Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Aug 2024, 02:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 23:47 
Editors
Editors

Here's better shot of one of the rigs I saw at the launch event, just for reference:

As you can see, this card has 2 DVI ports adapted to HDMI and the DP port->DVI->HDMI. For connection to 3 DVI monitors the only adapter needed would be the Bizlink box you see on the floor. You can see product information here, but I couldn't find any pricing via web search.

This box was running Stalker: Call of Pripyat @ 3x1920x1080 with very playable framerates, so I'm guessing the GPU must be at least at the mid-level of the Eyefinity product spectrum. Footage here: (link removed)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 23:50 
Insiders
Insiders

*edited by BHawthorne* Removed inaccurate old info about adapters.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 00:30 
Editors
Editors

From what I can see about this new tech, ATi is doing their best to make this compatible with as much as possible. Making a whole new line of cards with 3xDVI slots only for a niche market such as this would be counter productive when you can just use a few adapters.

This "niche market" is all about Eyefinity is related, isnt it ? Why not have a "plug and play" advantage over the current solution ? "Few adapters" that cost U$ 150 will make a huge difference for many potential customers.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 01:05 
Insiders
Insiders

*edited by BHawthorne* Removed inaccurate pre-release info about adapters.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 01:36 
Editors
Editors

Just spend $9 for the adaptor and go on with life. :wink:

U$ 9 for an active DP / DVI adapter ? :shock:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 02:59 
Insiders
Insiders

*edited by BHawthorne* Removed inaccurate pre-release info about adapters.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 04:10 
I Donated
I Donated

So will this $10 adapter work? Yes or no?
http://www.amazon.com/Bafo-Technology-BF-3381-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B002C5CSC4/

If so I see no problem with this at all. If I need to buy some $100-200 active converter then I am not even going to bother with this Eyefinity business.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 06:19 
Editors
Editors

Perhaps an active converter means one that requires USB power, like the Bizlink model shown in the picture I posted above.

Why it would need to be powered I don't know, but that's how the system was setup at the launch event. None of the DVI->HDMI and miniDP->DP connections I saw required dedicated power.

If such adapters are indeed required and they run $100+, that is a significant problem.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 11:40 
Editors
Editors

From what I understand, an 'active' converter would only be needed to take it from DisplayPort to VGA, as the adaptor would have to take the digital signal and make it analogue. Since DisplayPort doesn't pass an analogue signal. Or something along those lines.

DisplayPort -> DVI or HDMI isn't going to cost a bomb - its still a digital signal, so all it really does is change the pinout and port shape. I would hope that if ATi are sensible, they would bundle the DisplayPort -> DVI adaptors in the box at least. Of course, they could go the Apple route and charge extortionate amounts of cash for every little adaptor and extra that should have been in the box in the first place. Hey, it works for Apple, doesn't it?

I'd like to know how many people using VGA-only displays that aren't CRT who'd be interested in this... because I don't honestly think it'll be many.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 11:46 
Editors
Editors

Don't your displays have at least a DVI port on them? Your sig says you have LG W2252TQ LCDs which clearly have DVI-D ports on them.

Sure m8, the DVI wouldnt be a problem for me, i've posted about the active adapters based on Dave Baumman post :

DisplayPort outputs are required to be used, however active adapters can also be used convert >2 "legacy" outputs to other display output types. So, with an active DP-to-DVI or active DP-to-VGA those other display input types can be used.

(page 1 of this thread)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 72  Next