Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 02:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 04:50 

I'm having so problems with my GPU. I've been doing a lot of troubleshooting and now I'm almost certain it's my power supply. I'm going from 600 to 700 watts now, I'll get back to you when the problem is fixed. Excuse me for postponing my article.

Wow sorry to hear you having so many issues. Hopefully the new PSU solves your issues. If its old or weakened over time, you may be pushing it just over the edge.

These days you can find me:

Vanguard - Exmortis/Falcron/Treager/Goraag/Scrotal/Phailse - Telon Server

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3/Gskill 4x4 DDR3-1600cl7/i7-2600K/7970 Lightning/24x27x24 eyefinity/Corsair K90/Corsair AX850/Revo3 240/ocz Vertex 3 240/WD VelociRapter 600/Corsair 600T/Logitech 5450Z 5.1

The priest asked "Who are you?"

And the voice replied "Legion for we are many."

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 04:52 

[quote]
I am sure you realize that 600 watts should be more then enough for a single gpu, so the amount of watts should not be the problem. Let me know if you need help troubleshooting?

QFT!

but you never know! Maybe a problem inside the PSU? If not i'd say problem from MB!

I wonder how the OC potential of that Cards are. DCUII should do 1200mhz with Air!
I wonder how the MSI Lightning will do. With LN2 up to 1800mhz... But thats a special sample!

Well mines (MSI LIghtning) in transit as I post this I am hoping to have it by Friday. So I will post my initial feelings then.

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3/Gskill 4x4 DDR3-1600cl7/i7-2600K/7970 Lightning/24x27x24 eyefinity/Corsair K90/Corsair AX850/Revo3 240/ocz Vertex 3 240/WD VelociRapter 600/Corsair 600T/Logitech 5450Z 5.1

Post subject: PSU
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 13:36 

Well, at first I thought the problem was indeed located elsewhere. However, the freezes where always somewhere ingame, never on desktop. Then I started fiddling around in AMD Overdrive. I clocked my card back from initial speeds to standard clock speeds and turned down energysettings to -20%. This drastically reduced the amount of freezes.

Also, a 600 watts PSU should be enough, however I've had mine for over two years now, so the wattage capacity isn't 80% anymore.
Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a PSU will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 25-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years.

That's why I decided to get a new PSU.

Moose

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 01:04 

Well, at first I thought the problem was indeed located elsewhere. However, the freezes where always somewhere ingame, never on desktop. Then I started fiddling around in AMD Overdrive. I clocked my card back from initial speeds to standard clock speeds and turned down energysettings to -20%. This drastically reduced the amount of freezes.

Also, a 600 watts PSU should be enough, however I've had mine for over two years now, so the wattage capacity isn't 80% anymore.
Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a PSU will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 25-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years.

Moose

That is true, but alot also depends on build quality. I own a Corsair AX850 Gold. One thing I never skimp on is PSU, I bvuy the best tested PSU in the range of power I want. When I bought mine the Corsair was the cleanest most stable power HardOCP had ever tested. I wanted 750ish, so 850 was a fit. Was not cheap, but its a great solid unit.

It is also enough for CFX, if I ever go that way again.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 13:54 
Editors
Editors

Moose

Lol. How much did you pay for your psu? 50$ ¿

We're talking about Gaming PSU's not 24/7 industrial use! I payd 300$ for mine (Enermax Max Revo 1500W Gold) and im sure that in 5-6 Years when i'm gonna buy a Quad GPU high end Monster PC i'd still be able to use the exact same PSU!
Beside... 750W doesnt mean it'll shut down at 750W ! Most PSU can handle 10-15% over usage.
If there's a Problem with the PSU, its not because you drain to much but more because the PSU itself has a problem. Well still ends in same^^ need to replace PSU.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 20:49 

Well My MSI came in, and man is it a BIG ass card, I do not mean width I mean all over!!! its hugely longer then reference, taller as well.

I work to an unknown hour tonight, and I have to get a third mDP to DP 6' cable before I install it, so will be tomorrow sometime.
I will post my feelings, and some benchmarks.

I own all 3Dmark, I will install, run them on my system as it is with my 6970, then my new 7970 at stock speeds.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2012, 10:56 

Well My MSI came in, and man is it a BIG ass card, I do not mean width I mean all over!!! its hugely longer then reference, taller as well.

Haha, I know that feeling. These cards really are monsters. I hope everthing works out for you, my PSU is due to come in on tuesday.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 09:35 

Well I'm new to the ATI camp but picked up this card (the TOP version) just recently. Temps and noise are great, but the VRM cooling limits overclocking headroom. (1.2v 1200mhz cannot be sustained even at 100% fan due to VRM's getting over 105C, tested stock clocks at this voltage and crashes occur at the same VRM temps.) If that were addressed or this card was to be water cooled (now that EK are producing blocks for it), I'd imagine it would overclock very well.

However the reason myself (and most people on this forum) would buy this card is for the apparently tearing free eyefinity- with 3 monitors in extended desktop, all appears fine, however when running 5760x1080 or any amount of bezel correction I am seeing consistent tearing on one screen with Vsync enabled (this one is using an active DP-DVI adapter).
Is there any specific setup configuration that will remove the tearing, or is (for whatever reason) this card just not *the* solution to tearing?

Post subject: Crysto wrote:However the
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 10:08 

However the reason myself (and most people on this forum) would buy this card is for the apparently tearing free eyefinity- with 3 monitors in extended desktop, all appears fine, however when running 5760x1080 or any amount of bezel correction I am seeing consistent tearing on one screen with Vsync enabled (this one is using an active DP-DVI adapter).
Is there any specific setup configuration that will remove the tearing, or is (for whatever reason) this card just not *the* solution to tearing?

Well, apparently you are using a DVI port in combination with a DP port. That will give tearing. I have three DVI screens with three DP to DVI adapters. That way you're not messing up different digital signals, you're just converting three DP signals to three DVI signals.

Hope this helps!

Post subject: Probably should have
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 10:39 

Probably should have clarified, I am using two 'passive' DP to DVI adapters for two of my monitors, and one active DP to DVI adapter (my understanding was this was required for eyefinity). Is this not the way I should be connecting my screens to prevent tearing?

I have tried running one of my screens through the 'switched' dual link DVI port (as it is a 120hz monitor, and my active adapter apparently isn't up to the task of that - even though it can do 2560x1600), and I get identical tearing in eyefinity (but none with extended desktop).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next