Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 22:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012, 15:00 

*Doublepost* Sorry!

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Catalyst 12.3 w/o CAP | ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 | Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz | 16GB PC3 12800 Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS DirectCU II 7970 TOP | Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe (PAX 1.40) | Intel 520 120GB (Intel Smart Response) | 2x WD Black 500GB RAID 0 (Intel Rapid Storage 10.​8.​0.​1003) | 2x WD Black 640GB | Corsair AX850 850W PSU | 2x Dell 2007WFP 20" @ 1680x1050 (via HIS DisplayPort Active SL Adapter) | Samsung SyncMaster F2380 23" @ 1920x1080 (via HIS DisplayPort Active SL Adapter) -- Storage: NexStar NST-400MX-SR w/ 2x WD Black 2TB (via eSATA)

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012, 15:07 

Here is the conclusion to this harrowing experience....

If using Intel RAID (latest version, which I am) on Windows 7 64-bit SP1 (all updates applied) and the Catalyst 12.3 drivers, using my middle monitor (the 1080p Samsung, doesn't matter what DisplayPort port it is connected to OR if it is connected via DVI) as either the primary or when moving Battlefield 3 to it, the game WILL hard lock and crash the system. If moving the game from a primary monitor on either side of the middle one, in order to not crash after a minute, you must not use onboard Realtek audio drivers. In the end though, if you try to launch the game, it WILL crash.

So, it runs on my left 1680x1050 screen without issue and I've bunged my XFi back in to see how that fares. Things seem okay though. I'll be testing with Starcraft 2 again and Team Fortress 2 to see how that goes. Mass Effect 3 works just fine.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Catalyst 12.3 w/o CAP | ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 | Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz | 16GB PC3 12800 Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS DirectCU II 7970 TOP | Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe (PAX 1.40) | Intel 520 120GB (Intel Smart Response) | 2x WD Black 500GB RAID 0 (Intel Rapid Storage 10.​8.​0.​1003) | 2x WD Black 640GB | Corsair AX850 850W PSU | 2x Dell 2007WFP 20" @ 1680x1050 (via HIS DisplayPort Active SL Adapter) | Samsung SyncMaster F2380 23" @ 1920x1080 (via HIS DisplayPort Active SL Adapter) -- Storage: NexStar NST-400MX-SR w/ 2x WD Black 2TB (via eSATA)

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2012, 18:39 

Hi Moose.

Congratulations on pursuing your dreams as you enter the next "student" phase of your life. I wish you all the best!

I recall my "student" days fondly; they were many years ago when I took business studies at The University of Manitoba in Wiinnipeg. I am sure you will have a great time since you are keenly interested in your "field of dreams"!

I am in the process of completing my new PC build using the ASUS Radeon 7970 DC2T I received recently. I have been preoccupied with other parts of the build, accessories, Gamepod, shelving, etc. It should be completed this weekend, barring mis-steps! :) It is my first build so I have been doing a lot of reading, investigating, etc. before actually doing anything. Plus a further excuse: it is "hockey playoffs" time and my home team is battling the villans from the "Big Apple"!

Take care and I still look forward to reading your commnets and interacting in the WSGF.

NEW SYSTEM: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, Intel i7-3930K, ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Corsair AX1200 PSU, Western Digital 2TB HDD, OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD, 3X Dell U2410, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair H100 CPU cooler, Windows 7 Pro, Corsair Vengeance K90 keyboard, Logitech G9X mouse, 32 GB (8X4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws, ASUS DVD R/W & Blu-ray R/W, Thrustmaster T500RS Wheel & Pedals, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke & Instrument Panels, RailDriver

Post subject: BirdOtt wrote:Hi Moose.
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2012, 20:49 

Hi Moose.

Congratulations on pursuing your dreams as you enter the next "student" phase of your life. I wish you all the best!

Thanks for those kind words. (:

I am in the process of completing my new PC build using the ASUS Radeon 7970 DC2T I received recently. I have been preoccupied with other parts of the build, accessories, Gamepod, shelving, etc. It should be completed this weekend, barring mis-steps! :) It is my first build so I have been doing a lot of reading, investigating, etc. before actually doing anything.

Exquisite! I hope everything works out for you. Doing research and stuff is half the work, I am very pleased to see you did that. I like you.

Moose

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 18:51 

Sorry for long hiatus, Life got in the way, the kind where we are all standing around playing pin the pick slip on the employee. Very stressful waiting for those times. they come out next week. Man the waiting.

Anyhoo my Lightning is working perfectly. It is a dream of a card, buit it is NOT so quiet as I rea din thereviews, fans can really spin up. I installed two side fans and the mesh instead of window on my Corsair 600T and that has helped.

Other then MSIs afterburner isn't too great right now, I have had very little driver issues, but I have not OC'd yet, I tend to wait a few weeks to make sure all is stable. I have had one blue screen, damn VirtuLogix driver, not AMD.

Also......wait for it.....NO TEARING!!!! I run all monitors with DP and not once have I seen it in Skyrim and it used ot be rather bad.

I have had no time to do benchmark, Just wanted to chime in, as I said I would. Damn RL.

