Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 19:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 22:20 

Somehow I doubt it's another Baldur's Gate or even Dragon Age.

It's nothing like those games what-so-ever, it's not even an RPG really, but I have no idea what that has to do with its quality.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 22:24 
Insiders
Insiders

BioWare, best games of all time? Just saying BioWare has a proven track record of releasing 'best games of all time', ME2 is not particularly more special than other games it has already made.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 22:38 

Yeah, what, you're not making any sense here. If they render the UI only onto the middle monitor, it's the same UI as if for a single monitor.

The fact of the matter, yes it is that easy, and the reason they aren't going to do it is because they think it's too low priority and the risk is too high for the benefit of a very niche population of users.

Unfortunately I already have ME2 because someone gifted to me, so I guess I'll play it at some point, but there is no way I would've bought it for PC given lack of surround support had I not already had it.

I understood your comment about simply displaying the UIs on the middle monitor. My concern was what will the other screens display when you are in those menus? They could just leave them blank, but I'd expect them to extend the background out to side monitors. This would involve remaking textures. I am referring to critical menus like the Galaxy-navigation-map, and the planet probing game.

To reiterate, I know the UIs could remain unchanged. I am referring to the several key instances where the background is important.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 22:38 

BioWare, best games of all time? Just saying BioWare has a proven track record of releasing 'best games of all time', ME2 is not particularly more special than other games it has already made.

Well... it's completely different, arguably even from ME1. It's the best open world shooter I have ever played, one of the best sci-fi stories ever, in games or otherwise, and it's just a top quality titles no one should miss.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 22:56 
Editors
Editors

No, Mass Effect is good, Mass Effect 2 is less good. But neither are contenders for "best games of all time"... firstly, because I don't think I'd be able to play either of them through more than two or three times without getting bored. There isn't enough variety.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 00:04 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]
Yeah, what, you're not making any sense here. If they render the UI only onto the middle monitor, it's the same UI as if for a single monitor.

The fact of the matter, yes it is that easy, and the reason they aren't going to do it is because they think it's too low priority and the risk is too high for the benefit of a very niche population of users.

Unfortunately I already have ME2 because someone gifted to me, so I guess I'll play it at some point, but there is no way I would've bought it for PC given lack of surround support had I not already had it.

I understood your comment about simply displaying the UIs on the middle monitor. My concern was what will the other screens display when you are in those menus? They could just leave them blank, but I'd expect them to extend the background out to side monitors. This would involve remaking textures. I am referring to critical menus like the Galaxy-navigation-map, and the planet probing game.

To reiterate, I know the UIs could remain unchanged. I am referring to the several key instances where the background is important.

I'd personally be thrilled if they'd just center the UI (hell, i'd be happy if I could *see* the UI on 3 monitors - I happily play DA with my UI not centered) for combat/walking around/etc and , and black out the other 2 screens for all the menus, galaxy map, conversations, and all that stuff. In fact, that was actually what I was expecting until recently. Something like that wouldn't be difficult at all, what your suggesting is unnecessary in my opinion.

Anyway, major disappointment here, but I can't hardly say I'm surprised either.. Oh well.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 00:37 

No, Mass Effect is good, Mass Effect 2 is less good. But neither are contenders for "best games of all time"... firstly, because I don't think I'd be able to play either of them through more than two or three times without getting bored. There isn't enough variety.

Well obviously it is a subjective statement.

For me personally, one of the best games I ever played by far. Right up there with Morrowind, Chaos Theory and Deus Ex. The mission structure, shooting, story, dialogue... it's all just amazing to me.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 11:24 
Editors
Editors

Well obviously it is a subjective statement.

For me personally, one of the best games I ever played by far. Right up there with Morrowind, Chaos Theory and Deus Ex. The mission structure, shooting, story, dialogue... it's all just amazing to me.

Yeah, that's fair enough. One reason why I hardly bother reading reviews, as I rarely agree with them. ;)

I wouldn't put it anywhere near Morrowind or Deus Ex... but I'd probably put it on the same level as Chaos Theory. But then, I didn't like that very much. It was OK, but I don't think I've played it since I finished it.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 22:59 

Man I hope the HeroEngine used in The Old Republic MMO supports ultra-widescreen.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 03:23 

Despite Batman and some other UE3 games working perfectly in TH I would bet it is the Unreal Engine that prevented them from doing it this time... not prevented them, really, but made it costly and and more effort than they could budget.

With ToR being a PC exclusive and a different engine, I imagine it will be fine in TH. No one can really know though, of course.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next