Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 07:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 10:52 
Editors
Editors

If EyeFinity works on ATi's low end 5000 series card, Matrox can't even survive by dropping the price.

They need to get triple 1920x1200 working.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 12:13 
Insiders
Insiders

Not ahving to gwete a th2g was my first thoguht when first reading of thisthing.... Of course I'll wait a wheil for better drivers and to work kinks out.

..and to afford three displays. Know way coudl i use anythign smaller than 22".

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 14:50 
Editors
Editors

I hear you Abram, I have wanted 3 monitors for years now, the eyefinity thing just pushed me past my limit because I cut out the $300 Matrox unit, but I still spent more than what I had and shopped as cheap as I could.

I would really highly recommend the Dell 2209WA its 22" and its an e-IPS panel, it goes for $289 right now but I have read several threads of people talking a sales rep down to about $212 for them, its cheaper than the 20" ultrasharp that is selling for $329.

Im on a selling spree right now to make up cost.

Got my pellet rifle on sale, all my Wii games, my Car amps, and have other stuff to go soon :D thats ok I kinda needed to clear out some of the stuff but you can never sell it for what its worth.

Just keep in mind the current issue that we dont know if you need a display port monitor or not for the 3rd monitor, and if an active adapter works and how much they cost. I got a Dell 2408WFP for my 3rd monitor but thats like a $550.00 screen.

Now I am spending my day watching the kids and eyeing my room because I cant fit 3 monitors on my little corner desk lol. So looks like I need to totally rework my room and build a custom desk.

My small projects always end up being so much bigger and more expensive than planned. Gah my arcade project with a budget of like $100 cost me over $500 before it was done, and removing my corner desk means taking apart and breaking part of that project.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 23:05 

So looks like I need to totally rework my room and build a custom desk.

Know what you mean. I've decided to move up into the attic. It's only small but my master plan is coming together...

:D

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 23:08 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]So looks like I need to totally rework my room and build a custom desk.

Know what you mean. I've decided to move up into the attic. It's only small but my master plan is coming together...

:D

Cool glass cockpit setup. :)

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 01:35 
Editors
Editors

My only issue with plans right now is can I drive all 4 of my monitors from the 5870, only need the 3x 24" at one time for computer work, but want to use the left over dvi/hdmi port for the 37" mounted on the wall above them for movies and the wii.

It was said you cant use the 4th port "at the same time" as the other but that leads me to think I can toggle it on/off.

I would use a switch but bad things may happen if I suddenly toggle out one of my 1920x1200 displays to my 1920x1080 screen plus thats more stuff on the desk and more money/cords.

I got my plan worked out, custom size desk going to use 2x file cabinets or similar for end support and a counter top for the desk top/surface. Its going to run down my whole wall at about 8' and its going to be 27" deep (enough to have my computer tower straight back with some room behind for cables and air space.

So now need to go track down the counter top I like and some suitible cabinets for the ends. Should be the cheapest and most effective desk build possible.

Will have L brackets and wood to support it in addition to the cabinets. Need a VESA mount for the 37" now too.

It should be really nice if it all works out as planed.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 05:46 

For me EyeFinity is great because I use multiple screens all day at work, but I love how when doing work each monitor is its own to all applications and windows. With ATI you can setup a hotkey to switch the displays from a single large display to separate smaller displays.

This will be great for when I want to work and watch a movie fullscreen on one display and do work on the other two.

Right now I work on two and bust out my Asus G51 laptop for the HD movies.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 06:13 
Editors
Editors

I have an Asus W90 laptop :D

But yeah my 24's are due in today its good to know I can toggle between the large group and individual monitors because I know for movies and stuff that a single large display would be bad. I still need to know if I can use all 4 ports on the card and toggle between the hdmi port and the dvi port, if I can do that I am going to be happy with my purchase, if not I should have waited for a better card, or the 5870X2 so I get a more significant upgrade from my dual 4850's I run now.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 07:05 
Insiders
Insiders

I have 2 DVI cables connected to each of my monitors, one of them goes to the Th2Go, the other straight to the video card. PC has 1 Th2Go input, 3 monitor inputs. Then I switch profiles from one large spanned desktop to 3 individual monitors.

Takes a while to switch selections though, like a good 30 seconds or so. Sometimes it will bug out and I have to switch profiles twice in a row, so it takes about a minute. Plus 1 of my monitors always has to have its mode switched manually. Hopefully with EyeFinity switching between spanned and individual is much faster since they don't have to change which video out they're using, just how they're rendering the desktop.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 07:13 
Editors
Editors

In the video review that was posted it shows the process of going from 3 monitors to eyefinity and it was instant other than the fact he had to tell the manager program the order of his monitors, however after creating the monitor group you should be able to then toggle them on the fly very quickly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next