These days you can find me:

Vanguard - Exmortis/Falcron/Treager/Goraag/Scrotal/Phailse - Telon Server

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3/Gskill 4x4 DDR3-1600cl7/i7-2600K/7970 Lightning/24x27x24 eyefinity/Corsair K90/Corsair AX850/Revo3 240/ocz Vertex 3 240/WD VelociRapter 600/Corsair 600T/Logitech 5450Z 5.1

The priest asked "Who are you?"

And the voice replied "Legion for we are many."

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 22:02 

I assembled my new PC this past week and did the first power up and boot on the weekend. :) Nothing came up on the monitor. :( MOBO LED read AE and then AA. Caused some concern initially. Then I learned that this was OK. But it meant I had a monitor issue. I changed from one monitor hooked by Displayport to DVI. It worked. Will be changing back to DP shortly to see if the problem is resolved. Hope so. Installed Windows 7 and MS Office. Planning to do more this week. Hope to get 3X1 landscape eyefinity running and check performance. Bye for now.

NEW SYSTEM: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, Intel i7-3930K, ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Corsair AX1200 PSU, Western Digital 2TB HDD, OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD, 3X Dell U2410, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair H100 CPU cooler, Windows 7 Pro, Corsair Vengeance K90 keyboard, Logitech G9X mouse, 32 GB (8X4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws, ASUS DVD R/W & Blu-ray R/W, Thrustmaster T500RS Wheel & Pedals, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke & Instrument Panels, RailDriver

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 22:48 

I have had that issue, for me it was a dead DP port.

These days you can find me:

Vanguard - Exmortis/Falcron/Treager/Goraag/Scrotal/Phailse - Telon Server

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3/Gskill 4x4 DDR3-1600cl7/i7-2600K/7970 Lightning/24x27x24 eyefinity/Corsair K90/Corsair AX850/Revo3 240/ocz Vertex 3 240/WD VelociRapter 600/Corsair 600T/Logitech 5450Z 5.1

The priest asked "Who are you?"

And the voice replied "Legion for we are many."

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 01:20 

I am thinking about this card to get rid of tearing as well as hopefully improved AA over the 6970 series (dont know if I will get that?)

Right now I use 2xdvi and one dp with an active adaptor.

How do I hook this up? I guess I need another 2 active adaptors of DP->DVI and 3 three adaptors to convert from DP to mini DP so I can plug in the active adaptors.

Thats it, good to go with no tearing? Seems like an obvious answer but I am just checking that active adaptors are still used and that tearing will go with three of them in the solution.

Thanks!

Post subject: Hmm, I currently have 2
PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 01:29 

Hmm, I currently have 2 active mini display port to dvi adaptors.

It looks more likely that I need to buy three entirely new regular DP -> dvi adaptors at around $160nzd on top because I can't source any adaptors that will let me use them in this card..

That puts a damper on it as the price hikes up fast.

PostPosted: 12 May 2012, 02:37 

Things are NOT going smoothly in my new build. After multiple hours long sessions with Windows 7 updates, and hours long downloads of a few games from Gamersgate and STEAM, I am steamed! Then the BIG problems started! I am now getting lockups where sometimes the mouse won't move and others where it will move but clicking on any icon does nothing.

I am also encountering repeated messages where the screen goes blank and then a message pops up saying "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered, Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered." (Yes, it says it twice with different wording). Sometimes it happens only once and then I can go on to use the PC for awhile. At other times, it keeps happening in quick succession with very little time between occurrences (e.g., less than 60 seconds). It does not seem to occur when the Windows start screen is on. It seems to happen when I try to use programs within Windows 7.

I am also having issues with Windows 7 Updates. I did a new install of Windows 7 and it said there were 91 updates available. I tried to install them all, but only 77 were successful. 12 of the 14 that failed were said to be "important". Over a few additional update attempts, 4 of the 12 were subsequently installed successfully. 8 have never been attempted since the first attempt and thus those 8 appear to be "not installed". Perhaps they have been addressed by subsequent updates that have different serial numbers. I don't know about that though. I have noticed that Windows Updates keep indicating that 2 updates are required, yet those two updates have already been installed three times successfully. I think the Windows update process is screwed up. I have now taken Windows recommendation to install updates automatically. Maybe that will help.

Another problem is with Winamp. It downloads, installs and gets the data off my NAS. However, it will not let me click on "audio" and create a "query" to create a "Smart View". It will also not let me select any of the individual sound files under audio and sometime will do strange things that I have not selected. HOWEVER, today I started Windows in SAFE MODE and then started Winamp. It allowed me to create a smart view. When I shut down and rebooted in normal mode, the new smart view (genre) was there, BUT it would not work and I could not play any of the files. So, it weorks in SAFE MODE but not regular mode. I don't know why.

So, those are the problems at this time. I am describing them all here so that you have a complete picture of the problems.

My current system is as follows:

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D, Intel Core i7 3930K, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler, ASUS Rampage IV Extreme MOBO, G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 8 stick set X 4gb = 32GB RAM, OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD, ASUS HD7970 DirectCu II TOP (DC2T), ASUS 12X Blu-ray drive, ASUS DVD-Writer 24X, CORSAIR AX1200 PSU, Corsair K90 Keyboard, Logitech G9x Mouse, 1Dell Ultrabright U2410 Monitor.

I have not installed all 3 monitors nor a PCIe sound card yet.

This new PC is a nightmare. I think it is the ASUS graphics card that is the culprit. Any thoughts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next