Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 20:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 17:09 
Editors
Editors

Or when you uninstall the driver it would be nice if the uninstall process got rid of that. It is obvious the uninstall process is bunk.

+1 on that. Or at least give the option to keep or delete previous settings.

I was more curious if this also had any effect on eyefinity profiles, since I don't have a setup to test it out myself. :)

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 19:25 

@johnnyvd:

In your C:Usersyourusername there is a hidden folder called appdata. If you cannot see it, you can go into folder options and activate "show hidden files and folders". Within that folder, go to localatiace . This is where CCC stores the settings. Delete profiles.xml (or move it to another location) and open CCC. If you make any changes in CCC, a new profile will be created automatically. See if your Eyefinity settings are gone if you remove the profile.

I'll check that, thanks.. Will let you all know what happens.

What worries me more is the fact of the blinking screen.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 19:45 
Editors
Editors

[quote]@johnnyvd:

In your C:Usersyourusername there is a hidden folder called appdata. If you cannot see it, you can go into folder options and activate "show hidden files and folders". Within that folder, go to localatiace . This is where CCC stores the settings. Delete profiles.xml (or move it to another location) and open CCC. If you make any changes in CCC, a new profile will be created automatically. See if your Eyefinity settings are gone if you remove the profile.

Thanks. :) It will be nice to know if this has impact on Eyefinity profiles as well.

As for the blinking, here's a "fix":
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=19170

Not exactly a fix, since it breaks the ability to OC, but its a choice at least. :)

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 19:50 

[quote][quote]@johnnyvd:

Thanks. :) It will be nice to know if this has impact on Eyefinity profiles as well.

Not exactly a fix, since it breaks the ability to OC, but its a choice at least. :)

Just wanted to let you know that my exp with one of my monitors shutting off has only happened since this 10.4 driver. I even did the whole uninstall thing went back to 10.3 but then it was happening in 10.3 as well. Before installing 10.4 this never ever happened with 10.3. So it seemed to remember what ever was causing it with 10.4, and the same with the profile problem. I reformated and installed 10.4. Profiles work correctly but one of my monitors still shuts off every once in a while. I have to unplug it and plug it back in. So again obviously a problem with 10.4, and I have read similar problems with this driver on other forums.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 21:15 

I just reformatted my computer (it was running a bit sluggish) and tried to install the 10.4 drivers (I was running 10.3 before the format). Of course, I am having problem after problem trying to get it to work. And the best part is, it won't let me uninstall it! When I go to add/remove programs and attempt to remove it, all I get is the UAC and then nothing. This goes back to the earlier post about the uninstall being bunk. So I have to format my system again to install 10.3.

You know, for as many people like myself that have invested quite a bit of time and money into Eyefinity, it sure seems that the one common thing ATI has given back to us is headaches.

/rant

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 21:39 

Erm, sorry maybe blinking is not the right word. Blanking or flashing would be better.. DP monitor loses signal completely Just the same as with not having enough juice on the active-adapter's usb connector (mine has, is connected to a USB power adapter).

And sometimes it just distorts and THEN loses signal. Comes back most of the time (sometimes it didn't).

@bowenac: i used Driver Cleaner.net. it really works well erasing everything ATI (except xml profile :wink: )

@Elmakai: this does not really sound like a real ATI driver problem. Most of the time i managed to deinstall the drivers did you give ccleaner a try? (with its add/remove programs)

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 16:09 

I myself also suffer from the same effects. That "fix" from [H] looks like an unelegant and quite possibly innefective fix. I use the manual AMDGPUTOOL to force stock (or whatever) clocks, to no avail. Next time I install some new drivers I'm going to give that [H] fix a whirl, if I can wrap my noggin around it.

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 17:08 

It's pretty obvious ATI/AMD doesn't have any sort of evaluation process when releasing drivers.

It's not too hard to make a list of past issues, that were fixed at one point, and check them at new releases to make sure old problems haven't resurfaced. And its pretty standard for companies to test their products across a matrix of different manufacturers devices, like monitors... with every change to their drivers. Not just a one time test.

Monitor A:
Power on at system boot? y/n
Wake from power saving mode? y/n
wake from sleep? y/n
eyefinity? y/n
desktop video corruption/flicker/cross_monitor_ghosting in eyefinity after monitors return from standby? y/n
montitor profile switching work correctly? y/n

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 23:15 
Editors
Editors

It's pretty obvious ATI/AMD doesn't have any sort of evaluation process when releasing drivers.

It's not too hard to make a list of past issues, that were fixed at one point, and check them at new releases to make sure old problems haven't resurfaced. And its pretty standard for companies to test their products across a matrix of different manufacturers devices, like monitors... with every change to their drivers. Not just a one time test.

Monitor A:
Power on at system boot? y/n
Wake from power saving mode? y/n
wake from sleep? y/n
eyefinity? y/n
desktop video corruption/flicker/cross_monitor_ghosting in eyefinity after monitors return from standby? y/n
montitor profile switching work correctly? y/n

Ati is not alone in things being broken from driver set to driver set. Recently, several driver sets from Nvidia broke fan control and were overriding thermal control frying the cards. This is nothing new.

Lets keep this thread on reporting problems and good things about the new 10.4 set.

A little note related to removed posts: Dave is product manager for ATI, not tech support though he sometimes pitch in to help. We are lucky to have him here, so treat him nicely.

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 23:48 

Is anyone getting horrible tessellation performance compared to fermi cards. I just don't understand it. My cards with 10.4 are performing no where near the results of fermi in benchmarks like Heaven 2.0

Just curious why my cards are performing weaker then fermi cards in tessellation? Will this improve over time or is it a driver bug? Anyone else notice this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next