port mini-dp card to get it done....so be it. Get the problems out of the before launch, not after.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 02:55 
Insiders
Insiders

Can anyone recommend some good gaming non-TN 24" monitors?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 02:56 

BHawthorne - we have to broadcast the truth about this "eyefinity" to everyone in the community, not too many ppl read up on threads - im ready to go at this like a murder case, truth be told.

im extremely upset about all this hype with surround "eyefinity" gaming.. as if ati is trying to take over and adopt surround gaming community thats originally been established with matrox.

"display port"

middle finger to apple about this trend, dvi will still own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 72  Next