Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 01:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 11:52 

By the way, you've added the 7970 DC2T 3GD5 instead of the 7970 DC2 3GD5. Here's a comparison link (dutch website)

Would you reckon it's worth the 15 bucks? I can overclock graphics cards myself, but there's always a risk that you're going to screw up.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 12:08 
Editors
Editors

I am not entirely sure its the connection interface responsible for the tearing (aka "the line") on the older cards, it was more to do with the internal clock stuff (hard for me to explain but it was the reason why despite my 5970 having 4 connections only 3 could be live a a given time and people had to use "active" adapters.

I have had the tearing take place on all 3 of my monitors at random based on various drivers, settings all the while never changing the actual physical connection to my gpu. I ran 2xDP and 1xDVI and thus did not even use any adapters I got Dell U2410 specifically for this reason of having native connections.

I suppose having a bad adapter could induce or worsen the problem though.

For me to get rid of it the best thing for me to do was definitely not overclock my cards, didn't matter how stable the OC was even a very minor OC caused the tearing to worsen at exponential levels. I do not notice it anymore so I guess one day it just went away on its own, but I did not notice when it went away. Perhaps most logically when I replaced my old Q6600 and P45 motherboard with a i7 2600K and a P8P67 motherboard.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 12:56 
Editors
Editors

You can Damage a Card with overclocking? Ah common. If you don't overdo it there's a 0.005% chance your card get damaged by overclocking! And it's physically not possible to check if a GPU was OC'ed or not!
But it's worth it! From 925mhz to 1100mhz is around 30% Performance increase!

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 13:03 

I would be in no hurry to buy a new card till the GTX680 is out, and AMD is no longer asking for the "Biggest bad ass" bonus anymore.

I never buy video cards when they come out, because very often they drop in price, I learned my lesson years ago, with two 3Dfx Voodoo 2 cards i got for 300 euro a pop, and after 2 weeks they dropped below 200 euro.

Now i wait till there are no shortages anymore and there is a health competition.

I my self will, (even do i would seriously consider nVidia cards, specially because better SLI support), buy properly first 2 bit properly 3 (because of less problems with micro shutters), and maybe even 4 of these cards and slap a water block on them.

Whit in March/April nVidia will come wit its card's till then i wait en see ^_^

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 13:25 

You can Damage a Card with overclocking? Ah common. If you don't overdo it there's a 0.005% chance your card get damaged by overclocking!

Actually every card is waring out when in use, OCing just speeds up the process, but good cooling will help slowdown the process.

And it's physically not possible to check if a GPU was OC'ed or not!

I actually wish they would put temp changing paint on the back of the card ware the GPU sits, as i really don't care that mouths about buying a second hand OCed card, i do mind, buying a thermal stressed one!

But it's worth it! From 925mhz to 1100mhz is around 30% Performance increase!

A 925mhz to 1100mhz is more like a up to 20% Performance increase.

Got my self 3 5870 Matrix card i OCed from 850MHz standard clock to 1130MHz and i have also max low 20s percent performance boost.

Tho these 7970s specially with good card like these will properly do about 1.4~1.5GHz on water.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 13:35 
Insiders
Insiders

I would be in no hurry to buy a new card till the GTX680 is out, and AMD is no longer asking for the "Biggest bad ass" bonus anymore.

I never buy video cards when they come out, because very often they drop in price, I learned my lesson years ago, with two 3Dfx Voodoo 2 cards i got for 300 euro a pop, and after 2 weeks they dropped below 200 euro.

Now i wait till there are no shortages anymore and there is a health competition.

I my self will, (even do i would seriously consider nVidia cards, specially because better SLI support), buy properly first 2 bit properly 3 (because of less problems with micro shutters), and maybe even 4 of these cards and slap a water block on them.

NVIDIA is worthless for anything other than 3x1L. Until they get their act together for feature set, they don't have my money. If I'm to wait, it'll be the for Sapphire E6 6GB card. NVIDIA has not put anything into the rumor mill to lead me to believe they have any intent on improving NVIDIA Surround for the next series of cards. NVIDIA Surround is pretty much a farce of AMD Eyefinity 1.0...never mind 2.0 that is just rolling out.

Post subject: Moose wrote:By the way,
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 14:36 
Insiders
Insiders

By the way, you've added the 7970 DC2T 3GD5 instead of the 7970 DC2 3GD5. Here's a comparison link (dutch website)

Would you reckon it's worth the 15 bucks? I can overclock graphics cards myself, but there's always a risk that you're going to screw up.

I would almost always buy the oc version of a card, since manufactures use higher bind chips for them. On everage this means that when you overclock a oc version, you will get higher maximum clocks.

You are worried about paying an premium price for cards that have just been released, but you are ok with buying 4 of them later on. That doesn't make sense at all, imo.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

Post subject: Player-x, I'm sorry, but
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 16:11 

Player-x, I'm sorry, but your post doesn't contribute to the thread at all.

Wijkert, my thoughts exactly. I'd go for the OC too. I'm just wondering, are you getting this card as well? It would be nice to share some experiences and maybe write an article for WSGF.

Post subject: Moose wrote:Wijkert, my
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 16:41 
Insiders
Insiders

Wijkert, my thoughts exactly. I'd go for the OC too. I'm just wondering, are you getting this card as well? It would be nice to share some experiences and maybe write an article for WSGF.

Currently I am leaning towards the 7950 OC from Sapphire. I agree with you though that this Asus is geared more towards the wsgf member, since it can support up to 6 monitors. Just figured out that I can run my tv of my Integrated Graphics, which means that I no longer need a HDMI port on my gpu, so choices choices...

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

Post subject: Aren't you worried about
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 17:03 

Aren't you worried about tearing? I mean, with three displayport displays (according to your Sig) at least one of them will be connected to a DVI/HMDI port via an adapter, and that means you'll get the dreaded line, or also called tearing. Am I right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next